• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Average age of vehicles on U.S. roads hits 12.5 years, another record

Average age of vehicles are over 12 years, why?

• Because prices are up?

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Vehicles are lasting longer?

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Other?

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The average age of passenger cars and light trucks in the United States has risen to a new record of 12.5 years. According to a study presented by S&P Global Mobility, there are more than 284 million vehicles being driven on U.S. roads, and that record average age is up by three months compared to 2022. This is the sixth straight year that the average age has risen, and the continuation of the trend wasn't unexpected.

"We expected the confluence of factors impacting the fleet coming out of 2021 would provide further upward pressure on average vehicle age," said Todd Campau, associate director of aftermarket solutions for S&P Global Mobility. The reasons for the aging vehicle fleet are well known by this point. The Covid pandemic initially impacted new vehicle sales, then shortages were caused by a lack of microprocessor chips for the automotive industry. "But the pressure was amplified in the back half of 2022 as interest rates and inflation began to take their toll," Campau added.

Full article here...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Surely nothing ever gets taken off the road just for the sake of it in the US because of the almost infinite market for beaters as transport without a car is so disadvantaged? So if the average age is increasing one must assume cars are lasting longer before they become utterly unfixable/ non viable wrecks.

Cost of new replacements and indeed reduced mileage with WFH patterns may also be contributing factors obviously.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Surely nothing ever gets taken off the road just for the sake of it in the US because of the almost infinite market for beaters as transport without a car is so disadvantaged? So if the average age is increasing one must assume cars are lasting longer before they become utterly unfixable/ non viable wrecks.

Errr, what? Your starting assumption is that nothing gets taken off the road, ever, and your conclusion is that cars are lasting longer now rather than before?

Not sure that can even work as phrased, let alone actually describe the situation?

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
That puts our 2010 Dodge Carry Van right near the top of the bell curve. We used to buy cars about three years old but our next one might be closer to 5-6 years old due to increasing prices. It won't be the van that gets replaced, either. It'll be the 2014 Cruze because the wife has trouble getting in and out of it these days. She wants a 7 passenger SUV (higher off the ground and to haul grandkids on field trips (skiing, too)).

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Errr, what? Your starting assumption is that nothing gets taken off the road, ever, and your conclusion is that cars are lasting longer now rather than before?

Not sure that can even work as phrased, let alone actually describe the situation?
Yeah my phraseology is poor. And I don't mean beaters last literally for ever but while something is viable there is always someone willing to run it. Let's say in a country with stringent roadworthiness testing the maximum practical age is 10 years ( used to be case in Japan and still is in CH etc) then surely the US has a much longer practical life until the cost of repair exceeds the cost of a replacement vehicle.

And of course the longer people hold onto vehicles from new the replacement cost for those lower down the chain increases making beaters viable for longer.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
My view is there are multiple factors in play. First, cars are much more reliable than when I bought my first car, circa 1981. I drive a 10 y.o. Toyota Highlander Hybrid with 140,000 miles on it. I started looking to replace it last summer. Guess what, cars I was interested in were not available for months and with no definitive timeline. The cost of new cars, while not prohibitive, certainly makes me think twice about getting rid of my perfectly functioning 10 year old car. Finally, buying a new car is such a PITA that I hardly have the stomach for it. Even trying to test drive one to see if you like it is nauseating. It really is such an unpleasant experience whereas spending $50-90k on a car, while painful to the wallet, should be a joyous occasion and made simple. Car dealers should make it easy for you to part with your money not walk out feeling like you need a shower!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We were doing pretty well for a while. We had a 2014 Passat diesel (still in the family fleet), a 2006 Ram 3500 (also in the fleet), a 2003 Expedition that was retired before it needed to be because a dumb ass ran into it and totaled it, and a 2005 Mini that suffered the same fate as the Expedition. I currently drive a 2018 Ram as a DD because the Mini was totaled, and Ann drives a 2022 Palisade because the Expedition was totaled.

I think cars last longer now with minimal maintenance. Mind you, I didn't say cheap minimal maintenance. The tolerances are so exact things just keep working. I know there are outliers to this theory but the majority of cars and trucks are well made and should easily top 100,000 miles.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Mostly cost. That's partially driven by the cars having to have things I would skip.
For old car guys like me there's also the new cars are not as appealing. Not enough manual transmissions (e.g. C6 with a real 6 speed and a clutch pedal, and a throttle you blip yourself (even though it's electronic ignition driven by a sensor in the throttle pedal). Stupid electronic parking brakes, instead of a simple effective cable, air bags galore, cammeras, sensors, computer collision avoidance, etc. Expensive computer controlled stuff designed to eventually cost you a fortune, if you want to keep all the trouble codes clear.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have two 10+ yo vehicles that are running strong. Each has some larger fixes (2+K$), but nothing crippling. Both are still comfortable to drive and look good. They are a 2008 Toyota 4Runner and a 2012 Acura TSX wagon. Both were purchased used, at 1-3 years old.

Last summer, picked up a used '17 Kia Sportage. It has some scrapes, so that made negotiations easier, even in the market of supply chain disruptions, and new car shortages. It's purpose also for my kid's first car, so something already dinged has it's advantages. All that said, emotionally the price paid was well over what was targeted.
Truthfully though, I'm not confident this vehicle will last as long as the older two.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My view is there are multiple factors in play. First, cars are much more reliable than when I bought my first car, circa 1981. I drive a 10 y.o. Toyota Highlander Hybrid with 140,000 miles on it. I started looking to replace it last summer. Guess what, cars I was interested in were not available for months and with no definitive timeline. The cost of new cars, while not prohibitive, certainly makes me think twice about getting rid of my perfectly functioning 10 year old car. Finally, buying a new car is such a PITA that I hardly have the stomach for it. Even trying to test drive one to see if you like it is nauseating. It really is such an unpleasant experience whereas spending $50-90k on a car, while painful to the wallet, should be a joyous occasion and made simple. Car dealers should make it easy for you to part with your money not walk out feeling like you need a shower!
Yeah we're in the same boat. We're wfh mostly, we don't need two good cars, inventory is low and prices are high, we can wait. I think it's just that times a lot of people like that.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some models are better than others. I’ll be buried in my 03 4Runner.
IMG_3243.jpeg

Later than sooner, hopefully.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I tend to get a new car every 4-5 years because I get bored. My current car was around $30k when I got it 5 years ago and it's now $34ish K. I am planning on paying my car off next month and am toying with a few months of no car payments before I dive back in.

Toying with different options... We could really be a 1 car household if we wanted since we work remote and tend to stagger our office visit times. My SO would love to get an electric car but nowhere to charge at our condo in VT. He could still get one but that means we take my car to VT every time. I do probably 90% of the driving now so I suppose it wouldn't matter.

Michaells car is a 2013 and paid off so he's loving that...

I don't have to get a new car but I probably will but prices are definitley higher. My friend has the exact car I want and I know what she paid 3 years ago and what they are going for now and they are up $3500 or so.

I was told the used car market is rough now because people aren't trading in their cars like they used to. When I was talking to subaru a few weeks ago my dealer told me they had exactly 9 used cars on the lot. I think people are keeping cars longer nowadays because prices are way up.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cuba, here we come!
I think that’s not wrong. Obviously new cars for everyone is not sustainable and neither is new cars for no one. I just read the average price topped $48k which is sort of obscene. I don’t know the median. Car makers get so much more profit for rich cars that there is declining production of cheaper ones. I bought a new civic on 1985 for $5400, and was shit eating grin thrilled. I really worry what most people can buy now.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Average doesn't equate to needed. I wouldn't use that as a trend line for affordability.

Having said that, even though money isn't really an issue for us, ya don't like feeling ripped off.. so we will wait.

On another note, Cuba, next stop, government healthcare!!! :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online