• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A proposal for a new idea for choosing future Gathering destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As for Jackson, I found affordable options, including the Elk Country Inn which punched way above the others in terms of price vs. amenities

+1 -- that is the place, if you're willing to stay in town.

Yellowstone NORDIC GTG! Who's in?

Yes, the Rendezvous Trail System is astounding. Pro Tip: Ski it Monday, the only day they don't groom. It's typically still skiing great, and there can be literally zero cars in the lot.

But Lone Mountain Ranch also skis really well, esp if you like big climbs and descents. Plus, at least a long time ago, their after-skiing brunch was to die for, located in a lodge to die for.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Really enjoyed working through all these posts over the last few days – War and Peace, with a slight diversion through Emily Post’s Guide to Online Messaging Etiquette. Now I understand MDF’s slightly bemused look when I asked him at the NEG whether there was any progress on deciding a Gathering location for next year…

A couple thoughts from my perspective, as somebody who’s probably attended 7 or 8 Gatherings. Like others, I have got so much out of this community of skiing fanatics and I want to do what I can to make it work for everybody.

It seems to me that a shortage of guides is at the root of some of the issues that folks have identified. I would say that the sweet spot for a group is about 6-10 skiers – enough to be social but not so big that it’s tough to stay together and to please everybody with regard to terrain and speed. However, for many Gatherings, we don’t have enough people who are willing to volunteer as guides to keep groups at that size.

I wonder if it would help if we changed the name from “guide” to “group leader” or something similar, and lowered expectations just a little. For my part, there are several resorts I’ve visited a few times and know my way around, but where I don’t have all the detailed inside knowledge that being a “guide” implies. Hence, I have never volunteered to guide. However, I would be more than happy to be the nominated leader for a group of Ski-Talkers of similar ability and make a few suggestions for early runs, be responsible for making sure we all assemble at the bottom of the lift, take special care of any newbies etc. Then with a smaller group and once we’ve done a few runs together, it gets a lot easier to mutually agree on what to explore next. But just having a designated “leader” who makes the final decisions makes the group dynamics much easier.

With regard to location, I like most of the places on the list, but share the concerns about JH. I would advocate particularly for Summit County, with Copper as our “base mountain” and days at A-Basin also, plus Loveland options. I think Copper is much under-rated and has plenty of terrain to explore, suited to different ability levels. There are multiple lodging options (on-mountain and off-mountain), at a range of price points, albeit not as cheap as SLC perhaps. Copper used to do very reasonable lift and lodging deals, which might help for non-Ikon holders, but not sure if they still do those. And flights to Denver are plentiful.

Final thought. I’m not sure that striving to make the Gathering ever larger should be our defining priority. I’m not saying we should exclude anybody or limit numbers, but for me, 15-50 feels like the sweet spot for a Gathering. It has critical mass to form groups at different skiing levels and offer chances to meet new people, is manageable for social events, and doesn’t seem to be TOO onerous for the Gathermeister. And if we focus on bringing together a group of people of that size who really like to ski, rather than trying to expand to suit a much broader range of interests, that feels like a home run for me.

I’ll finish with a thank you to everybody who puts the effort in to organize Gatherings and then welcome new attendees. I’m not going to mention names back from my first Gathering in SLC where I came for just one day to sample this bunch of Internet strangers, but you all know who you are :). You made me very welcome and I will always be grateful!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if it would help if we changed the name from “guide” to “group leader” or something similar, and lowered expectations just a little. For my part, there are several resorts I’ve visited a few times and know my way around, but where I don’t have all the detailed inside knowledge that being a “guide” implies. Hence, I have never volunteered to guide. However, I would be more than happy to be the nominated leader for a group of Ski-Talkers of similar ability and make a few suggestions for early runs, be responsible for making sure we all assemble at the bottom of the lift, take special care of any newbies etc. Then with a smaller group and once we’ve done a few runs together, it gets a lot easier to mutually agree on what to explore next. But just having a designated “leader” who makes the final decisions makes the group dynamics much easier.
+1

James

Out There
Instructor
Yep, @AlanR is on to something.
I nominate him as a group leader. He passes the height requirement.

It’s like a basket of loose eggs at the store. Everyone wants to buy their egg, but there’s only so much mishandling that can happen before the whole group loses.

a7555311-29ce-4c2e-a16c-e32afc6d5d95.jpeg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree @AlanR has a good idea. I most definitely do not pass any height requirement. But if the gathering ever gathers at Winter Park, I am happy to "lead" or maybe better yet "show" a group around. I am also happy to show folks around Ski Santa Fe if they tag an extra day onto the Taos gathering.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree @AlanR has a good idea. I most definitely do not pass any height requirement. But if the gathering ever gathers at Winter Park, I am happy to "lead" or maybe better yet "show" a group around. I am also happy to show folks around Ski Santa Fe if they tag an extra day onto the Taos gathering.
Ski Santa Fe is definitely one of those "More than worthy of a day's side excursion" ... from Taos or wherever.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s like a basket of loose eggs at the store.
Are we doing this AGAIN? They're not "loose eggs" any more than a basket of mushrooms or cucumbers are "loose." They're just eggs.

Do we want to talk about loose women next? Why aren't there loose men? (I know. All men are loose. Which is sort of the point.)

</drift>

James

Out There
Instructor
Are we doing this AGAIN? They're not "loose eggs" any more than a basket of mushrooms or cucumbers are "loose." They're just eggs.

Do we want to talk about loose women next? Why aren't there loose men? (I know. All men are loose. Which is sort of the point.)

</drift>
Yes, the lessons will continue until the test is passed. Tuna can always be called in as a substitute teacher, and he may have unconventional methods.

Look at that photo. Those eggs are loose.
I’ve got tuna, and merriam-webster on the case. I think our work here is done.

IMG_2179.jpeg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But Lone Mountain Ranch also skis really well, esp if you like big climbs and descents. Plus, at least a long time ago, their after-skiing brunch was to die for, located in a lodge to die for.
We did a site visit at Lone Mountain Ranch prior to the hall of fame events at Big Sky, and were treated to a dinner we wouldn't have been able to afford on our budget. This was all to entice us to have attnedees stay there. The food was INCREDIBLE!!!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper used to do very reasonable lift and lodging deals, which might help for non-Ikon holders, but not sure if they still do those.
They do. They also still sell 4 packs (with bonus 5th day), for $349.... I don't know if they change over time in price or with the bonus day, like other pass products.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Good to know, Dave, that they sell lift ticket packages also. I was thinking more about low-cost lift tickets when you book their lodging. This is what I did with my family a few years ago, and it was a pretty good deal. Looks like they still have that option "Stay with Copper and enjoy the best lift ticket package prices available With rates starting at $49/Day" (although who knows how achievable the $49 a day actually is...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online