• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alpine liners in my AT boots

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I currently have about 25days in my Black Diamond Factor 110s. Plus a 4 day tour. I don't have access to AT gear where I live and have a fairly big foot at 30.5 (US13E). Therefore, I took a punt and purchased online. Shell fit is good but the BD liners just seem way too small. Google tells me that this is a common problem with Factors. Have had the side punched twice and the liners heat moulded. Have tried them with my orthotics, my custom foot beds from another boot, and stock insoles.
I've just returned from a fairly strenuous trip to NZ. Lots of bootpacking and skinning so they should be packed out by now but my right foot is still numb along the outside of my foot so I've decided to do something about it.
Research tells me that Dynafit Radical CRs come in 30.5 with a last of 104 and PU shells ie should be able to hold a punch better than the pebax in the Factors. $800 and 2 states away; I want a bootfitter on hand if I'm going to spend that much so I've been reading up on Intuition liners. I can get a pair fitted in town at my local ski shop for about $300.
While I'm reading up about them I think to myself, BooHead 'OI Mate, why not try the liners from your super comfortable alpine boots (Head Edge+10-30.5,104 last).
They fit great, articulation in walk mode appears to be a bit less.
Any issues I should think about regarding having an alpine liner in an AT boot?
Cheers

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Maybe just check for wear and tear on the liner from friction points on the shell, they may differ from the original.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
They fit great, articulation in walk mode appears to be a bit less.
Any issues I should think about regarding having an alpine liner in an AT boot?

Well, what you mention - articulation won't be as great.

On the flip side, skinning would presumably work at that same articulation point, possibly softening the liner, which would make the alpine boot a bit softer to flex.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
You're fine, although expect more wear in the lining if you're touring regularly. $300 seems excessive for an intuition liner, they retail for like $175. I'd try a LV or MV pro tour or pro tongue as well, those old bdel liners sucked for sure.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would use the alpine liners. If articulation really bothers you, you can cut a bit of material in the back, above the heel, and seal it with neoprene and duct tape.

You can get intuition liners on line and have them baked for less than$40.

300 is robbery.

TS
BoofHead

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
You're fine, although expect more wear in the lining if you're touring regularly. $300 seems excessive for an intuition liner, they retail for like $175. I'd try a LV or MV pro tour or pro tongue as well, those old bdel liners sucked for sure.
Exchange rate. I don't live in US.

Last edited:
TS
BoofHead

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I would use the alpine liners. If articulation really bothers you, you can cut a bit of material in the back, above the heel, and seal it with neoprene and duct tape.

You can get intuition liners on line and have them baked for less than$40.

300 is robbery.
$351aus for Dreamliner or luxury delivered from Intuition in the states.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Use your alpine liners. They'll be a bit heavier, but give them a try and see if the weight is a problem. Upside is that they will ski better and your feet will thank you. Yes, they may show signs of wear after a while but that's better than having you feet beat up, numb, or worse.

TS
BoofHead

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
Update.
Can get a pair of Intuition dreamliners delivered from Canada for $240aus ($190us)
OR
I can get a pair of Dynafit Universal liners for about $100 ($80) delivered from Europe.
At $100, the Dynafit liners might be worth a punt since the Universal liners are designed for the Vulcan/Mercury which have a 103 last.

Sponsor

Staff online