• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another Boot Fitting Post for Bunions and Bad Feet; Touring Boot Option?

cruizchiu

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've been lurking on this forum for years trying to solve boot fitting problems for my wife's bunions; there are so Many good threads on fitting boots, but I think this is a new one... I'm trying to get my wife to ski with me more and the one hurdle we've been facing for a number of years is her foot pain in boots. I've gotten so close, but still not solved. I also have been wanted to get her to back country ski with me, but have not had success.

TLDR: Are touring boots a viable, more comfortable, option for people with bunions who's priority is just enjoying ski turns and not worried about speed or highly technical terrain?

My Goal: Get her to ski with boots that don't hurt without spending a fortune.

Issue: she's got really bad bunions. Like, ones that are eligible for foot surgery but we want to avoid that at all costs. Also, each time I go to a boot fitter, they want me to throw down way more money for custom liners etc, but struggle to explain the details why.

She currently has Dalbello LUPO AX 100 Women's with a heat molded liner, custom footbeds, and a punch out around the bunions. Still having issues, mostly on the forefoot, some on the underfoot. Her foot buckles are barely tightened, but the boot length is perfect, so it makes me thing she needs more punching. I forget the last she was measured with, but can go look if that's helpful.

Question(s)

Since my primary goal is to get her to come backcountry skiing with me, should we ditch additional modifications and get a Touring Boot instead? Are they more comfortable for people with bunion issues? Are there women's touring boots that are truly wide? Are touring boots as easy to modify?
(yes, I know the drawbacks of touring boots generally)

Or, are custom liners like Surefit actually a better solution/approach?

Besides finding yet another boot fitter, are there other options or ideas I should consider?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Besides finding yet another boot fitter, are there other options or ideas I should consider?
I think its a matter of finding a better bootfitter. Punching shells for bunions is nothing new and really should not be an issue, it is not uncommon for us to have to do that with @Tricia's boots. If you are in the Bay area, go see @Winks at California Ski Co. If you come up to Tahoe, we would be glad to help you if you want to come to Reno.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since my primary goal is to get her to come backcountry skiing with me, should we ditch additional modifications and get a Touring Boot instead?
Hard to say without seeing what is going on. I would explore all options with the boot you have before spending more on a whole new boot and starting from scratch .... IF the rest of the boot works for her and the bunion is the only part that needs addressed.
Are they more comfortable for people with bunion issues?
There are no boots that are designed for bunions, accommodations need to be made
Are there women's touring boots that are truly wide?
Because of cost factors and a smaller segment of the market, there are not as many touring boot options as there are as traditional shells
Are touring boots as easy to modify?
(yes, I know the drawbacks of touring boots generally)
Touring boots will tend to use a lighter PBex or Grilamid material which is a little more tempermental to worj with than traditonal PU or PE shells. A fitter has to be more verse to work on them.
Or, are custom liners like Surefit actually a better solution/approach?
As uncompromising as Surefoot liners are, I would say no.

TS
C

cruizchiu

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks @Philpug — We’ll pop over to California Ski Co!
I was just in Reno on Saturday and not sure when I’ll be back.

Good to know regarding touring boots!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am no boot fitter, but I would imagine AT boots are harder to fit for people with bunions than lift serve boots:
The shells are harder to punch, and can not be punched as far.
The liners are thinner

When you add those 2 together, I’d say you are less likely to get the pressure relief you need in a touring boot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am no boot fitter, but I would imagine AT boots are harder to fit for people with bunions than lift serve boots:
The shells are harder to punch, and can not be punched as far.
The liners are thinner
More of the problem here is that the OP needs a 21.5 and there are none. As far as working on a touring boot, they just need proper technique to address issue like punches.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
with the issues she is having it is about giving the forefoot enough space but not too much, as to if a touring boot is better or not , (i missed the bit about 21.5 , Phil, must have inside knowledge or x ray vision) if the size is that thing then the lupo is probably the best she is going to get ,

underfoot pain would suggest there is some compression around the forefoot or a limitation in ankle joint ROM which is loading the forefoot, all of this needs to be assessed, if there is compression be it side to side or from a lack of ROM then the footbed can be modified or replaced to accommodate this, as has been said shell stretching for a bunion is common practice and nothing to be afraid of, biggest issue we see with things like this is the shell stretch is good, but the liner hasn't moved into the stretch so is constricting the width, something as simple as releasing the surface tension of the liner across the forefoot might be the key, put eh liner /footbed onto the foot , make sure the foot is as far back as you can get it and then weight bear, is the liner compressing the forefoot? if so that isa where i would start

good luck getting her sorted, happy wife, happy life = more skiing fore both of you

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have bad bunions, developing hammer toe too. 3rd season happily in custom Daleboots. They work for me. They are based in SLC, but I think there are a few other locations around the US where they are available.

Basilherb

Booting up
Skier
Not a boot fitter, but happened to notice Fischer makes a jr touring boot in a 21.5. Not sure about bunions etc though.

Sponsor

Staff online