• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

any good watches on Netflix, Amazon, etc?

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are always looking for new things to watch so i thought I'd start a thread for posting recos of good shows or series. I'm coming to the end of The Good Place (thanks @Dean) and have enjoyed it.
A few others i recommend
The Fall with Gillian Andersen and the lead in 50 Shades stars as a serial killer. Not many people I know have seen it and only a few seasons, but excellent.
True Detectives season 1 is excellent with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConnaughey. Other seasons are not so good.
Dexter has been out forever and is great for the first 4 or 5 seasons but i think it jumped the shark after that although my wife continued watching. Great premise of a serial killer killing all the scumbags.
Curb Your Enthusiasm with Larry David, the writer of Seinfeld and a group of other funny people who actually ad libbed a lot of scenes. Some classic episodes. The early episodes are better as with almost all series.
Black Mirror has some unrelated freaky sci fi episodes.

Apicem-AZ

Booting up
Skier
For quiet, well-written but still makes-me-laugh escapism streaming, The Detectorists. Three seasons plus the obligatory UK Christmas special, and so many good subplots that turn out well. Highly recommended when you want something for relaxation.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
The Kominsky Method, Michael Douglas & Alan Arkin
The Last Kingdom, good historical series based on novels of Bernard Cornwell
Bosch, LA detective based on novels of Michael Connelly

yes, Lillehammer! good call @surfsnowgirl

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Viking comedy
Better than Erik the Viking? (seem like a niche genre)

To be clear, don't take this as a recommendation, but for anyone that's seen it:
Tum tum tum tum te tum tum
or
Ti tum ti tum ti tum ti tum
?

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
I always reluctant to make recommendations - the Good Place is one of the few in recent memory that was very good and seemed to be widely enjoyed in my circles.

I find The Santa Clarita Diet amusing, but probably of more limited appeal. Not something I binge, but good when I'm in the mood for a chuckle (always with the risk of some over the top gore).

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Better than Erik the Viking? (seem like a niche genre)

To be clear, don't take this as a recommendation, but for anyone that's seen it:
Tum tum tum tum te tum tum
or
Ti tum ti tum ti tum ti tum
?
I don’t think I ever saw Erik the Viking, actually quite surprising to myself.
But I’m pretty sure Norsemen is quite different. The humor is generally on modern day issues but in a Viking setting.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really liked the Reacher series. As someone who has enjoyed many of the books Tom Cruise never felt right for me in the movies.
Also liked, in no particular order:
Sons of Anarchy
Boardwalk Empire
Billions
Modern Family
Mandalorean

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going on right now: Julia, on HBO Max. About Julia Child's beginnings with her iconic show. With Sarah Lancashire doing a really good Julia (we used to watch re-runs of the show every Sat morning on PBS in the 90s), Bebe Neuwirth and David Hyde Pierce, together again from Fraser. We've been enjoying it immensely. HBO dropped the first 3 episodes at the get go, but have been dribbling out the last 3 by the week, with the last episode coming in two days.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Brilliant miniseries Mixte (aka Voltaire High) on Amazon explores the integration of mixed-gender classrooms in France in 1963 and artfully recreates a society on the cusp of change. My Amazon account defaulted to dubbed English but I was able to adjust the settings to French with or without subtitles.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
Dark- the best written show I have ever seen. Period. Use the original German. I dont want to say to much for fear of spoilers. Its thoughtful, existential, and, well, dark.

Haunting of Hill House - FANTASTIC horror series. Better than the vast majority of horror movies Ive seen

The Boys- a great dystopian twist/response to all the Marvel superhero movies

Invincible- echoing description for the boys. Watch this one through the end of the first episode before judging.

Umbrella Academy- fun sci fi saga

Cobra Kai- Karate Kid all grown up. Super campy relaxed viewing. A lot of fun if you dont take it too seriously.

Love Death and Robots - Amazing collection of Sci Fi shorts. Seriously dont skip this one.

The Orville- a parody/ love letter to Star Trek by Seth Mcfarland that has somehow managed to be the best star trek series in decades, without being actual star trek.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If we're not talking current/recent shows, you could look at these threads for some ideas:

More current stuff that I've liked...

Ted Lasso (the best of all of these, IMO)
Marvel shows (if you're into the whole MCU)
The Boys
Invincible
The Madalorian/Book of Boba Fett (if you're into Star Wars)
Picard
Fleabag
The Wheel of Time
Peacemaker
Kevin Can F**k Himself
Mythic Quest

Also check out this list: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/browse/tv-list-3/

And that doesn't include everything out there that's well-reviewed....

Sponsor

Staff online