• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did anybody make it out this weekend?

I skied Lake Louise on Saturday and Sunday. Liz was away, and lacking my favorite ski model/photographer, I didn't take any pictures.

It was a good time, but 3 core shots later.....

The good
There's a lot of terrain open. It is pretty rare to have Paradise Bowl, ER 2/East Bowl, Upshoots, Boomerang Bowl, Saddleback Bowl, and almost all of the fontside of Top of the World and Summit open on the first weekend of operations. So, lots to ski, including 3 runs marked as double black on the trail map. This really beats the Wiwaxy 500, which I was expecting.

The snow on the ground was of good quality. There were a couple of small areas of wind-polished hard snow, a touch of crust here and there, and the Wiwaxy was hard-packed, but everything else was really nice. It was easy to ski, and cold! Good stuff.

It wasn't busy. I parked by the daylodge both days, and on Sunday I slept in and arrived at 10:15. I didn't have more than a 2 chair wait all weekend, and not every chair was full.

The bad
As discussed above, Lake Louise needs a 90 centimeter (3 feet) before it will become acceptable to the average skier. The base in the back bowls is currently at 50cm. This means there were a lot of rocks to dodge, and in many cases, resign to hit . The traverses were awful. Bare scree on Home Run coming off Top of the Word (Patrol has a sign up asking you to take off your skis and walk this part), bumpy rocks on the cat track to the summit from Top of the World (netting for the WC Races funnels everyone to one direction - patrol spent all day shoveling snow onto the track, but most people were stopping, slipping and snowplowing (afraid to hit rocks), so it was a losing battle), and the entrance to sadleback was also awful. Saddleback is a green run, but marked as a black diamond due to conditions. Coverage on the main runs varied. It was quite good on boomerang (once you get through the wind tunnel) and the Grizzly bowl/gully/steep and flat area as well as outer limits. It was acceptable on Paradise bowl, fenceline gully, upshoots, and the rest of the front side of the summit, but pretty rough on ER1/East Bowl.

I had my rock skis, and didn't make too much of an effort to dodge rocks. I had a good time, but the skis were pretty thrashed.

The ugly
There is still only one way down. Wiwaxy has a couple of slick spots, and it is busy. It is also the only run called a "green" with the early season conditions, so it holds ALL the beginners. The only open washrooms and lodge are at the base, so it sees a lot of traffic. It also doesn't quite have wall to wall coverage, so it felt congested. Patrol and volunteers were out making sure people stayed in control, and within a cruising speed, but this felt dangerous.

Anyway, the hill probably shouldn't be open, as many members of the general public won't be too impressed. If you have disposable gear though, its fun. I'm happy patrol is giving die-hards a chance to ski with marginal coverage. Let's hope everyone stays safe!

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just a quick pre-weekend update. We have been getting snow this week. It's a modest amount, but it still helps!

Lake Louise is now reporting a 69 centimeter base, and Sunshine has an 81 centimer base. So we are inching (centimetering?) our way to more respectable coverage. You are still going to hit a lot of rocks in the alpine, but the gentler terrain down low should be skiing better.

AND Lake Louise is opening all lifts tomorrow! This means we will have a number of new runs to ski off the Gondola, Larch, and Ptarmigan. Larch can be especially good when it opens.

Most of the steep alpine will remain closed, but it is shaping up.

The resorts outside of Banff are looking good too....well, better actually, at least up high. There haven't been any rumors of preview weekends though. :(

For thanksgiving travelers...this ain't Targhee, but we have skiing! And not just a WROD.

But honestly...BRING ROCK SKIS....you will need them.

The forecast for the next week looks promising.....hoping for the best!

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied at Lake Louise both days last weekend. It was really great! They opened all lifts on Saturday, so we were able to catch fresh tracks on a lot of new terrain. The Ptarmigan, Raven, and Lynx runs were skiing great with few hazards.

Lake Louise has received over 2 feet of snow since last weekend, and conditions are much improved. The high traverse to the summit from top of the world, which was brutal last week, is now blocked off by the World Cup course. Everyone needs to go skiers left to start now. This traverse if rocky, but there are some clean lines. The entrance to Saddleback is also clean.

It snowed Saturday night, all day Sunday, and again last night. We were skiing powder and cut up snow all weekend. The base is now 116 in the back bowls, but it is unconsolidated...so you will still find rocks. I had a really nasty ding when I found a shark on the North Cornice area. I also tweeked my knee hitting unseen deadfall in the trees around the old eagle lift. I also saw a boarder get seriously hurt charging into a rock feild, and falling onto more rock. So be careful out there! There is some untracked snow below the snow fence at the top of top of the world....It's open, but there is no clean way though. Stay away!

The really steep stuff is closed (still waiting on 50% of the runs), and the lower mountain is limited to Wiwaxy, but it is really good for early season!

Similar snow at Sunshine....still no rumblings about early openings in BC.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Yep I hear yah.....there were some really great runs to be had - but sometimes with a price to be paid. We skied with the early condition mindset but some of the spots were fun to let loose in. We skied LL on Friday and it was in great shape relatively speaking-we had a blast!

I think your remark about how the hill's condition is viewed or a skier's on-hill experience...good or bad...is very dependent on skier ability level and therefore terrain you can access and your skills in being able to "deal with things on the fly...ie: rocks/shrubbery etc.) If you are beginner or intermediate front side skier only...then for the last two weeks at LL it's not going to be quite as fun as being able to access summit or backside terrain-or even to be able to manage crowds in the run or bad/rocky traverses. We went the first weekend after opening and the traverses were brutal. We found our own work-arounds to avoid the congestion and rocks (or at least fewer rocks!) but it would have been pretty tough without those alternatives.

FYI: Sunshine was stellar on Saturday as we got there early and were in line because Standish was set to open for the first time this season.... Our first several runs were as nice as some mid winter rips. Pushing over our thighs a couple of places. TeePee and Angel were running but the runs are kinda "average" given the effort on Saturday as the wind came up and visibility was a bit flat up there. Wawa was fine but got skied out pretty quick. Wish goat's eye and more of the upper stuff was open, but hopefully soon. Did manage to do a few quick un-tracked sidecountry runs that were super as well. Did a few runs that were not as "super" too...but hey if one core shot is the price of admission for the great days out so far... I can live with that.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way things are shaping up too... considering it's only the third week in November.

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great clarification Vinny.

I absolutely agree. The Lake is skiing good for better skiers, but it is not a good choice for beginners or intermediates. Apart from Wiwaxy, which is very crowded, there are no true green runs available. Pika is open from the Gondola/Ptarmigan to Paradise only. So while Pika is a green run, and skiing like a true green, if you choose to ski it you must ride the Paradise lift back. This leaves you with an option of the Black and Double Black runs directly off the lift, or Saddleback a "green" that the resort says skis like a black run due to rocks, or Homerun, a "blue run" that skis like a black due to the rocky entrance.

The only true intermediate terrain is off larch, where the Larch run is skiing like mid-season. Unfortunately, this can only be accessed via the Ptarmigan or Raven runs, both black diamond runs on the trail map.

Obstacles on and off trail require quick thinking, quick turning and some rock hopping.

runbikeski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'll be in Banff area December 3-8. Does anybody know if the Costco in Calgary still carries discounted tickets for SS or LL?

Thanks

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'll be in Banff area December 3-8. Does anybody know if the Costco in Calgary still carries discounted tickets for SS or LL?

Thanks

I don't know about Costco discount tickets but I do know that out of town ski trips in early Dec. do NOT offer the best bang for the buck.

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier

Thanks

I skied with a guy yesterday who purchased tickets from costco for Lake Louise, so yes they still have these. I would guess that they are available for Sunshine too.

They typically come in 2 packs.

From what I have read:

Sunshine 2 tickets for $168.99

Lake Louise: 2 tickets for $165.99

The discount cards are another option.

They tend to be a better day if you do 4 or more days at a specific resort (lake louise and sunshine are on different cards), and are especially good for 7 days. Unfortunately, they are non transferable, while the costco tickets are totally transferable.

https://www.skibanff.com/ski-ride/passes/sunshine-super-card
https://www.skilouise.com/louise_cards.php

For card use:

At Lake Louise:
Day 1 109 (cost of card)
Day 2 85
day 3 85
day 4 free

Total cost is 279 vs 332 at costco

At Sunshine
Day 1 99 (cost of card)
Day 2 95 (85 on weekday)
Day 3 95 (85 on weekday)
Day 4 Free

Total cost is 269 (weekday use) to 289 (weekend use) vs 338 at costco

Other option is Mountain Collective: 489 usd (621 CAD) Edit Mountain collective is selling to Canadians at par until December 1. The cost is 489 CAD for Canadians.

https://tmccanada.ltibooking.ca/pur...=LaLCANDiscount&utm_campaign=CANIncremental17

Gets you 2 free days at lake louise and 2 at sunshine. 50% off other days and several partner resorts that offer the same deal. This works best if you plan on traveling to another Mountain Collective destination this year.

Last edited:

runbikeski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thank you Mike Rogers. That was very helpful.

I skied with a guy yesterday who purchased tickets from costco for Lake Louise, so yes they still have these. I would guess that they are available for Sunshine too.

They typically come in 2 packs.

From what I have read:

Sunshine 2 tickets for $168.99

Lake Louise: 2 tickets for $165.99

The discount cards are another option.

They tend to be a better day if you do 4 or more days at a specific resort (lake louise and sunshine are on different cards), and are especially good for 7 days. Unfortunately, they are non transferable, while the costco tickets are totally transferable.

https://www.skibanff.com/ski-ride/passes/sunshine-super-card
https://www.skilouise.com/louise_cards.php

For card use:

At Lake Louise:
Day 1 109 (cost of card)
Day 2 85
day 3 85
day 4 free

Total cost is 279 vs 332 at costco

At Sunshine
Day 1 99 (cost of card)
Day 2 95 (85 on weekday)
Day 3 95 (85 on weekday)
Day 4 Free

Total cost is 269 (weekday use) to 289 (weekend use) vs 338 at costco

Other option is Mountain Collective: 489 usd (621 CAD)

Gets you 2 free days at lake louise and 2 at sunshine. 50% off other days and several partner resorts that offer the same deal. This works best if you plan on traveling to another Mountain Collective destination this year.

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
The last link above is to Craig Morris' Fernie reports, which were one of the first online blogs starting 21 years ago. I contacted him and made a few turns with him in 1999 (with Adam), 2004 and 2013 (with Liz). You'll see in that link above that I skied with him on Feb. 27, 2014 which turned out to be the last day he skied. He moved to Vancouver Island that summer. The site is still useful as a detailed guide to Fernie's terrain, with comments and pictures of most runs.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
So the white stuff was falling from the sky at Sunshine Village today. Can't ask for a better day for the 1st time out on snow this season.
20171125_104226_002.jpg

Goat's Eye is closed, and looker's left of the Great Divide lift is closed. Everything else is open with really lovely, nice dry, packed powder.
20171125_143004_003.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like a good day at Sunshine.

Lake Louise got a bunch of rain on the lower slopes earlier this week. There was a rain crust on the lower slopes.

The Alpine was excellent though, and Whitehorn 1 was particularly nice.

Stay on Paradise and the Summit platter and you will have fun. Sharpen your edges if you want to ski elsewhere.

Speaking of sharp edges...
...i ditched my rock skis yesterday. No significant impacts! Coverage is very good for this time of year!

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Holy cow. The white stuff ALL DAY at sunshine today. BIG flakes! Accumulation is looking good. Was pushing around quite a bit of snow in the afternoon off of Standish, strawberry, and wawa lifts in the bumps and trees.

Down at the parking lot it was all rain, though. :doh: Heading up to louise Monday. Hope the back bowls, at least, got similar snow to what I was seeing today at sunshine.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Yep...totally agree.... Friday and Saturday at Louise was pretty good but you had to stay high! Whitehorn did indeed have the best snow. Summit (lift line trees/ outer limits) and Paradise (fence line/cirque/etc) were also in great condition. Trees off Larch also good.

Sunshine today was pretty nice today. Vis on the upper chairs was hit or miss all day with windpack off Angel and Teepee Town. Standish and Wawa were skiing nicely with some great freshies to be had with a bit of effort. Snow started to get a bit heavy near end of day but it was coming down -big flakes!
Lower elevations: No need for a shower as you got it on your way to the parking lot....Yikes!

This weekend was also the first time we noticed the start of the weekly "Return to Calgary 500" auto race....red tail light gong-show-a-rama. The pilgrimage has begun in earnest!

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interested in hearing about today @blah .

I needed a bit of cardio, so I was playing around in the meadows in the skoki region yesterday. I skipped the sk iout at the end of the day and rode the Ptarmigan Chair back to the front side. (horray for passes!).

It raining at Temple, but the snow line wasn't too far up Ptarmigan...and it was coming down pretty good. I suspect the upper slopes will be good again...but maybe not the bottom half of the mountain. High winds yesderday, so the back side likely has the good stuff.

Lake Louise and Sunshine are well known for dodging rain during the winter months. The last few years have seen a few though.... At least this wet snow is good for building a base!

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is it deja vu? Sure seems like it. Snowing all day at Louise on Monday. And that was in addition to the reported 12 cm of fresh that fell overnight. No pictures of the back bowls. Was too busy laying fresh tracks.
20171127_093438_005.jpg

I took a couple of warm up runs on the front side after catching first chair on Glacier and Top of the World. Front side was complete crap. Back side it is, then, for the rest of the day. Morning, was able to get the goods on ptarmigan glades, east bowl trees, pika trees, paradise cornice, crow bowl. The top half of all the runs were deep and creamy. The bottom half was more crunchy and variable under the 12 cm of fresh that fell overnight. Break for lunch, then for the afternoon, headed up to summit. Visibility was pretty touch and go with the super flat light, but then we waited around 5 min for a little patch of sunshine, which paid off. Upper boomerang and brown shirt were completely untracked with smooth, creamy pow. AND I could see. Could life get any better? Definitely the highlight of the day. Said goodbye to the back side with one final run down crow bowl and ptarmigan trees. To get back to base from ptarmigan lift, the trees under the old, defunct lift line (is that Eagle Poma?) offered up freshies at 3:30pm. Wow! And then finally wiwaxy the rest of the way down. I can see how wiwaxy would be terrifying on a day with crowds.

And as an out-of-towner, no, I did not find all these stashes myself. I signed up for an all-day group lesson, thinking that would be the most efficient way to chase down the goods on a pow day in the back bowls. Turns out that I was the only person signed up in my group. Lucky. Turned into a de facto guided, private lesson. My guide/instructor, Sam, seemed super happy to be towing around only one person, too, on what became a legendary conditions day. Legendary, for November at least. Apart from shredding pow, I asked for some tips on jumping off of stuff and skiing switch. And that was fun to practice, too.

So 3 trips to Banff for me since last season, and all 3 trips have been A++, volume up to 11. Hotel in Calgary tonight, and fly back home tomorrow. I'll be back again in March.

Oh yeah, and what trip to Calgary would be complete without a post-ski dinner run to Shawarma Palace on Calgary's international blvd. I found this little nasty hole in the wall (but in a good way) this past Sept at the tail end of a hiking trip vacation to Banff and Yoho. Yum! It's a good thing I don't live in Calgary. I'd be fat from hitting the shawarma every single day.
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/shawarma-palace-calgary-4

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Usually don't road trip to the Rockies before early Feb for better coverage.
This year Feb is out and bumping the first road trip to mid January. Sounds like base is building a bit earlier than normal, so all good news.
Wet and windy on the coast so more is headed your way coming fast.

Sponsor

Staff online