• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 New England Gathering, Raclette Night, Sunday March 24, who's in?

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Le Bistro Horizon at Hotel Horizon at Mont Sutton has Raclette Night every Sunday 5:30pm, 44$ per person (that's $32.60 US), beverages not included, full menu available.
The plan is to ski Mont Sutton that day; Le Bistro Horizon is 1km from the mountain.
This event is endorsed by @KevinF, our fearless Gathermeister.
They require a reservation for parties of 6-16, which I'm coordinating, to Kevin's relief I'm sure.
1. @DebbieSue

James

Out There
Instructor
OK, I don't want to look it up. What does Raclette mean?
It’s a type of cheese where they melt the top layer, scrape it off, serve it. Usually you go as long as you want. Most normal folk can’t go that long. Usually eaten with bread and little onions that are boiled, cornichons, etc. no idea what they do in Quebec.
It’s good maybe once a year. Like fondue.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Usually eaten with bread and little onions that are boiled, cornichons, etc. no idea what they do in Quebec.

Potato is always fun.

On the upside, the local white whines wash down the cheese fat rather well. Easily the best use for the chalky citrus Seyval I can think of.

Last edited:

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s a type of cheese where they melt the top layer, scrape it off, serve it. Usually you go as long as you want. Most normal folk can’t go that long. Usually eaten with bread and little onions that are boiled, cornichons, etc. no idea what they do in Quebec.
Traditionally only little potatoes along with the cheese, cornichons, pickled onions and often charcuterie. It can be done as a huge hunk of cheese over a fire with someone scraping some off as it melts, or at home it is more common to use a "gourmet set" which I like. Basically everyone has their own tiny skillet and a wooden spatula, put over a flame like a fondue pot uses. I like that better because you can customize how you like your cheese. DH usually puts two slices in his pan at a time and just likes it gooey. I do one slice of cheese at a time and like it slightly crispy. My mom now has an electric gourmet set where you slide the pan with cheese under a heating element to melt it, and there is a stone topper than you can also use to cook strips of steak, veggies etc. at the same time. Yep, I like to play with my food :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Does chocolate not count?
Let’s throw that to tuna for a ruling. I’d say no.
But you know, when you eat with French people, you think you’re done, and then here comes the cheese course.

James

Out There
Instructor
I discovered the Swiss can make bad chocolate. Migros store brand we got would sit there uneaten, even rejected by kids. Maybe slightly above Hershey Dark, but barely.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online