• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
See, you're too attached to them. They're poles. The only time you're using them now is getting to the lift. It will force you to learn to skate- another plus.

He is right^. You are suffering from T rex arms, and you mind is very aware you need to hold you hands some way to avoid the poles getting in your way. Losing them until you are skiing parallel on matched skis with femur/hip socket separation would be for the best. there really is no objective reason to have them. you subjective idea that they are comforting some how((when the reality is they are holding you back) is not a good reason to not lose them.

In all honestly your still twisting your pelvis, which is leading your legs/feet. You need to get your femurs to turn before your pelvis and/or find a ski coach that will teach you that with out hesitation.

Powder of any sort is going to be impossible for you at this point in time. It harsh but its true. until you have round parallel turn powder isnt not worth trying, it may only build the bad habits that are developing.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Better yet would be to plan on instruction.

I think both can be true. Get instruction. Plan to fall. Falling isn't failing - it's part of the learning process.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is powder and there is powder...avoid the former...or is the latter? Hmmm.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s a cool morning and I am up early,so I figured why not sit outside and read by the fire pit
C5D27B57-4A5C-4DAF-9D86-6881A6EE5FBF.jpeg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
All packed up and headed to Vail tomorrow.

Gonna make a few turns with @PTskier until he gets tired of my slowness. Should be a fun week

I'm a slow skier. Fly your slow skier flag high. It's a lot harder to go slow than fast :). I'm sure you'll have a blast with PTskier. Skiing is also about being social and skiing with your friends and having fun woot. I hope you have an absolute blast!!!! :) cheers

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:yeah:
:bestday:

Had some serious break throughs today.

Skied over 10,000’ vertical

Skied over 15 miles

Top speed was 28.5 mph, not my fastest, but close

More importantly, I felt like I made a major jump in technique today. I was really able to tip my uphill ski and get NEARLY parallel most of the time.

Also added in faux pole planting movements as a step towards actually planting the poles. I think this was a huge move forward as well.

Lots more to do, but today was a big advance for me.

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
:yeah:
:bestday:

Had some serious break throughs today.

Skied over 10,000’ vertical

Skied over 15 miles

Top speed was 28.5 mph, not my fastest, but close

More importantly, I felt like I made a major jump in technique today. I was really able to tip my uphill ski and get NEARLY parallel most of the time.

Also added in faux pole planting movements as a step towards actually planting the poles. I think this was a huge move forward as well.

Lots more to do, but today was a big advance for me.

What lifts/ area of the mountain were you on ?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What lifts/ area of the mountain were you on ?

Staying in Lionshead
Born Free Lift up
Traversed on Cubs Way to Lodgepole and down to Avanti Express Lift
Then up Wildwood Express (# 3 I think)
I skied Meadows and Overeasy too many times to count.
Meadows had some ungroomed areas which was a new experience for me.
The dip in Meadows nearly got me on the first time down, after that I did the Bode Miller DH tuck starting about 50 yards before the lift pole and straight lined it to have enough speed/momentum to get up the hill where it joins Honky Dory

I eyeballed Honky Dory and that will be in my plans tomorrow mid-morning.

I also plan to ski Tin Pants and that area tomorrow prior to lunch.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Staying in Lionshead
Born Free Lift up
Traversed on Cubs Way to Lodgepole and down to Avanti Express Lift
Then up Wildwood Express (# 3 I think)
I skied Meadows and Overeasy too many times to count.
Meadows had some ungroomed areas which was a new experience for me.
The dip in Meadows nearly got me on the first time down, after that I did the Bode Miller DH tuck starting about 50 yards before the lift pole and straight lined it to have enough speed/momentum to get up the hill where it joins Honky Dory

I eyeballed Honky Dory and that will be in my plans tomorrow mid-morning.

I also plan to ski Tin Pants and that area tomorrow prior to lunch.

^ the area around Sourdough is great for learning and practice - never really crowded. How is the snow? Will be out next week.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
^ the area around Sourdough is great for learning and practice - never really crowded. How is the snow? Will be out next week.

Agreed, but the terrain for him to get out between the bottom of the Sourdough and the bottom of Northwoods can be a little tricky even though it's a green. If Hunky Dory turns out to be in the comfort zone the Sourdough area would be a next great place for him to try.

53 If you do head over to Sourdough do consider downloading on the Riva Bahn Lift to get back to the bottom (arriving at Golden Peak) There is a lot of LONG flat (road) terrain past the bottom of the Northwoods chair to contend with. I believe they do download on that lift all season, but confirm that before you go.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Not to be contrary - and Ive never seen him ski - but if he can make it to #14 from Lionshead - he certainly can make it to the bottom of #11 on the green circle and back up - take another green circle - i.e. swingsville to the bottom of #3, up and back to Lionshead.

Sponsor

Staff online