• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-2024 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hard to think of Pocono skiing @ 90 degrees.. However time is marching on and before you know it things will cool off and the leaves will drop and the guns of November and December will come out.. Another season at CBK. Got in 30 days last year in the first year since I've been a pass holder that they were not able to get the entire mountain open (and I do not blame the mountain). I believe that this winter has to be better and I look forward to hitting the hill as much as possible and having fun.

Taken a few seasons ago but look forward to seeing Cliffhanger like this again

IMG_1328.JPG

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hard to think of Pocono skiing @ 90 degrees.. However time is marching on and before you know it things will cool off and the leaves will drop and the guns of November and December will come out.. Another season at CBK. Got in 30 days last year in the first year since I've been a pass holder that they were not able to get the entire mountain open (and I do not blame the mountain).

Eh, it's about time for swaps to get started.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Ikon just added Camelback and Blue Mt today. Wow didn't think they would do it but weekends could become very busy at these 2 resorts.

Nice! I haven't skied them in years. Right at the limit of day trip drive time for me, will definitely get up there a few times.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ikon just added Camelback and Blue Mt today. Wow didn't think they would do it but weekends could become very busy at these 2 resorts.
Weren't they already?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Weren't they already?
It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. The early AM group at Blue are dedicated weekday skiers who usually split by lunchtime. They have a leaderboard for most runs skied (posted on Blue’s website). These people ski far, far more than the 7 day limit that Ikon offers, often 30 days plus.

Weekends may be another story.

There also may be a shift of some from Jack Frost to Blue now that Blue also is on a megapass. But who knows.

This will be my first winter not in the mid Atlantic so I don’t have to do any mental gymnastics to strategize a pass purchase there. Happy about that!!

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There also may be a shift of some from Jack Frost to Blue now that Blue also is on a megapass. But who knows.
I'll be one of those. Last season was a wash, but the year before I would head up to Jack Frost a lot during the week. Ski from open to about 11:00 or noon then head home for work. Now with Blue and Camelback as options, I'll gladly avoid JF. The distance to Blue and Camelback is shorter so they save me a bit of time in the car and have better terrain. Win-win.

Don't worry... won't go near either of them on the weekends!

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback pass holder for almost 20 years. Home hill, 45 min door to door, raised my skiing children there, my daughter went and taught ski school during her high school years, son raced for the mountain. We buy full passes each year and keep a locker in the locker room club. I'm also a full Ikon pass holder.

Many of us thought that they would go on Ikon when KSL came in but they didn't seem like they were going to go that direction. KSL started running CBK before they took over at Blue, but it's been a couple of years now and before this move they seemed intent on keeping the mountains separate. My hopes had been that a least they would offer a few days to pass holders at each mountain but the only offers I saw were to Senior Passes (not yet for me). So while not totally "shocked" this is a little bit of a surprise.

As far as the skiing and the crowds. I can't see them giving first tracks (a season pass perk) on weekends to ikon people so there's an hour break there. I'm not sure how much more traffic on any given day there will be. Seems to me the lots are full already every weekend and I simply don't know where they would put them. Generally in the past the crowds (the ones that make you quit) don't really materialize till about 10:30 - 11:00 so starting at 7:30 and yo-yoing till then is usually a decent day. Question would be does Ikon shorten that window weekend and holiday mornings.

With my current work schedule most of my skiing is done weekday mornings where I go to the mountain yo-yo for 2 hours and get home by noon. I could see it getting a little busier for that but generally weekdays there have been like a club.

Getting access to Blue is nice but I'm not sure I'll use it. (we are talking the Poconos here) Blue is a half hour further away and just as busy as Camelback. That said they do a great job with bumps at Blue, and if CBK delays putting some up I may be convinced to go over there.

Would have been better for us if these areas had gotten together a long time ago. We once had a house up on the Pocono plateau. We had countless fun weekends with the trio of Elk, Blue and Camelback. But we are out of that house and plans are to get out west (where we invested) for our winters starting in 1 or 2 seasons from now, so while the Pocono's remain in the "back yard", of our long time New Jersey residence, our skiing there is actually coming to a close soon.

Possible plusses? Ikon already installed a new lift at Blue. (I think the reviews were good) Camelback could really be improved by installing a base to summit lift up the middle of the mountain and getting some of the terrain that's currently not used that much used. I'd do a little redesign too but its not my money. 1 perk to us, is my son can ski with me when he comes home (from Colorado lol) for Christmas without me having to get him tickets.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, the press release for Camelback and Blue is here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As far as the skiing and the crowds. I can't see them giving first tracks (a season pass perk) on weekends to ikon people so there's an hour break there. I'm not sure how much more traffic on any given day there will be. Seems to me the lots are full already every weekend and I simply don't know where they would put them. Generally in the past the crowds (the ones that make you quit) don't really materialize till about 10:30 - 11:00 so starting at 7:30 and yo-yoing till then is usually a decent day. Question would be does Ikon shorten that window weekend and holiday mornings.
I keep hearing "crowds". Crowds at Camelback are nothing new, they have been there since the 1970's with the slow Sullivan chair, slow triple and even the Bailey chair, 30 minute lift lines, or what felt like 30 minute lines, were not uncommon on the weekends.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I’ve had a Blue season pass for several years and weekends/holidays are just about always mess from noon on. If I have to ski on a weekend I start at rope drop and go until the crowds get to be too much sometime between 11 or 12. Before the new lift went in I could sometimes extend that a bit by lapping Main St and Switchback if the lines for the two doubles weren’t too bad. I’m thinking the early crew might see a little bump in participation but the afternoon will be what it has been and something I’ll avoid. ;) I may venture over to camelback a few times to mix it up.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I keep hearing "crowds". Crowds at Camelback are nothing new, they have been there since the 1970's with the slow Sullivan chair, slow triple and even the Bailey chair, 30 minute lift lines, or what felt like 30 minute lines, were not uncommon on the weekends.
I missed the '70s, but started skiing there around '84 and I definitely remember weekends being packed. All the spots were. We typically skied the second half of the day, and in the evenings it would finally lighten up a bit after the masses traded the slopes for the bar. I remember it being COLD.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple years ago, over President's weekend, the line of cars for Camelback extended out to route 80. :rolleyes: You know, that road that leads to your Reno house. ogsmile

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Camelback pass holder for almost 20 years. Home hill, 45 min door to door, raised my skiing children there, my daughter went and taught ski school during her high school years, son raced for the mountain. We buy full passes each year and keep a locker in the locker room club. I'm also a full Ikon pass holder.

Many of us thought that they would go on Ikon when KSL came in but they didn't seem like they were going to go that direction. KSL started running CBK before they took over at Blue, but it's been a couple of years now and before this move they seemed intent on keeping the mountains separate. My hopes had been that a least they would offer a few days to pass holders at each mountain but the only offers I saw were to Senior Passes (not yet for me). So while not totally "shocked" this is a little bit of a surprise.

With my current work schedule most of my skiing is done weekday mornings where I go to the mountain yo-yo for 2 hours and get home by noon. I could see it getting a little busier for that but generally weekdays there have been like a club.

Getting access to Blue is nice but I'm not sure I'll use it. (we are talking the Poconos here) Blue is a half hour further away and just as busy as Camelback. That said they do a great job with bumps at Blue, and if CBK delays putting some up I may be convinced to go over there.

Would have been better for us if these areas had gotten together a long time ago. We once had a house up on the Pocono plateau. We had countless fun weekends with the trio of Elk, Blue and Camelback. But we are out of that house and plans are to get out west (where we invested) for our winters starting in 1 or 2 seasons from now, so while the Pocono's remain in the "back yard", of our long time New Jersey residence, our skiing there is actually coming to a close soon.

Possible plusses? Ikon already installed a new lift at Blue. (I think the reviews were good) Camelback could really be improve by installing a base to summit lift up the middle of the mountain and getting some of the terrain that's currently not used that much used. I'd do a little redesign too but its not my money. 1 perk to us, is my son can ski with me when he comes home (from Colorado lol) for Christmas without me having to get him tickets.
Word at Blue always was that the owner didn't want to give up total control, so that's why they weren't on Ikon, as the current agreement with KSL allowed the owner some say in operations. Not sure how valid that is, but at any rate, that is moot at this point so will be interesting to see if there are any changes in operations or facilities. They had plans to build a hotel/condos so not sure what's happening with that. I always thought that was a BAD idea.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Word at Blue always was that the owner didn't want to give up total control, so that's why they weren't on Ikon, as the current agreement with KSL allowed the owner some say in operations. Not sure how valid that is, but at any rate, that is moot at this point so will be interesting to see if there are any changes in operations or facilities. They had plans to build a hotel/condos so not sure what's happening with that. I always thought that was a BAD idea.
Well I wouldn't be surprised to see a hotel and water park (that's the trend in the Pocono's is it not?) built. The one at Camelback is very successful and actually quite a nice facility. I always understood Blue had quite a bit of land to expand (CBK has some too but not as much). Will be interesting to watch what happens to these resorts.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
When they built the hotel they took away a huge chunk of parking. Basically the hotel foot prints worth of parking. They have also done some lift upgrades (Stevenson and the now Black Bear 6) so the lines are not what they were in the 70’s. They have not run the Triple or Marc Anthony in a couple of years and could really use a lift to the summit between the 2 detachables. Maybe Ikon gets that done. Like Wendy said they back ‘‘em up back to 80 (and sometimes down to Bartonsville) so I just don’t know where they could put more cars. Snow tubing pack them in as well. If I’m there past noon it’s probably at the bar.

Sponsor

Staff online