• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2024 New England, errrr, Canada Gathering trip report, eh?

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wondering if that contributed to the crowds you all ran into on Sunday? The snow and driving issues kept people at bay on Saturday, and everything exploded on Sunday?
From reports I heard, Jay had their busiest day of the year on Sunday-the line of cars coming to the US when we went though the border going into Quebec was quite long. According to my brother in law, Cannon was sold out by 11:00 on the same day (yesterday). I think the sunshine and storm totals combined with the poor season in the east turned every ski area into a lemming attraction.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another "All praise the Gathermeister" to @KevinF for an excellent NEG! I was part of the contingent that arrived the second day for Owl's Head and third day Sutton. Like the Tahoe National Gathering this year: multiple resorts, folks staying here and there, challenging weather, challenging driving made it hard for everyone to be at everything. On the other hand . . . it's fun to check out new ski areas and new parts of the Northeast, and fun to ski and hang out with new and old friends. Would I return? Yes. Sutton especially had lots of challenge, lots of charm. Loved the Sous-Bois and the excellent trail names: Boo-Boo, Youpe-Youpe, Alouette (everyone sing). Late season late afternoon sun casting shadows on our final runs, no wind, no people was spectacular. Shout out to @Erik Timmerman @James for video and photos. And to @Jilly for translating the Canadian and the Quebecois! A la prochaine!

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, another big thanks to @KevinF who had my back on "the luge run" early in the day at Sutton. I've been studying the trail map trying to figure out which run that was, so I can remember to avoid it in the future. Could've been Boo-Boo; could've been Entonnoir (translates to funnel). Both would apply . . .

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a bonus day today at Mt Orford. @Tony S , @James , @zircon , @ScottB , @aveski and I attended.

the sun was out today .... It was nice to see for a change. I like Mt Orford. It's hard to separate the weather to decide which of the 3 I liked best.

Here's Tony and Zircon on an unexpected last run (lifts close at 3:45! oops!)

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Crashed @aveski @James @mdf @ScottB and @Tony S (in alphabetical order to prove I’m literate)’s bonus day at Mont Orford today.

IMG_3394.jpeg
The theme of this mountain is steep steep groomers. With flats interspersed. A mix of black pitches and skating is what constitutes a blue. AND they have a chondola for those that don’t want to trek to Sunday River to experience it!

Beautiful corduroy first thing in the morning. Shame no one else was there. Gave way to scratchy icy channels with push piles. Got lost on the second run with the group because James was talking and we missed where they went but we did find a wind chime xylophone thing which was cool. We found some teeny tiny bumps off the other lift. Off piste looked either closed or ill-advised, although some of our older but not wiser seemed to have fun on this trail called “piste fermée” that wasn’t on the map.

IMG_3398.jpeg
@mdf showing off a sign that we found interesting and instructive

Around lunch time, Tony decided to make me try his skis. Let me tell you, it’s kind of scary to get on someone else’s skis knowing they cost as much as your rent. Even scarier is the realization that you like them. A lot. Totally different experience in the ice patches and loose crud while still manageable in the push pile bumps and yes my own skis have been recently sharpened. In related news, I do feel a bit better that the crew independently diagnosed something I’ve been whining about behind the scenes all season: that I needed to bring my A+ game on the Navigators but on SLs a solid B sufficed. Go figure. Time to start thinking about which of my kidneys I like less.

End of day, things softened up a bit on the groomers. We skied some less than perfect but still entertaining (type 2 fun) bumps, and more steep groomers. Hopped in the race course for fun. Played chair shadow slalom. Good times. Thanks for a fun weekend, and thanks to our fearless leader @KevinF for organizing the gathering!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Around lunch time, Tony decided to make me try his skis. Let me tell you, it’s kind of scary to get on someone else’s skis knowing they cost as much as your rent. Even scarier is the realization that you like them. A lot. Totally different experience in the ice patches and loose crud while still manageable in the push pile bumps and yes my own skis have been recently sharpened.
You're not allowed to post that, and FAIL TO TELL US WHAT BRAND/MODEL SKIS! :eek::)

James

Out There
Instructor
Well another great day at another interesting mountain in the Eastern Townships. Mount Orford. Seemed to be less snow than at Sutton and most of the “legendary” wood trails were closed. Sunny. A rare dark goggle lens day. Worn all day because otherwise it’s too bright and I’ll get sick.

The consensus was that Orford would have better coverage on their groomers than Sutton. Some of which are impressive for pitch and also some really nice green terrain that’s consistent in pitch and with excellent grooming.

Like the other township areas, there are a lot of good skiers and in this Monday they were carving centric. There’s also a lot of people skinning. The mountain is only 15 minutes from Magog which is amazing. (Population about 28,000)

IMG_2110.jpeg
Morning frost on the windshield at 12 degrees.
IMG_2113.jpeg
From inside. Representing the distribution of skitalkers at the resort.

IMG_2114.jpeg
Mountain from the Rue Principale, the street the Sat night dinner was on, just further out.

IMG_2136.jpeg
@Tony S upside down at the start of his skating clinic he fell over.

IMG_2115.jpeg
An unusual feature is this chime up on one of the green trails.

View attachment IMG_2117.mov
Might only play on ios.

IMG_2119.jpeg
The views are pretty spectacular from this mountain. I actually didn’t get shots from the top. You can see quite a lot but no one has the patience to figure out what.

IMG_2133.jpeg
@mdf adding some color to the landscape. Looking at the top of Mont Giroux, which is left side of the map. It looks tiny, but that trail to the left top is the signature Magnum trail. A steep groomer at the top that reminds me of the wide groomer on Andesite at Big Sky. I think this is steeper, but not as wide at the top.
Lots of carving going on there. But beware below when stopping, as some come off at near terminal velocity.

IMG_2123.jpeg
@Tony S with @aveski with the Piste Fermée sign. Seemed to be a suggestion as there was no rope.

IMG_2124.jpeg
The Piste Fermée from below

IMG_2126.jpeg
only @ScottB and I went down it. Coverage was pretty good and the rock avoidance was beginner to low intermediate level.

IMG_2127.jpeg
From the next trail another view of Mont Giroux and the Magnum trail.

IMG_2128.jpeg
@ScottB on one of the light blue trails off the Mont Alfred-Desrochers lift. There’s a kids woods experience trail to the right.

IMG_2129.jpeg
@zircon on a mini mogul section of that same trail

IMG_2138.jpeg
Tony with the last tree before the vast spaces of Southern Quebec and Northern VT

IMG_2137.jpeg
New friend.

IMG_2139.jpeg
Tony headed down the highly questionable short steep mogul section. Turned out to be pretty good.

IMG_2140.jpeg
Further down. First tester of the questionable, @mdf , waits at the bottom.

IMG_2144.jpeg
Driving back in the gloaming.

Thanks to @KevinF for herding the cats north to Quebec. Two great NEGs in a row, and we’re up for a Provincial Medal for bringing the snow.

Glad we did the townships. I highly recommend checking them out. And for those who didn’t get to Mount Orford, definitely go if you go back to the Townships. Well worth it. Note the Monday ticket was $68 Canadian online with all the taxes and fees.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
You're not allowed to post that, and FAIL TO TELL US WHAT BRAND/MODEL SKIS! :eek::)
The difference in his skiing with the Montero AS’s was very apparent. Enters the turn much more solidly/smoothly and this just continues through the rest of the turn. Arm things are toned down. (Very involved subject he’s working on) When he’s on the Navigator 80’s, they just kind of flop around and flap before they consent to entering the turn.

He’s warding off reality with the Navigators by chanting, “they’re good in moguls”.
His “Ministry of Bad Ideas” sticker should be stuck on them.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The difference in his skiing with the Montero AS’s was very apparent. Enters the turn Arm things are toned down. (Very involved subject he’s working on) When he’s on the Navigator 80’s,

He’s warding off reality with the Navigators by chanting, “they’re good in moguls”.
But they work for @mdf, no?

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
The difference in his skiing with the Montero AS’s was very apparent. Enters the turn much more solidly/smoothly and this just continues through the rest of the turn. Arm things are toned down. (Very involved subject he’s working on) When he’s on the Navigator 80’s, they just kind of flop around and flap before they consent to entering the turn.

His “Ministry of Bad Ideas” sticker should be stuck on them.
Okay FINE you win. @ilovepugs will attest that I’ve already started devising an elaborate scheme to play games with credit card statement close dates and shipping to family in New Hampshire (same length? I was wrong it does also come in a size shorter)

IMG_3404.jpeg

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry we missed Orford, sounds like everyone had a good time exploring a new ski area. We made to Judy's brothers in Bethlehem NH on Sunday night with no problems-roads were clear. We chose mellow and inexpensive for Monday at Bretton Woods-after chasing the Ski Talk gang around for three days we needed to dial it down. Another nice sunny day with good coverage. The low angle tree runs were fun with with enough snow to cover most of the rocks and dirt. Snow wasn't quite as soft as Sutton on Sunday, but not bad. For you old people lift tickets are $42.00 during the week for 65+. Cannon today on what may be our last day of the season.

Judy at the bottom of one of the glades.
IMG_20240325_110715.jpg

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Also, another big thanks to @KevinF who had my back on "the luge run" early in the day at Sutton. I've been studying the trail map trying to figure out which run that was, so I can remember to avoid it in the future. Could've been Boo-Boo; could've been Entonnoir (translates to funnel). Both would apply . . .
I think Entonnoir, and I'm disappointed to learn the name has nothing to do with Tolkein.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kind of a mystery. But he is on the 80, I'm on the 85, different lengths, drastically different body weights.
You’re also a much much better skier and may have a higher tolerance for irregularities. I was going to say slow engagement but my beloved FX85s have famously uninspiring hookup—but maybe more predictable when tossed.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t be afraid of the length (166) if you loved the experience. I’m enjoying my Faction Dancer 2x at 171, much to my own surprise as far as length. I did not like Steadfast or Forza in low 170s,but Dancers are, well, dancier. If the 166s did not feel “too long” on the first date, they won’t be.

Sponsor

Staff online