• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Already booked for Sunshine Village during American Thanksgiving. Second year in a row. Unfortunately @Mel won’t be around that weekend but I’m open to meeting up with other SkiTalkers!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got the email from Schweitzer today that the Ikon Pass is now unlimited at Schweitzer. The Base Pass is still 5 days.

The adult unlimited Schweitzer season pass is still available, though only a couple hundred less than the full Ikon.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
Already booked for Sunshine Village during American Thanksgiving. Second year in a row. Unfortunately @Mel won’t be around that weekend but I’m open to meeting up with other SkiTalkers!
Should go to Lake instead. But then, I'm biased as I instruct there. HMU is you're staying in Banff.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
Will there be much coverage? I’m open to either for sure! I would be up for taking a lesson.

Hard to say. The hill won't be fully open. Most of the frontside should be good to go, the backside really depends on Mother Nature. Ask for Simon K. I can instruct at Sunshine as well, it just needs to be arranged ahead of time.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heads up that a bunch of ST posters are likely to ski Silver, Schweitzer and 49 Degrees North Feb 4-7. And Lookout/Discovery before, Lost Trail after.

Last edited by a moderator:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just booked trips to Whitefish Mar 11 -18, and to SunPeaks Mar 24-31. If anyone is around, lets hook up and do some turns

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I just booked trips to Whitefish Mar 11 -18, and to SunPeaks Mar 24-31. If anyone is around, lets hook up and do some turns
Haven't you seen? We fell to 28th.

Kind of late for the best conditions most years and this is an El Niño. Might be okay, but you should look for a Plan B. Land here, drive north.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
I'm looking at going to Whitefish in the end of March as well. When does Whitefish typically shut down operations in the spring?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking at going to Whitefish in the end of March as well. When does Whitefish typically shut down operations in the spring?
They stay open at least through the first week of April. I don't know how much stays open, but I know they close certain lifts earlier. I'm sure @Sibhusky has the details.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Whitefish closes Hellroaring Basin April 1 or thereabouts. Usually we're open one more week after that. The official dates for this season are Dec. 7 - April 7.

Any deviation from those dates would normally be due to lack of snow, not unexpected extra snow. They claim the workforce was given X date for starting/ending, the Forest Service is also involved, but the main driver is demand. We used to open for Thanksgiving, but the effort put into achieving that didn't make sense. The locals would come for Thanksgiving, then spend the next 2 weekends doing Christmas shopping. In the spring, golf and other activities start to cut into the desire of folks to go skiing. That last week it can be a ghost town.

End of March can be iffy. I'd say the best skiing is usually Jan. 15 to March 15. Not saying you wouldn't get a powder day, but it would be a gift.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What skis should I bring to Banff for my trip this week? It’s been a dry couple of days and not much is open yet, but I know I’ll still have fun.

Options are 76mm frontside oriented skis, 84mm all mountain skis (new to me) or 90mm all mountain skis (they generally like the conditions at Banff but maybe I want something narrower if it’s going to be mostly hardpack?).

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Whitefish closes Hellroaring Basin April 1 or thereabouts. Usually we're open one more week after that. The official dates for this season are Dec. 7 - April 7.

Any deviation from those dates would normally be due to lack of snow, not unexpected extra snow. They claim the workforce was given X date for starting/ending, the Forest Service is also involved, but the main driver is demand. We used to open for Thanksgiving, but the effort put into achieving that didn't make sense. The locals would come for Thanksgiving, then spend the next 2 weekends doing Christmas shopping. In the spring, golf and other activities start to cut into the desire of folks to go skiing. That last week it can be a ghost town.

End of March can be iffy. I'd say the best skiing is usually Jan. 15 to March 15. Not saying you wouldn't get a powder day, but it would be a gift.

Thanks for the info. A good friend lives in WF part time and since my family obligations have started to ease up a bit and this maybe the winter I get out there.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kind of late for the best conditions most years and this is an El Niño. Might be okay, but you should look for a Plan B. Land here, drive north.
How far north?

I'm taking six months off work starting March 15th. Really considering some sort of Whitefish / Fernie / Castle Mountain / Silver Star / Sun Peaks loop around Montana and Interior B.C., but I'm wondering if my dates are too late.

Sponsor

Staff online