• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Steamboat Resort/Conditions/Meetups

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The snow frequently does not impact the airport in Hayden. The drive in might be treacherous.
The airport piece is good to hear! Taking a shuttle once there, so at least hopefully the driver is experienced in their usual conditions.

Vampire Cat

Putting on skis
Skier
The airport piece is good to hear! Taking a shuttle once there, so at least hopefully the driver is experienced in their usual conditions.
I've had my one and only flight to HDN be Cx from Denver. Ended up renting a car and driving through the storm to Craig huh. They do a good job of plowing here. Only thing you gotta worry about is lame slow drivers (or morons with inappropriate vehicles/tires). Might not be as frustrating in a shuttle as driving from Wyoming though.

Going to try to fly out of HDN in Feb . . . I hope it goes. More importantly, on the way back I hope I don't get stuck in Denver.

It's a decent day today at Steamboat. The overnight powder was slightly exaggerated (I don't think they did a good job clearing the stake last night judging by the video), but still fun conditions. Not too crowded

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Anyone have suggestions for a good meetup / boot up spot at the base to potentially stash bags, but at a minimum to hang out indoors for 20-30 min while the group accumulates? It doesn't necessarily have to be an official locker room. Thanks for any suggestions!

cc @Ron

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have suggestions for a good meetup / boot up spot at the base to potentially stash bags, but at a minimum to hang out indoors for 20-30 min while the group accumulates? It doesn't necessarily have to be an official locker room. Thanks for any suggestions!

cc @Ron
Check out the Creek Side Terrance Lockers ... on Steamboat's site they say daily and seasonal locker rentals, but clicking it says nothing of daily rentals.

However I did check with Steamboat's Welcome Center and was told this would be "perfect" as they have daily rentals but one can change there too, it's larger, and next to Ice Rink. In looking, they note a $20 daily fee for locker rental .. to me that's a bit crazy but I'm cheap.

"Creekside Building (Beneath Steamboat Square, across from Steamboat Gondola)"

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, another link, I do recall seeing lockers and there seemed room to just wait at the Steamboat Sports Sheridan, right behind their store which if you need stuff, or like to browse, an idea. Right across from the new Wild Blue Gondola.

Or gather up in the Thunderhead up the "old" gondola .. either base level or up a few flights.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Thanks @pete! Someone who's already there is gonna check out both those options, or I'll check them out myself on Saturday.

Vampire Cat

Putting on skis
Skier
It's getting mighty spring like. Coverage even on some groomers is getting a bit sporty, but there have been some gorgeous days lately. Hopefully the precip in the forecast for the weekend comes as snow and not rain!
I wager at least until summer is crazy dry the local critters are appreciating the reprieve relative to last year. 1000000618.jpg

Skiandride

Booting up
Skier
@Vampire Cat - deciding between Steamboat or The Cottonwoods for Feb 23-27.
Coverage at Steamboat is spotty?
The cottonwoods are great but I skied them last year on weekdays and it was a total shiitshow. Migration out of California to Utah, ikon, and proximity to the city are killing the experience. Waaaayyy to many people. Steamboat just got a little warm this past week which happens there all the time. More snow is on the way and they have the best coverage in Colorado right now. Third week in January has some of the best conditions I’ve skied outside a dump.

Last edited:

Skiandride

Booting up
Skier
After having a great trip third week in January I was kind of surprised that there is no quick breakfast spot (or any breakfast spot) in the remodeled gondola square. Gondola joes was a mainstay. What a big oversight. Coffee and a sandwich shouldn’t need a car to go downtown.

Vampire Cat

Putting on skis
Skier
@Vampire Cat - deciding between Steamboat or The Cottonwoods for Feb 23-27.
Coverage at Steamboat is spotty?
Thanks.
It's probably better now with the current storm (had to work today, but will check it out tomorrow). It wasn't horrible, but vegetation was poking out on a number of runs, including some steeper or sun exposed groomers. Some dirt patches in places too.
After having a great trip third week in January I was kind of surprised that there is no quick breakfast spot (or any breakfast spot) in the remodeled gondola square. Gondola joes was a mainstay. What a big oversight. Coffee and a sandwich shouldn’t need a car to go downtown.
There's a shack by the timber and torch that has some stuff, though the lack of indoor seating for breakfast at the base does seem odd to me.

As for the Cottonwoods, I agree that traffic can suck. It seems like if it is a powder day even midweek everyone in SLC calls in sick to work. The population there has just grown too fast for the infrastructure to keep up. Same with Seattle and the ski areas (and highways) near there for that matter.

Part of my selection process for a significant ski vacation is avoiding major cities within easy driving distance. That said, I do plan to head to SLC in the late season, but it's not a long drive from my new home. I'll just plan to ride the bus and go with the flow.

Vampire Cat

Putting on skis
Skier
It can be pretty busy on the weekends, like anywhere, but it seems like they do a good job of spreading people out. If you find that a lift seems to have an absurd line consider moving to another part of the mountain.

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Thx! Steamboat booked.
We haven't been in years and thought we'd give it a go again as we've been going to The Cottonwoods regularly the last few years.
Fingers crossed the champagne powder keeps coming!

Sponsor