• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

12V 30A Dual Input DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT starter battery connection

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have purchased a 12V 30A Dual Input DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT as part of my solar charging system for my truck. To provide charging of the house battery while driving to supplement solar charging, I need to connect a 8 AWG cable from the charger to the starting battery. My battery terminal connector has the main wire for starting and a white(ish) wire that runs to the fuse panel. Is the post on the connector that connects to the fuse panel adequate for connecting a second wire that will run to the charger?

IMG_20230507_161211408.jpg
Yes, I'll be cleaning that connector soon. ;-)

James

Out There
Instructor
No idea, but for cleaning and coating electrical stuff, DeOxit is very good. I see they now have stuff for car battieries. I found out about the stuff years ago from an audio guy. Back when people used wires to connect components.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yea. The number of amps for your power unit is small compared to the starter that is going through that junction that is good for several hundred to a couple thousand amps.

Concern and detail should be on making a good connection with a good ring connector and good crimp.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
I suggest you post your question on this Teton Gravity thread. Lots of RV electrical experts.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the subject of clean, to me, it looks pretty good. There isn't very much white or miscolored or crystal like growth and the metal looks smooth and not pitted or worn. Just a little bit at the post.

Seems like there is a layer of grease/protectant which is protecting the terminal. It just looks dirty due to accumulated dirt/soot on the grease, but the grease is doing it's job protecting from corrosion.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have already purchased a Renogy 60amp DC to DC battery charger for my Winnebago EKKO motorhome which is due to arrive in about a month. Also on order from Amazon are 2 inline circuit breakers, one will be installed near the starting battery and the other near the house battery. It might be a bit of overkill but they will protect the Renogy from an unwanted surge from either battery.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I suggest you post your question on this Teton Gravity thread. Lots of RV electrical experts.
I have been subed to TGR's Ski-RV thread for several years as it is a great source for RVing-Skiing and is more respectful than some other TGR threads.

Sponsor

Staff online