• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) 2017-2018 season, who's coming this side of the pond and where?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Title says it all.
Who is coming this side of the pond ?
Where?
When?
Why (what are you looking that made you select that specific location)?

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll be skiing in Tignes December 10-15.

I might be in the Alps the last week of January or first week of February, but I'm still waiting for updates on some things at work before booking anything.

Edit: I forgot to mention the why. The Espace Killy is my go-to place for early season skiing. This year, I found the best accommodation deal in Tignes.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Title says it all.
Who is coming this side of the pond ?
Where?
When?
Why (what are you looking that made you select that specific location)?

Thank you for posting this. What's your ski area? (It's not included in your profile) Are you looking forward to making some turns visiting the good ole' continent? :beercheer:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would absolutely love to visit Italy to ski. My schedule is insane, and my pocket book is light.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I'll be on the Tyolean galciers November 4th-12th
Dolomites December 27th - January 6th
Tignes February 3-10
Kaunertaler Glacier March 17-18
Obertauern March 19-22

Somewhere mid January a long weekend, same around March 1st, Easter and April 27-30th

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a timeshare at Sankt Johann Im Pongau. Tentatively scheduled for Late January. Part of Alpendorf/ Ski Amade, it's heavy on intermediate cruisers.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
We will be buying airfare to Geneva for mid-January to early February. We will look into lodging when we see how the snow is shaping up. Portes-de-Soleil and La Clusaz are target areas but we will go for the higher resorts if that's what's necessary for decent snow. We like what we have read of those places on First Tracks TR's from a regular traveler to the Alps. At any rate the choices within easy drive radius of Geneva are staggering.

Last year we did a similar trip from Zurich, booked the first week in Lech and left the rest of the trip to last minute planning, ended up skiing SkiWelt, Kitzbuhel and Saalbach, then taking a break in Veince and finishing with Ischgl.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like I'll be staying in Champoluc February 3-10. Still haven't made my plans for January yet.

James

Out There
Instructor
Likely go to Verbier mid to late Feb. yeah, French vacation. Before, I can't resist going to Chamonix. Plus possibly going with a guide group through the tunnel to Italy and Courmayeur. They make it too easy, not even charging us for transportation from Cham last year.
Hopefully, can pull this trip off.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
We have bought the air to Geneva Jan. 16, returning Feb. 4. November weather has been favorable in much of the Alps so far. https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/ Let's hope it doesn't melt out in December like last year.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
We're heading back to the Dolomites. Skiing a week in Campitello late in January (with a swarm of Aussies ... beware), skiing around to Corvara for the week that turns into February, then skiing back to Campitello for another week; another group of Thredbo peeps is arriving to join us.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
Thank you for posting this. What's your ski area? (It's not included in your profile) Are you looking forward to making some turns visiting the good ole' continent? :beercheer:

I would absolutely love to visit Italy to ski. My schedule is insane, and my pocket book is light.

At last I made it, and will try to answer...
Well, first thing first, my home mountain is the so called "Ponte di Legno -Tonale" (new name, the old was "Adamello Ski") mountain resort, I own a season pass there and alas do not move that much around the Alps anymore, these past two years being the exception, what with a couple of fall tours in Austria ("Kitzsteinhorn" in Kaprun/Zell am See) and a couple of days in the Dolomites in November/December (Cortina in Nov 2016 and Val Zoldana in Nov/Dec 2017).
My jome resort s not big by any standard (about 100 km of pistes or so) composed of a majority of easy to intermediate runs, but with some very nice and challenging red/black run (the so known "Temu' black run" an in the woods winding and icy (mostly, because of the altitude, covered by man made snowfrom top to bottom) black, the "Corno d'Aola" black run in Ponte di Legno, again a winding and icy black run in the woods in Ponte di Legno, the "Paradiso" run, also a black, wide and straight in its central portion nested at Passo Tonale, between 2500 and 1800 mt asl, in what I can only ddefine a spectacular scenery. As for freeride/back country/side country, there's plenty and not particularly difficult with beautiful sceneries , albeit all in avalanche area: from the "easy" runs placed besides the "Paradiso" black run , "Alaska", "Canyon", known also as "Paradiso off piste itineraries" to the three classics "Cantiere" "Sgualdrina" and "Cantierino", all accesible from the top of the cable car on the glacier at 3100 mt asl), some couloir, which might require some climbing ("an easy walk" as some put it, be assure I am not such one) like the "devil's pass", or some rappel at the beginning of the descent and some skinning in the approach, like "the finger pass". Or some climbing up on the same way for the down like the "matchstick" or "Pericle Sacchi". Some nice steep and difficult couloir which might require a night out like the "Busazza", or the classic AT and glacier skiing like "Pisgana" and "Pisganino".
My advices for those willing to go out of boundary would be :
-Keep in mind that anything off a marked and groomed run is "out of boundary" here, and there are no "exit gates" as such.
-Beacon Probe and Shovel are mandatory when "out of boundary" by law in some regions of Italy, Tonale spans across two regions, in one the "triad" is mandatory in the other not, but no sense in going off piste without it (also, one could be fined by patrols, Police to be clear, if found without)
-Some itineraries could take more than one day out, like the tour to the "hippopotamus" (a WWI 149 mm gun left where it was employed in that war) or to the nearest "Cima Croce" where Pope John Paul I used to climd and celebrate mass, which will require a night out at the "Lobbia Refuge" (if open), so plan accordingly.
-If going out of boundary for the first time in an area, particularly in glacier terrain, hire a guide.
Previously I used to ski a lot in Madesimo, where @Prickly Jones skis, smaller than Tonale but with very nice runs and off piste itineraries.
Anyway, obvously it would be nice to meet up with visiting "Pug memebers"...
@Tricia, if your (Phil as well, of course) schedule and prograns will take you to Italy for "W2" or else, just chime in, we'll work out something...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there might be a cause-and-effect relationship there. :)

BTW, here's the video from an off-piste course that my brother and I did in Italy last season .
That looks awesome. And then imagining Italian food to boot...

What’s the song/music?

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier

What’s the song/music?

Sorry, I don't know the music. The video was done by the instructors who ran the course.

Funnily enough, there's no footage of me skiing in that video, but there are a few clips of my brother. The only shots of me are in two of the still photos, and I'm either off in the distance or on the edge of the picture.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier

What’s the song/music?

Sorry, I don't know the music. The video was done by the instructors who ran the course.

Giacomo Puccini, an aria from "Madama Butterfly". The "modern" arrangement fooled me and had to resort to AI to get a confirmation (Shazam)...despite this, I still cannot identify exacly which aria it is, sorry.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
It's actually from the final scene in the final act of Madama Butterfly:

Butterfly:
O a me, sceso dal trono
dell'alto Paradiso,
guarda ben fiso, fiso
di tua madre la faccia!...
che te'n resti una traccia,
guarda ben!
Amore, addio! addio! piccolo amor!
Va. Gioca, gioca.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
As said, the modern arrangement was putting me off. The song in the video is "Butterfly" (in some other findings aka "Farewell"), track no 9 of the album "Aria 3".
From Paul Schwartz, released in 2004.
On youtube I found the version, and some other songs from him...I am now officially intrigued.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I think there might be a cause-and-effect relationship there. :)

BTW, here's the video from an off-piste course that my brother and I did in Italy last season .
Where in Italy is that and what airports would be the access points?

Sponsor

Staff online