• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your bike is most likely slower than Ideal.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
and there for not as stable, or as safe.

I now know what my next bike is going to be.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So, I'm sorry, I'm confused - he's comparing a fat 27.5 to a "normal" 29, right? Isn't that mixing variables?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
He lost me when he started pushing his bike.. :doh::huh:

Wait, I missed that part, but that is definitely a not-insignificant part of my riding experience ;-) Maybe they're just trying to appeal to the duffers?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So, I'm sorry, I'm confused - he's comparing a fat 27.5 to a "normal" 29, right? Isn't that mixing variables?

if you wanted to test FS there is only one non custom 29+ on the market.

Did anyone actually watch the video? It was different wheels on the same bike.

not only does the 27.5 + out preform the 29er on trail it also rolled fast in measurable way.

Bill you can have your 26 inch wheels but they are slower in every way. There was never a good reason for that size beside that is what they had to use.

Last edited:
TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
He lost me when he started pushing his bike.. :doh::huh:

I doubt you could ot climb this guy, my guess is he is pushing to keep the legs as fresh as possible for the timed runs aka for science sake. I am sure testing climbing would show the 27.5 plus goes up faster as well, especially in chunky climbing. Not to mention that climbs that make people push their bike now would probably be doable since they have way more grip at PSI between 15-20 psi on the plus tire.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

not only does the 27.5 + out preform the 29er on trail it also rolled fast in measurable way.

Bill you can have your 26 inch wheels but they are slower in every way. There was never a good reason for that size beside that is what they had to use.

I did watch it. Still had the question.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

I am slower in every possible way that more than offsets any wheel tire combo I have available. You always bring up 'faster'. It does not matter to me. 559, in anything from 40mm to 55mm does everything I need, always has.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
you are limiting yourself then. I am sure you can ski powder and narrow skis as well but you know it more fun on your wider skis.

Faster is testable but if something is faster it can travel down a trail slower better as well. Using something because its the way its been done its the worst reason for doing anything there ever has been. If you have your 26 inch bike and like it great, just do nt get on anything with modern geometry and the larger/wide wheel sizes.

Monique they cold test Surly instigator(26+), Kona Big Honzo(27.5+), vs a Trek Stache (29+) but the issue the bike are way different so there are variable there, and you can not use the same tire across the entire run. There are currently no 26+ production FS frames and the Lenz Fatilac is the only 29+ FS bike out there.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not switching to 27.5 any time soon but after watching I am thinking about putting some fatter tires on my 29er. More interested in grip and stability and smoothness than gaining a few seconds per mile. I do 1,10-mile race per year just for fun and as a personal fitness goal. Saving 20 seconds ain't gonna make much difference to me.

Last year I was following a guy on fat tires on a rocky rooty ride and taking his lines would have been way too rough on my bike and body so I could see how an average rider could save even more time on a technical trail just by taking a straighter line.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Saw some poor soul huffing and puffing in sub 1st on a super fat tired mountain bike to climb a minor hill the other day. The ideal set up for flying down rough, steep terrain isn't always the ideal set up to get from your house to said terrain.

I had arguably the first real downhill bike back in the 70s, Yamaha Moto Bike, very heavy but also very cool. We lived on the second highest point in the entire city, just across another valley from the town water tower. Going anywhere from our house was balls out downhill joy for a couple miles in every direction. Getting back home was :crutches:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
In some ways its not a fair test. A 27.5+ is roughly the same size as a standard 29er. Yet you can run it at lower pressure and get more grip. Is that better? Yes. In some circumstances. Technical trails with obstacles you can roll over at speed in particular. Especially downhill. Uphill is more theoretical than actual.

Is it enough better that I should spend $1000+ to upgrade my 29er? meh. I'd rather buy skis:snow:

But if you really wanted to test variables, throw some fat bike wheels/tires into the mix (and yes, I know they most likely would not fit on the rear of that bike). They are also roughly the same size as a standard 29er tire. With even less pressure, and more sidewall to compress, and wider track for grip.

And why not create a true mutant? 20" bmx superwide rims with what, 6" tires, maybe 7" to match the diameter of a 29er? In our "take it too far" culture, somebody will do it sooner or later.

All other things being equal, yes. I even considered a standard 27.5 when I bought my 29er, because I like the acceleration, and i rode several. But I am also a big guy 6'2" with long legs (34.5" bike inseam). My 29er fits. Which is important. One of my best friends, who I ride with is 5'5". He loves his old Spec 26" FS. And well he should. That tire size matters when you are throwing the bike around. And he loves technical trails. And I love XC.

Next time I buy a bike, if there is a 27.5+ option in the same price range, with similar specs, as the 29ers I'm looking at, I'll consider it. Based on today's market, that is unlikely.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I have ridden 584 and 622 setups (I only talk ISO, not slang for wheel/tire size). The 584 was fine, no big deal. But the 622 was awful I thought. Reminds me of when HONDA went though a 23" period for their trail bikes front tire size.. It was gonna be the next 'big' thing. Thankfully that blew over in just a couple years. Yep, back to 21".

You understand that once you buy their current 'best' thing, they have to make up a new 'best' thing in order to sell you something else, right? Skiing ain't no different either...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not switching to 27.5 any time soon but after watching I am thinking about putting some fatter tires on my 29er. More interested in grip and stability and smoothness than gaining a few seconds per mile. I do 1,10-mile race per year just for fun and as a personal fitness goal. Saving 20 seconds ain't gonna make much difference to me.

Last year I was following a guy on fat tires on a rocky rooty ride and taking his lines would have been way too rough on my bike and body so I could see how an average rider could save even more time on a technical trail just by taking a straighter line.

I bought my downhill rig with I think 2.6" tires. It was just so smooth. When I had to get new tires, I got some slightly narrower ones, and the difference was immediately noticeable - even for me, who doesn't usually notice tire differences. Surprising that a bike with 7 or 8 inches of travel still feels different with wider tires.

Sponsor

Staff online