• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2023-2024 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups Thread

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was in line at Barker when it opened and saw the first three skiers break open Top Gun…. By the time I got up there it was churned up like the other slopes but deeper. Wasn’t light and fluffy that was for sure - but fun to go 3d

The wind was howling last night and this morning so I could see that being the case at Barker for snow with it getting buffed in, the “lighter” was in the trees and more so on the Jordan/Oz/Aurora side today. Admittedly I never went further East today than North Peak today though.. so I have no idea how the other peaks skied. Yesterday I skied all over though and found good stuff everywhere. Jordan was the lightest snow today from what I skied, in the trees.. back door was really fantastic. The snow on Ruby Palace was also really lovely and Eureka too. It was all just great.

Wasn’t as light as yesterday all over though, yesterday was a treat for that everywhere for sure. Not the type of snow I often get to ski at Sunday River, and I couldn’t get enough.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jordon was the best - but I didn’t have that special “get out of jail card” and got tired of waiting in the loooong lines there.
The worst - Vortex. Solid ice covered by dust and an occasional softer bump.
Oz was very nice.

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Jordon was the best - but I didn’t have that special “get out of jail card” and got tired of waiting in the loooong lines there.
The worst - Vortex. Solid ice covered by dust and an occasional softer bump.
Oz was very nice.

Oof yeah, the lines at Jordan were long, too bad they didn’t open the Oz chair again to help alleviate some.. it was one of those times where I was really glad for the skipping privileges for sure. I did Vortex yesterday, but not today.. looked up at it skiing across Kansas and it looked awful. Must have been the wind direction as Quantum Leap and Black Hole were just fine this afternoon but upper Airglow looked awful too. Upper Vortex looked like it lost all of it’s snow.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually - you’re correct - Upper Airglow was the worst - blindingly bad in the afternoon with the sun reflecting off the ice.
as the wind blew away the last of the snow there.
Black He was not bad.
Damn ! I missed Quantum Leap - always liked that one.

Did you ski Celestial ?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We got up to Jordan early even after having to dig our car out of the driveway. I don’t know what time others made it over there but after two hours of almost no lines, a short wait didn’t really bother me. But whatever, the snow was amazing and deep and the weather was perfect. Woods were good but these blue trails that got a little bumped up were so fun just to go fast and crazy. They were bumpier than this, just a ramdom picture.
IMG_1277.jpeg

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Couldn’t get over there for quite a while.
Yes those slopes were fun once the lifts connected them

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually - you’re correct - Upper Airglow was the worst - blindingly bad in the afternoon with the sun reflecting off the ice.
as the wind blew away the last of the snow there.
Black He was not bad.
Damn ! I missed Quantum Leap - always liked that one.

Did you ski Celestial ?

Yes, I skied Celestial soon after the Aurora chair opened.. it was a LOT of very deep snow that was semi wind affected in that it was heavier/more compacted than I expected for being in the trees and compared to other trees I went in after it. That’s where I had a hard time with sinking into untracked areas well above my knees and having to like shuffle my feet to get to any track to get going again lol. My 92 width skis were just not enough in there by far at least at the somewhat slower speed I ski trees at apparently. To be fair, that snow was slowing me down to begin with, the other women in my group didn’t have the weight of the men to drive through faster. Yeah, I’ll go with that! Haha Today made me want to get a wider ski for these sorts of days.. but they are so infrequent here. I almost never have had a time where I truly felt my skis weren’t enough to give me the float I needed in the fresh snow I was skiing..

I was talked into going on Quantum since I hadn’t skied it yet this season and last weekend it looked like a total loss for the season. It was in much better shape than I’d thought it might be. A little bit of scratchy in the troughs, but for a lot of it you could stay on the fluffy tops of the bumps and it was very enjoyable. Same deal on Black Hole, skier’s left was nice and the run out was tracked out enough by that time for me to really enjoy it otherwise I probably would have struggled with how flat and heavy it may have been. Saw a lot of people tumbling in that snow early on from the lift our first ride up. :)

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We got up to Jordan early even after having to dig our car out of the driveway. I don’t know what time others made it over there but after two hours of almost no lines, a short wait didn’t really bother me. But whatever, the snow was amazing and deep and the weather was perfect. Woods were good but these blue trails that got a little bumped up were so fun just to go fast and crazy. They were bumpier than this, just a ramdom picture.
View attachment 230811

Awesome, glad you caught it nice and early!! My condo is above South Ridge, and I had to meet my lesson group at North Peak lodge.. so I wasn’t going to drive to Jordan. I saw people digging out their cars in our lot this morning to do just that.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
That snow on Celestial was a lot like what was on Top Gun ( but without the trees )
I was on 94’s and your description on spot on

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That snow on Celestial was a lot like what was on Top Gun ( but without the trees )
I was on 94’s and your description on spot on

A friend of mine was on 96s and said the same about the snow in Chutzpah today.

I wonder how wide of a ski I would have needed to float in that stuff better..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Chitzpah was cliffed 2 weeks ago. Now I am jealous. I did a last run between Tempest and Obsession on Saturday and was surprised that there a 3 creeks and its really a mess out there and sort of dangerous but pretty cool too. Between that and pushing 3 cars out and staying up late, I felt a bit lethargic this morning but it didnt last long.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
A friend of mine was on 96s and said the same about the snow in Chutzpah today.

I wonder how wide of a ski I would have needed to float in that stuff better..

FWIW, I was on my Bent Chet 100s yesterday and today. They were great for stuff that had been cut up, but the 120s would have been a much better tool in the woods and for untracked stuff (though maybe not for the most dense of the drifts).

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Blaze 94’s were fun in the piles and soft moguls but I had to let them run and ride on top of them - so fun to have consistent, top to bottom moguls !
They were not as good in the deep untracked stuff - something stiffer would have been better. Maybe wider. Maybe more practice in them as well.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How bad will the damage be this week or is it chilly enough for a little snow at higher elevation? We’re probably staying home for Easter after skiing at least 2 days for the past 5 weeks, although Saturday is open.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Mt. Snow was on the docket for Friday:
Yes, another fine day of New England spring skiing!
Canyon and South Bowl were good; Free Fall on the North Face was excellent!
And I heard no fat ladies singing!

Last edited:

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Stowe was good this morning. It was warmer than I expected today and the snow got soft around lunch. Not many people at all and I hope that’s how the weekend will stay.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think tmrw will be crowded. Today was Good Friday so kids had school off.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jay Peak is boilerplate and upper mountain lifts down due to wind. Not too busy at ski school. Expected to be busier next weekend for the eclipse.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Jay Peak is boilerplate and upper mountain lifts down due to wind. Not too busy at ski school. Expected to be busier next weekend for the eclipse.
At this point I think it's either wait for new snow or wait for a soft day.

Considering a trip to the River tomorrow but not sure it's going to warm up enough to soften. (Quite confident Sugarloaf will not.)

Later in the week we're supposed to get snow. Hope you're wrong about Monday's eclipse contributing to crowding on the days prior, but you're probably not.

Sponsor

Staff online