• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Too many bear stories to list after 13 years in Alaska including several summers in the bush. The one that will wake me up at night 40 years later happened on the Western side of the Alaska Peninsula about 150 miles south of King Salmon on a fine September day out caribou hunting.

Waiting for a herd to move through, I laid down in the moss under a low shrub, there are no trees there, this was the best concealment available, and promptly fell asleep in the sun. Woke up with a very cold feeling and a little voice in the head saying "DO NOT MOVE". Rolled my eyes around and there laying under the bush about 10' to the left was a very large brown bear doing the same thing, caribou hunting. The Brown is considerably larger than a Grizzly due to their diet.

What do you do? I might have been able to shoot the bear, but he would easily (and probably) have killed me before he dropped. This seemed a poor choice at the time.
I could get up and run like hell, knowing this guy could run faster than a thoroughbred race horse. The bear would catch me and eat me. This also seemed a very questionable life choice.
I could lay perfectly still, try to control my breathing and hope the bear would go away. This at the time seem to be the very best bad choice available, and that was the plan followed. The plan actually worked because I am writing this, and am not bear scat turned to fertilizer on the Alaskan Peninsula. After what felt like three days, or maybe it was 20 minutes, an obliging herd of caribou appeared and the bear had a nice fresh cow for dinner. I left in the other direction back to camp, changed my shorts, and drank myself into oblivion.

Got my caribou the next day, but did not fall asleep under a bush again. Lessons learned; brown bears are much scarier without bars separating them from you, and appear much larger up close. They don't smell very good either.
Very lucky indeed!!!!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
This just showed up in my Facebook feed.

"Just in case you were thinking you don't really need bear spray in MT: this bear is being relocated from the Lincoln area to Glacier NP right now. ( Photo courtesy of Michelle Olson)"
FB_IMG_1525192315956.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

"Just in case you were thinking you don't really need bear spray in MT: this bear is being relocated from the Lincoln area to Glacier NP right now. ( Photo courtesy of Michelle Olson)"
View attachment 45124

And in case you never knew it, ^^^ there is the evidence that a grizzly bear has claws that are the size of a person's fingers.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Here in Tahoe we only have black bears which remind me of gigantic chocolate labs. I was just out walking the dog on Saturday and had that feeling something was following/watching me, turned out to be a coyote.

Usually first sign of spring here is when the snow plant pops up and I start running into bear in the national Forrest behind my house. I haven't even seen a paw print since early February. It always gets your heart rate going but I really only worry when I come across the Cubs first or I'm taking trash out to the dumpster.

My best almost piss myself bear experience was at old brockway GC a few years ago. I leaned over on the 3rd hole tee box to set up. A pretty big bear came out of the bushes, walked across the tee box, went right to the trash can and blasted it over with his paw. Within seconds he destroyed the trash and just walked off.

Caught these guys hiding above my dumpster a few years ago. Hard to tell but there's a 250lb mom and 3 light brown Cubs in the tree
image.jpeg

Kings beach
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Beach a couple summers ago

Big guy spotted by the cops in downtown KB late night in front of Taco Bell

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There was a bear in a tree on Denver 7’s live feed from New Jersey.
I’ll see if I can find the link
Edit:

Still not sure why it was live on Denver 7 for New Jersey.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
There was a bear in a tree on Denver 7’s live feed from New Jersey.
I’ll see if I can find the link
Still not sure why it was live on Denver 7 for New Jersey.
I think "Bear stuck in tree" live video is essentially irresistible for any producer baring a missing or crashed airliner, school shooting, or terrorist incident happening at the same time.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Good grief! That one very lucky hunter.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I was a kid I remember a mom and two cubs up in a tree in the town park. Keeping in mind that I grew up in a town with a population of 3,500 people. Back then they had the fire department spray them with water to get them to go away, when all they had to do was leave them along.
I wish I still had the written story about this incident, but it was before the digital age and I'm sure no one thought to keep the news paper with the story.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'm sure no one thought to keep the news paper with the story

Most newspapers store file copies, and nowadays have them on hard disks. You could write the paper and ask.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier

View attachment 45124
While carrying bear spray is a good idea, don’t that to would stop a monster like this under all conditions.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve re-read this thread and I have a concern that a few may not knowingly understand the risks (and more importantly how to get out of them) in dealing with wild life.

This is a small paper back I picked up at a few years back on a lark for fun and found it more interesting and informative than I expected.

https://books.google.ca/books/about/Don_t_Get_Eaten.html?id=kpBOpT1oszIC&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

All I can say is be situationally aware (not paranoid, just aware), it will greatly reduce your chances of being a statistic (BTW this includes the animal Human, which is the most dangerous as it is truely unpredictable and lately becoming more aggressive and attacking at random in unpredictable fashion).

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
While carrying bear spray is a good idea, don’t that to would stop a monster like this under all conditions.
If the wind is blowing in your face, the stream may not be sufficient to stop him until he's already on you. I'll grant you that. But if it all blows back on you, he's not going to think you're so tasty either. My husband got it all over his face, so even though she started gnawing on his head, she left off and stood up enough that he was able to get off a second spray at her and drive her off.

James

Out There
Instructor
Does the noise from firing a pistol deter them? I know someone who deterred a charging moose where that worked enough so they weren't trampled.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
A neighbor here is always scaring them off by doing that. Which means they are probably used to the noise by now and not impressed. Especially if their sweet babies are nearby.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January