• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2021-2022 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
To be fair, Agassiz used to be the same way pre-GCX.
That’s true. I didn’t go up much on weekends back then either or I’d go ski tour. The crowding has increased though, we’ve got more capacity and parking now and it’s still a shit show but now the ski runs are much more crowded. I’m also getting old and grumpy .

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Up at azsb today. Crazy busy plus Agassiz is closed until further notice.

Off the record is that something struck from the sky and will be days to weeks and requiring European assistance for diagnosis.

Up and running today, whatever it was. Looks busy for a Monday, but nothing like the weekend crowds.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going up to the bowl tomorrow (Wednesday 3/9). Got some new skis to try out!

Riding the bus so will have to rely on the famous AZSB F&B. Anything on the menus stand out?

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going up to the bowl tomorrow (Wednesday 3/9). Got some new skis to try out!

Riding the bus so will have to rely on the famous AZSB F&B. Anything on the menus stand out?

It isn't on their menu but chili cheese fries are my go to up there.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I spent the last few days at Purgatory which is skiing incredibly well right now. My boy got to see his first real snow and seemed to like it which makes me happy. I found a really cool newly built AirBNB about a mile from the resort. It has a private hot tub, sauna, and is a purpose built ski/bike/nature retreat. Also, it is next to the Nugget Bar so hard to beat. I highly recommend this place and will be back.
IMG_7286.jpg IMG_6186.JPG IMG_6187.JPG IMG_6192.JPG

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
Spent Tues/Wed at Taos and Thur/Fri at Wolf Creek--- it was DEEEEP. Big week for both with 30 something" at Taos and 49" at the Wolf. Last time I skied these two was 1998 or 99. Great to be back.

The crew: my college freshman son out of Tucson (go Cats!), my 20 something nephew out of Santa Fe, and me, unfortunately out of South Carolina this year--not good for the 49 year old legs and lungs.

Day 1-- 3-5 overnight forecasted, ended up being ~18 in the morning snow stake picture, 12-13 reported. Talk about over delivering on the forecast... Late arrival from Santa Fe due to slow roads. Everything skied great. Seemed like all the locals were out...and they are good. So many more skiers lapping and ripping the ridge than in the 90s (shocking right?). Still no lift lines though! A few pics (and yes, one lucky crew member went full white-room on film.)

IMG_0117.jpeg IMG_0147.jpeg IMG_0121.jpeg IMG_0125.jpeg IMG_0127.jpeg IMG_0130.jpeg IMG_0131.jpeg IMG_0133.jpeg IMG_0134.jpeg IMG_0135.jpeg IMG_0137.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

The late start and hiking the west basin with no altitude acclimation kept this day from living up to its full 10.0 potential... but man, it was still a 9+ :)

More to follow after dinner...

Last edited:

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
Wed at Taos for leftovers. Fairly typical- soft bumps with deep pockets, tree stashes etc. Such a fun, steep mountain.

They opened Kachina peak for hiking in the late morning. Then they cranked up the Kachina lift, but per normal ops (from what ski patrol said), didn't let anyone load the lift to keep the terrain hike only for a day. Now I used to ski this mountain when I was a young man way before Kachina lift was there, so I get the old school hike only option. But I'd be surprised if more than a couple of people do more than 2 laps all the way up Kachina in a day since it's close to an hour hike, and by 2:00 nobody was up there anymore. Add to it that there was a big storm brewing for overnight so it would fill in and the peak would be closed again for a few days, why wouldn't they open the lift for an hour or so? I'm sure I'm missing something, just not sure what it is. Yep, I'm cranky because I live at sea level and it would have been a suffer fest for me to hike. But dang, one run up there would have been off the charts.

Apart from Kachina lift protocol, the other lesson learned was that even with a good base and a new storm, sharp rocks remain at Taos. Hunziger Bowl opened and is accessible with a traverse. Great skiing and many untracked lines. Fun cliff drops for the youngin's. On our last exit out of there, I skied over an innocent looking roller and landed in a rock garden. Picture of my ski is below. I won't post it, but I got a matching laceration on my forearm. Very blessed to have 2 partners with me to help me out and to ski away with "only" fifteen stitches by the awesome team at Mogul Medical urgent care in the base village. They "cleared" me to ski the next day if I promised to take it easy and not go in the Pagosa hot springs!

View recent photos.jpeg IMG_0173.jpeg View recent photos copy.jpeg
IMG_7357.JPG

My overall impression of Taos-- absolutely nothing has changed on the mountain since I first skied it in 1993, except the addition of the Kachina chair, all of which is a great thing. Couldn't have timed my return any better!

Left Taos for Wolf Creek to catch a Thursday storm day and Friday bluebird. Needless to say, conditions were fantastic. A few gratuitous powder shots and mountain impressions to post tomorrow.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I noticed that Sunrise has announced the last day of their season is this Sunday March 20.

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
Thur/Fri at Wolf Creek. We arrived Thur morning to about 10" overnight. It kept snowing until midnight Thur for a 21" storm total to end a 49" week. Cold, dry and deep. Tons of great skiing in deep snow right up to closing both days.

About the terrain, I'll just say there is a reason not a lot of people head to WC beyond the remote location. Waterfall, Knife Ridge, Horseshoe, cornices etc... are great fun. But man they are short! Regardless, I hope the yin and yang of WC keep it an independent, mostly 4 corners local mountain for decades to come.

IMG_0187.jpeg IMG_0203.jpeg IMG_0220.jpeg IMG_0231.jpeg IMG_0189.jpeg
IMG_0242.jpeg IMG_0245.jpeg IMG_0277.PNG IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0275.jpg

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree on WC being too flat. It’s fun for a day or two, especially early in the season when they have snow and everyone else is still dry but I’ve been once 20 years ago and haven’t felt compelled to go back since.

Sweet ass pics though pause! Thanks for posting. This years 4corners thread is really starting to deliver!

Ypu know what’s not flat? The Swiss Fucking Alps Man!

This was yesterday before dropping in to a short 45 degree rollover to the lake below (I think it’s a lake) on Oberalp Pass.

My head is spinning as I sit here on the plane ride home trying to wrap my head around wtf just happened.
57A54E03-45D2-48FB-B9EB-30C63E92BF1B.jpeg

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
RA- I was wondering where in the alps that cable car pic was from. The alps are a whole different experience than NA for sure. Good to see you getting after it!

If you haven’t been to WC in 20 years, it is a lot bigger (wider) now. When I skied it in 98/99, waterfall was newly open but you had to get towed back to the base area behind a snowcat--long lap times. Three new chairlifts have nearly tripled the expert terrain since then, but every fall line seems to be interrupted by 2 or 3 flat benches on the way to the valley floor.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
7" of new at the AZSB. "Due to high NE winds on the mountain, all chairlifts are currently on wind hold." :(

Probably a good bit of new at Sunrise, who knows, they are closed for the season. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online