• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why is the cost of skiing disproportionately aimed at ski resorts?

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe he meant east of the Mississippi. NC/TN has 9 of the 10 highest peaks on the east coast. Mt. Washington only comes in at #8
Additional elevation in New England wouldn't help at all. Just look at the winter weather on Mt Washington. Treeline in New England is somewhere around 5000 feet. Without the elevation in the banana belt there would be no skiing at all.

James

Out There
Instructor
Banana belt?
He meant battery and ev belt. More like suspenders.

IMG_1596.png

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Additional elevation in New England wouldn't help at all. Just look at the winter weather on Mt Washington. Treeline in New England is somewhere around 5000 feet. Without the elevation in the banana belt there would be no skiing at all.
Yeah, for sure. I was surprised there is as much as there is. I had never skied farther south than the Poconos until I went to Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail about 7 or 8 years ago.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or Montana: Montana Snowbowl, Lost Trail, Discovery, Red Lodge, Turner, Blacktail, etc.
I was just thinking recently about a day I spent at Maverick, specifically the lifty. He was classic Montana rancher - older guy, Carhartt overalls, Sorels, one of those red plaid hunting hats with earflaps and friendly as could be. No lift line, just ski up, talk with that guy, who was in no hurry, and get on. Hit the hot springs afterwards. Small hill heaven.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Before 1984 I always bought day tickets. I skied about 25-30 days a season. I had a friend who had a season pass and it took him about 20 days to equal the cost of walk-up tickets, and I didn't want to tie myself to a single resort. Didn't ski from 1984 to 2002. Since then, I've used combinations of four-passes and discount tickets to ski 5-7 days a season for about $35 a day. When I got old enough to buy senior passes I began skiing 8-12 days a season for less than $35 a day.

For a while after returning to skiing, I was wearing less than $500 in clothing and equipment standing in the lift line. Even now, after buying newer gear and clothing, I still have on less than $700-$800 in gear each day, and I bought it over several years, instead of all at once.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes lift tickets are expensive and they are forcing you to get into the season passes.

However:
-Many skiers today have 2+ sets of skis (etc one for powder one for carve) with some die hards having 6+ (Cost: $1500-$3000). Ski equipment, is just like any other commodity and don't last forever. Eventually they would have to be replaced and the industry average is around 7 years.
-Skiing specific clothing. Most people have 1-2+ skiing specific jacket that isn't really worn anywhere else. Waterproof, pass pocket, snow waist trap etc. As well, snowpants, thermal socks, gloves, etc (Cost: $300-$1200)
-Ski helmet $50-$150
-Ski Goggles. High end ski goggles can go upwards of $250. Cost: $50-$250
-Ski wax and tuning each year ($50 per set)
-Cargo roof: More and more people spend upwards of $1000 for those Thule cargo systems
-Gas costs: Depending on where you live, it costs anywhere from $15-$40 (1hr-3hr) per day trip to your local resort. If you go 20x, thats $300-$800
-Winter Tires: Depending on where you live, you would have to get winter tires that you otherwise wouldn't have bought. Cost $1000+
-Ski Vacation: Not going to estimate this but definitely in the $3000+ and even $10,000 for a family of 4

As you can see, we have quite a few costs beyond the price of a pass/lift ticket yet the majority of the discussion about costs are aimed at ski resorts...
I have yet to see anyone lament paying $300 to tune their 6 sets of ski gear...

Guilty as charged! Now I do shop the sales and outlet stores for clothing bargains and I do work P/T at a ski shop where I get good deals on equipment. As for the tuning of my 6 pairs of skis, the shop does them for free for me!

In the end, I spend way too much on my favorite sport! But it makes me feel good and I do use most of my gear.

Just got back into cycling and that sport ain't cheap either!

Just don't ask me how much I spend on my 3 motorcycles each year!

Rick G

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here with some more local gear price data. Got this Helly Henson for 5$ today.
1000005059.jpg
1000005058.jpg

This one they did research some. $77. I passed on it
1000005057.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
By coincidence, my buddy took a pic of a weekend pass from 1995 he dug up during his recent move, $17. That's $34 in today's money. A day pass at that resort is currently $91. So figure $150 for a weekend pass.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some good info here for you New England skiers.
I have had great days at places like Dartmouth and Whaleback. Not everyday has to be a mega vertical day. Some of the terrain on those places are great.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January