• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Wildfire Season

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We all said that the fire season was going to be bad this year and we were underestimating just how bad it was going to be. Heck, its not even fire season yet, and here we are.
So much in the local news about the Beckwourth fire and the risk of communities, burning over 105,000 acres now, reporting 68% contained.
The Tamarack Fire has caught my attention from a lot of different angles.

First, the Tamarack Fire seemed like it was going to be squashed pretty quickly, but high winds and rough terrain have made containment a big challenge.

Our friend Curtis Fong runs bike events in the region was pleased to announce a great turn out and smooth registration for the 40th Annual Death Ride. After evacuations,

In his own words from FB
40th Annual Death Ride Check in day started out beautifully… All the riders were excited to ride the new course, registration check in ran extremely smooth. Alpine Co Sheriff SAR set up the parking & camping areas… Our Sponsors and Expo Vendors were all busy promoting their products & services… All the course infrastructure was set up at all the rest stops… tents, toilets, bike racks, water, etc… All course signage installed. Medical clinic set up… 4 ambulances set to serve the course… CHP staffed to close roads in the morning, 4 - 15 passenger sag vans set up, 10 Moto Sags ready… 20+ Ham Ops already set in place… Food distribution trucks loaded and set to drop supplies… excitement and anticipation was shared by all the riders and the hundreds of volunteers… especially since the Death Ride was postponed last year due to COVID… 18 months of hard work and planning… Then this happened… Flare up from the Tamarack Fire that started In early July… Forest Service & local Fire authorities Canceled the event… everyone was bummed… and we started to evacuate Turtle Rock Park… Thank you to all the riders for their continued support and Thank you to all the volunteers and the many agencies and Team Bike the West and the Alpine County Chamber of Commerce for their dedication and hard work in putting all the pieces of the puzzle together… Everyone is Safe… and clear of the start finish area… and we will start sweeping the ashes when we are permitted to deconstruct the course… I’m am more thankful to cancel the event the evening before the big ride and not during ride… Praying for the residents of Alpine County and All the Firefighters…

Curtis and his crew donated the food from their event to the firefighters. At first he was told that they couldn't take the donation because the firefighting crews had to work with their contractors but he was diligent and found someone who would take the donations and make sure they were used for firefighting efforts or for evacuating families.

Another post by Curtis:

Meanwhile Chief Miller's IG account is scary

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is definitely scary how early the fires are starting this year. We had lightning storms here yesterday that were CLOSE. Blew out a transponder just down the street. There were a few lightning strikes right in the local cities of Big Bear. Apparently there were also quite a few strikes around the mountain and a few smoke snags. Luckily, we also got quite a bit of rain so no fires developed.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The changing climate has not only made it hotter and drier with winter becoming shorter and shorter, but it's also made it windier in the west. The perfect trifecta for horrendous fires. Utah's governor claimed he couldn't issue a blanket ban on fireworks in the state, but most municipalities did, and it worked. No fires started from fireworks. Utah is unique in that there are two holidays here that "celebrate" with fireworks--July 4 and July 24 (Pioneer Day-also known as Pie and Beer day for the rebellious crowd.) Lucky us. Two weeks of fireworks. We'll see how things go over the week of the 24th. I must say, the tranquility of no fireworks over the 4th was so nice. When my autistic daughter was younger, she'd lose her mind and scream when fireworks started going off.

It seems the new normal in the west will be no campfires and no fireworks. We are camping in northern Idaho next week, and have bought a small, portable propane fire pit because campfires are prohibited. The last time campfires were prohibited there (I believe in 2015) it was COLD in the evenings when we all like to gather around the fire and yak and drink.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That is 2/3's of the State.
We're camping at Priest Lake which you probably know is on NFS land. I'll be like a lost child if they close those down before next week--this trip takes massive amounts of planning and it's the one time per year my family gathers and it's a blast. That being said, we'll adapt and make a road trip and visit everyone if that does happen, because it's the understandable reality of the currently situation. I'm sure there'll be a lot of people pitching hissy fits over the decision to close the DNR lands. I'm sure the wildland firefighters appreciate it.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
We're camping at Priest Lake which you probably know is on NFS land. I'll be like a lost child if they close those down before next week--this trip takes massive amounts of planning and it's the one time per year my family gathers and it's a blast. That being said, we'll adapt and make a road trip and visit everyone if that does happen, because it's the understandable reality of the currently situation. I'm sure there'll be a lot of people pitching hissy fits over the decision to close the DNR lands. I'm sure the wildland firefighters appreciate it.

A@AmyPJ the good news is Priest is in Idaho, and they are normally a little slower to close their lands. Will keep fingers crossed for you and yours. Priest Lake is spectacular!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A@AmyPJ the good news is Priest is in Idaho, and they are normally a little slower to close their lands. Will keep fingers crossed for you and yours. Priest Lake is spectacular!
I know, it's a super special place. My mom's family has been gathering there every July since the 50s. We keep the torch going through each generation. And yes, Idaho won't be so quick to close lands down, but being NFS lands, who knows. My other concern was that they'd run out of water, but so far all is fine in that regard. We have so many epic bear stories from that place :geek::roflmao: I just read that the grizzlies have been in that area, which isn't surprising considering that upper Priest Lake was known grizzly habitat and yet just 15 miles south, it wasn't? I hope they've left some huckleberries for us.

Back to the wildfires: How is the PNW in such bad shape after record-setting snowfall this winter? Just too hot?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Record setting snowfalls grow great fuel in the Spring and early Summer.
Yes, that they do. So combined with an unusually dry spring and extreme heat early in the summer. Makes sense. Any word on the fires in BC? Coverage of wildfires in Canada (or anywhere else, for that matter) are nil here.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is in an area where we hike regularly. :(

From a hike in May with @Wendy and @AKMINK

D495A97C-3615-4EF9-AB81-2F17EA5DB55D.JPG

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Phone woke me up 4 times last night for Level 3 emergency evacuation notices in this area. Thankfully nothing within 10 miles of our place. We are looking at another week of 100° +/- weather coming up. It will be an exciting summer.

Sponsor

Staff online