• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wondering which ski

Sidewinder

Booting up
Skier
Hi All
I live in the northeast and am getting more into skinning/touring. No long trips, just at resorts, local countryside, and am planning a trip to do the cog ascent of Mount Washington. Going to bite on a tech binding (Tecton 12) and have Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD boots. Thinking of putting them on one of my current skis. Would like it to be good for multi conditions and thinking that what I might encounter on Washington wouldn’t be conducive to a very light ski. Am considering either the Brahmas, Bonafides, or I also have an older pair of Salomon Q90’s that used to have telemark bindings. Could anyone offer advice as to whether any of these will be a better choice for this binding and use?
Thanks so much!
Jeff

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are some really good lighter skis on the market today Head Kore, Armada Tracer 98, Fischer Ranger 98 and Volkl 90Eight to name a few.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The Brahma and Bonafides are heavy skis so a tech binding doesnt make much sense on them. I really liked the Head Kore 93 in 180cm and would definitely put a tech binding on it. Its a super versatile ski since its very light and works well for a wide range of conditions inside and outside the resort. There are other options obviously but I have not personally been on them.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had dynafit bindings on bonafides for a couple of years and they were excellent.

Gettes

Booting up
Skier
Don't think the OP was looking for suggestions on a new ski. In my non-expert opinion take whichever 1 of those 3 pair you prefer in variable non-groomed conditions and mount them up, my guess would be the Bonafides. Seems like I came across quite a few people who used the Bonafide for touring when doing my homework. If you start getting concerned with weight and the uphill side of things you can always change it up. Judging from your setup with the Hawks and Tecton 12's I'm guessing you're like me and getting in to going up mostly for the going down(and the workout of course).

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Most light weight touring skis are not fun on Washington if any bit choppy...

My suggestion is the new Salomon QST 92, light stable and damp. Really good corn performance, and pretty decent in most powder.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The Brahma and Bonafides are heavy skis so a tech binding doesnt make much sense on them. I really liked the Head Kore 93 in 180cm and would definitely put a tech binding on it. Its a super versatile ski since its very light and works well for a wide range of conditions inside and outside the resort. There are other options obviously but I have not personally been on them.

A light binding on the Bs is still lighter than an alpine binding. Why doesn't it make sense?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Brahma and Bonafides are heavy skis so a tech binding doesnt make much sense on them.

A light binding on the Bs is still lighter than an alpine binding. Why doesn't it make sense?
What she says ^

Also, the Tecton is not a ‘light binding’ in the touring sense of that word. In other words, It’s not a minimal skimo race binding.

It has lateral release and elasticity at the toe, and it has an alpine style heel, with its firm hold and elasticity.

So, if your point was that a tech binding wouldn’t be able to ski at the level that the Bonafides were capable of, I think that the Tecton offers performance far above the most minimal tech bindings.

And, let’s remember, @JeffM wants to choose one of his existing skis, not buy a new one! So even if the set-up is isn’t perfect, it saves him buying a mother new pair of skis.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What she says ^

Also, the Tecton is not a ‘light binding’ in the touring sense of that word. In other words, It’s not a minimal skimo race binding.

It has lateral release and elasticity at the toe, and it has an alpine style heel, with its firm hold and elasticity.

So, if your point was that a tech binding wouldn’t be able to ski at the level that the Bonafides were capable of, I think that the Tecton offers performance far above the most minimal tech bindings.

And, let’s remember, @JeffM wants to choose one of his existing skis, not buy a new one! So even if the set-up is isn’t perfect, it saves him buying a mother new pair of skis.

Oh no, a tech binding can definitely be up to the task of driving the Bonafides. No doubt. Of course he can get the binding use it on existing boards. Its a matter of weight. The Bonafides are some of the heaviest skis per sq. in. made. Ditto with my Head Monsters.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh no, a tech binding can definitely be up to the task of driving the Bonafides. No doubt. Of course he can get the binding use it on existing boards. Its a matter of weight. The Bonafides are some of the heaviest skis per sq. in. made. Ditto with my Head Monsters.

My AT skis are not great on paper for AT - they're not light and they're twin-tipped. But I already owned them (AT bindings are expensive!!), I knew that they were very easy to ski, and I knew that I would appreciate a familiar ski after slogging uphill.

If I ever get to the point where A) my AT boots aren't killing my feet and B) I then also find myself doing a lot of skinning, I would love to get something more appropriate. But until then, it works just fine. Honest.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

If you do enough vertical, the answer will be readily apparent. If your touring partners are all equally strong on the up, the one with the heaviest rig has to use more energy to keep up. And honestly, there are several light(er) skis that go down well in BC condtions (no moguls, acres of cut up crud like inbounds). That said, if the budget is tight and you're recycling an older ski from the alpine quiver for a touring rig, wrung what ya brung. ogsmile

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you do enough vertical, the answer will be readily apparent. If your touring partners are all equally strong on the up, the one with the heaviest rig has to use more energy to keep up. And honestly, there are several light(er) skis that go down well in BC condtions (no moguls, acres of cut up crud like inbounds). That said, if the budget is tight and you're recycling an older ski from the alpine quiver for a touring rig, wrung what ya brung. ogsmile

Right, it's that last part. I don't see any harm in mounting an expensive AT binding to an existing ski after you just also sprang for expensive AT boots - and then seeing whether you like it.

Here's what the OP said:

No long trips, just at resorts, local countryside

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Use any ski you want. For short trips it won't make any difference. Someday if you decide to do some longer tours, you can upgrade the ski to something lighter. And yes, there are light skis that ski well in junky, chopped up, icy, windblown, etc. conditions. Kastle TX 90 and 98 and Blizzard Zero G 95 and 108 come to mind as wideish light skis that rip. Lots of good skiing light skis in the 80 mm category as well.

Sponsor

Staff online