• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-24 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nice conditions at Massnutten on Sunday afternoon. Snow soft but not slushy apart from a few grabby spots lower down. No Hessitation skied as easy as it has all season. Things a bit firmer on the Slot, skied really nicely.

Next up: 11 hour drive to Killington on Sunday. Looks like some rain this week followed by a hard freeze, hopefully by early next week things will be ok.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Appalachian was SUPERB yesterday. Couple inches of fresh in top of a healthy base. Temps were in the low 30s mid morning. I got a little bit sunburned even after starting out with the nose lotioned.

There was a couple ski clubs there that weekend having GS fun runs down a course set on Big Appal. Nice folks, chatted with several on the lift.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good that you got out yesterday....weather the next 2 weeks doesn't look very promising. Was hoping to get the wife out this coming weekend for her "once a year"...but doubt that's happening

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Good that you got out yesterday....weather the next 2 weeks doesn't look very promising. Was hoping to get the wife out this coming weekend for her "once a year"...but doubt that's happening
It should still be good most mornings, but sloppy by mid day. They have St Pats as the projected end of season party. That's a week earlier than last season. Not sure they're gonna make it if we get another week of temps in the 70s after this one..

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty (PA) announced it will be open this weekend for one last hurrah on Saturday and Sunday.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, I'm officially done for the season... :( . My wife had covid (again) last week so that 86-ed our plans for her "once a year" ski day. Fortunately I never came down with it. Things have gotten too warm and wet and even if there is decent coverage, there are more pressing things. My last outing (at Winterplace) was excellent so that will carry me over the summer.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well, I'm officially done for the season... :( . My wife had covid (again) last week so that 86-ed our plans for her "once a year" ski day. Fortunately I never came down with it. Things have gotten too warm and wet and even if there is decent coverage, there are more pressing things. My last outing (at Winterplace) was excellent so that will carry me over the summer.
First weekend in December Appy Anniversary Special. be there or be square! @Old boot and @Lady_Salina are usually there for that too.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I may be done as well. Just finished up with 2 days at Killington and 2 days at Gore to get me to 17 days for the season. Massanutten is just hanging on and I doubt they will make it to next weekend. Snowshoe or Timberline are possibilities but I don't think I can swing a trip to WV.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Laurel's last weekend. I'll hit it at least one day. Seven Springs might be done, only the front side open so if you're looking for the challenge of steep, Laurel's Wildcat is open. I've only got 23 days in this season, weather-related late start/early end. Come bag Lower while you can. Maybe I'll hit T-line one more time too.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's what'll be open at Liberty Mountain this weekend, per their website:

Anticipated Terrain Availability:
Sneaky Pete, Nova, Lower Blue Streak, Westside Park - Serviced by Dipsy Quad and Alpine Quad (Mid-Station Only)

So beginner terrain and one of the terrain parks. Granted, they got whacked by the storms and warm weather this week so they had to cobble together what they could.

I've seen Whitetail (via timelapse) moving snow onto Jib Junction, moving the terrain park features off the mountain. I'd imagine they're going to concentrate on that and SnowPark for the weekend's operations.

Roundtop has been open all week and there are parts of trails where you need to walk between patches. It is what it is.

Tomorrow's rain should be the final nail for most of the SnowTime trio, and Sunday will be more fun for those who simply want to hang out, I'm guessing.

They did well with the season they had. All three had their pluses and deltas.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Well, this season sees a first for Laurel. Seven Springs will close after today and reopen next weekend. Laurel will stay open midweek. I always thought Wildcat could draw expert and advanced skiers late in the season. Thanks to our mountain ops team for a record season, continuous operations beyond Seven Springs. Mountain ops is making snow as we speak. How are they doing that when the air compressors are gone? Laurel has a few big fan cannons that have their own onboard compressor. Thanks, Brett Cook and Vail for showing Laurel some love.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
The conventional wisdom says that Vail wanted Seven Springs for their market share. 7S has always been the major player in the mid-A market. Laurel and Hidden Valley were just part of the package. The previous mountain ops manager under the previous owner felt that the other 2 resorts were a drain on resources. For Laurel to stay in continuous operation while the other 2 shut down is unprecedented. While all of the other Vail resorts in the DC/Baltimore market are closing or have limited terrain, Laurel has 760 vertical, a mile long intermediate trail, and a legit 2,500-foot expert run still in play. Laurel is smaller acreage wise, one lift, and less staff but the best terrain open so yes, the financial analysis would favor Laurel. It always has but the powers that were never saw it that way.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The conventional wisdom says that Vail wanted Seven Springs for their market share. 7S has always been the major player in the mid-A market. Laurel and Hidden Valley were just part of the package. The previous mountain ops manager under the previous owner felt that the other 2 resorts were a drain on resources. For Laurel to stay in continuous operation while the other 2 shut down is unprecedented. While all of the other Vail resorts in the DC/Baltimore market are closing or have limited terrain, Laurel has 760 vertical, a mile long intermediate trail, and a legit 2,500-foot expert run still in play. Laurel is smaller acreage wise, one lift, and less staff but the best terrain open so yes, the financial analysis would favor Laurel. It always has but the powers that were never saw it that way.
And they probably also know that Laurel requires WAY fewer employees to keep open.. one lift, small lodge.. people showing up there happy and more willing to buy their passes for next season than if they didn't keep the venue with the lowest overhead open a few more days. WIN WIN.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
10 years ago I probably would have done this. They had the most ridiculous blackout rules for a pass costing over $1100 back then when I was seriously considering some kind of pass for anyplace within 200 miles of home..

Wintergreen stepping up
1710451177272.png

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am leaning towards trying to get out to Snowshoe this saturday for a final day. Anyone else going to be there?

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
^I was at Snowshoe last weekend. Friday was rough, but Saturday was surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Looks like they've been blasting the guns. Hopefully they still have some decent coverage this weekend. Wish I could have done this one instead of last week!

Sponsor

Staff online