• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
... it just give you an incentive to be in the lead at all times. Anyone who follows oval racing has seen that over and over. There was talk of brilliance of taking races off to rest and then run the tables at the following races. Circumstances out of anyone’s control made that plan not pan out in the end.
Im just sad the racing is over for the season and have to wait till October

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think everyone will probably decide for themselves when they look at the official results whether they feel it necessary to apply their own personal asterisk. The official results will, imo rightly, not have one, and in 10 years few will remember all the circumstances anyway. For me Brignone has been spectacular this season, see the post a few pages ago by Ivan, and completely deserved winner.

edit: never that good at words

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'm barely feeling any heat. We need more flames and you'll have to fan them faster... ;)

So let's take an informal poll. If MS's father hadn't died and this season hadn't been shortened by the virus, who wins the overall? My money is on MS every time.

I get that stuff happens that is unexpected over the course of any season, but I contend that these very specific events clearly changed the outcome.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
If MS's father hadn't died and this season hadn't been shortened by the virus, who wins the overall?
"If" doesn't matter. I'm sick of these ifs listening some tv commentators in biathlon telling "if s/he wouldn't miss x shoots, s/he would be this and that". Well my favorite reply is, if I would be skiing faster when I was still racing, I would have won Olympics. And everyone laugh on that as it would be ridiculous. Truth is, it really is ridiculous, but it's just as ridiculous as any other if. Maybe Shiffrin would won if her father wouldn't died. Maybe she wouldn't. But it really doesn't matter what if. Fact is she didn't win it. Brignone won fair and square and there's no asterix/less important/who gives a shit win, but just as important and as fair as any other globe in past.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I suspect at this time in her life Mikaela really doesn’t care who won and if there is an asterisk. If she is the young woman we think she is then she is happy for her competitors.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
See 2016, and Mikaela’s season. Dominant at the start and end. Missed the heart of the season, knee. No SL globe, no overall globe. No asterisk. No discussion.

I don't consider injury that occurs while doing your sport in the same category as events that impact the season that are completely out of the athletes' control.

Are you making the argument that the end result would not have been different had those "external" events not occurred?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't consider injury that occurs while doing your sport in the same category as events that impact the season that are completely out of the athletes' control.

Are you making the argument that the end result would not have been different had those "external" events not occurred?
Another question... would you have been in favor of an asterisk for Brignone if the season ended normally, because of Shiffrin's absence?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is end result, and no it wouldn't be different as there's only one result. This what it is. No ifs ors or buts. Anyone had chance to race all the races that went through. Every year there are races that get canceled with one or the other reason, but only thing that count on the end is number of points that someone has when the last race is over. And race being canceled due warm weather or snow storm is same as race being canceled due some virus.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Are you making the argument.....

Not making an argument, and done discussing it. Been around this for a LONG time. A lot happens in the course of a season. Always has, always will.

My point is that back in 2016, many clueless people were saying the same thing. "The only reason....was because...." Foolish, IMO.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
They all had the same # races. Shiffrin chose to have a lot fewer.
The same number of races this season, but those that won the globe in a full season had an additional burden and have a legit reason to feel they have a higher level of success and that their trophy has been lessoned.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Weather - part of the sport.
Injury - part of the sport.

Accidental death and global pandemic - NOT part of the sport.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think everyone will probably decide for themselves when they look at the official results whether they feel it necessary to apply their own personal asterisk. The official results will, imo rightly, not have one, and in 10 years few will remember all the circumstances anyway. For me Brignone has been spectacular this season, see the post a few pages ago by Ivan, and completely deserved winner.

edit: never that good at words
You say who will remember but the record books will remember and so does the internet. How come so many people know that Baby Ruth hit 60 home runs in 154 games and Roger Maris hit 61 in 162 games? He hit the 61st in the last game of the season.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
You say who will remember but the record books will remember and so does the internet. How come so many people know that Baby Ruth hit 60 home runs in 154 games and Roger Maris hit 61 in 162 games? He hit the 61st in the last game of the season.
because it's a counting stat in baseball?

Nobody is saying that Roger Maris's 1961 HR title gets an asterisk because 30 years prior, there were fewer games available. It's the place in the all-time record books that's in question.

So ... if there were a season in which there were 70 races, and MS won 25 races in a year, and then every other season was more typical with ~40 races on the calendar, then you can say the 25 is an anomaly and probably deserves some sort of note for the "Most wins in a season" all-time list. But to take away the achievements in a season that was shortened for any reason ... is silly.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Asking for a friend: did anyone say back in 2002 that Strobl's, Aamodt's, and Eberharter's Olympic victories should get an asterisk because Hermann Maier got injured in a motorcycle accident and was unable to compete? Maier was in the form of his life before the accident and could very well have won at least one gold at the Olympics...

P.S. Sorry if that is off-topic.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@Noodler, no doubt that Mikeala is the best women's skier in the world right now. But that doesn't mean she should get the crystal globe -- she had to be present to compete and prove it. Life happens, whether it is weather, sickness/injury, bad luck, good luck, or mental health, etc. It is a competition and determined by who shows up, competes, wins, places, is persistent, lucky, good, successful, unlucky, and all the rest of it.

Congrats to Brignone -- she earned it and deserves it.

Mike

Sponsor

Staff online