• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Adding heat to the garage work area

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m wondering if there is a way to install a pull down screen or partition to mostly isolate the work bay from the rest of the garage. This would contain your heat better and decrease operational costs.
We have toyed with it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The more I look at it, the more I think a divider/curtain is the way to go. Curtain will be 9x17 and will tuck into the section between the two doors when not in use. Now, do a cable curtain ($) or a track system ($$$)? This will allow us to do the smaller heater.

IMG_2200.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The more I look at it, the more I think a divider/curtain is the way to go. Curtain will be 9x17 and will tuck into the section between the two doors when not in use. Now, do a cable curtain ($) or a track system ($$$)? This will allow us to do the smaller heater.

View attachment 199873
Start out with some moving blankets on a curtain rod setup. Cheap and warm.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Since heat rises I would think you would want whichever system goes all of the way to the ceiling to limit heat loss. The problem I see with a curtain rod is it will need to be supported in the middle which then diminishes the ability to move the curtain all of the way to the end. However, moving blankets are a great idea since they are thick.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Amazon have some light duty ceiling mounted tracks with roller hooks that can span up to 18'.

For a heavy duty setup, go unistrut with roller hooks.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have a curtain, but rather an actual dividing wall. When we bought the house, one of the stalls was walled off, which I thought was stupid.

Turned out I loved it, and I continued the wall when I expanded the garage. Walls make great places to hang things.

With a heater on each side, I keep the workshop side at ~50 and the car side between 40 and 45.

Wall of Skis 1 of 2.JPG

In your circumstances, I think a curtain would be great, and definitely allow for the smaller heater.

And save me $50!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier

Not trying to get all building science on ya, but whats above the garage? Living space, attic, roof? Open attic could be a easy candidate for abit of insulation upgrade. The wall(s) of the side of your garage your primarily concerned with is an exterior wall or interior wall? And garage door, is it insulated?(possibly another moving blanket against that surface?). Floor, did they put down any insulation before slab was poured? If not could you stand to build a 1” thick insulated platform over the cement floor? Or stall matts to insulate?

Basically Im trying to say if you have this isolated space, you maybe able to improve its ‘building envelope’ with some additional insulation so you may not have to pour as much btu’s into the space.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am usually old school but the application of the new split units for heat and A/C has blown my mind. Add in what @chris_the_wrench said about proper insulation and you would be looking at a minimal energy cost for heat and cooling.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I looked into a mini-split heat pump system when I installed garage heat, and it was tempting, but at 5X the cost, I had to pass.

Skis to buy, doncha know!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
How cold does in actually get in your garage without any added heat? I had the 7500w unit in my one car garage and it would warm it up pretty good even when it was below freezing out. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the Reno area doesnt get quite as cold as NE PA. You may want to give it a try before going to the trouble of rigging up a curtain system. Unless you really like it toasty...

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Not trying to get all building science on ya, but whats above the garage? Living space, attic, roof? Open attic could be a easy candidate for abit of insulation upgrade. The wall(s) of the side of your garage your primarily concerned with is an exterior wall or interior wall? And garage door, is it insulated?(possibly another moving blanket against that surface?). Floor, did they put down any insulation before slab was poured? If not could you stand to build a 1” thick insulated platform over the cement floor? Or stall matts to insulate?

Basically Im trying to say if you have this isolated space, you maybe able to improve its ‘building envelope’ with some additional insulation so you may not have to pour as much btu’s into the space.
Agreed. Let's turn this little heater upgrade into a full fledged reno project! " More complicated - more expensive is my motto!

Not really, but there is wisdom in taking steps to limit the size and cost of the heat source and putting some investment into the building envelope- especially insulating the roll up doors.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Granted we are coming into Spring but as a Summer project will be adding heat to the SkiTalk work center.

We will run a dedicated 220 to the work space and thinking about two 7500w ceiling heaters directed to the area. I am looking at two of these...

It must not get very cold out there. I run a 75,000 btu diesel salamander in mine!
I can go from 20 degrees to 60 degrees in just minutes....

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
All natural heat.
Taco-Bell.png

Sponsor

Staff online