• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

White Pass turn, the definitive story

JPL

JPL
Skier
Anybody know what ski the Mahres are using in Deb Armstrong's video?

James

Out There
Instructor
Anybody know what ski the Mahres are using in Deb Armstrong's video?
515B6B29-E16E-4712-9DCB-7AF37FC7A8A3.jpeg

Isn’t that the e race or e speed Pro?

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
and a big thanks to Deb Armstrong for taking us along on days like this.

This is an example of what Deb A refers to as 'over baking things'. Perhaps of baking the wrong things.

About 7.5m into the VDO the Mahre brothers clarify the orgin and practical use of the White Pass turn. In their words -
'Its a mistake resulting from a tactical mistake'
'You cant do it consistently'
'No one needs to practice the WP turn'

I submit the WP turn drill is really one of many useful & not so useful agility & balance drills for developing racers, may be high end skiers.
I also suggest dryland work such as one footed hopping drills on a rope ladder on the floor or, the more challenging one footed hopping on a single or multiple bosu balls is a cheaper more effective way of developing agility & balance. Then if you really have the need to do a WP or a Charlston drills on the slopes knock yourself out. Better to hone your body in dryland and save the money and time for enjoyment on the slopes IMHO.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is an example of what Deb A refers to as 'over baking things'. Perhaps of baking the wrong things.

About 7.5m into the VDO the Mahre brothers clarify the orgin and practical use of the White Pass turn. In their words -
'Its a mistake resulting from a tactical mistake'
'You cant do it consistently'
'No one needs to practice the WP turn'

I submit the WP turn drill is really one of many useful & not so useful agility & balance drills for developing racers, may be high end skiers.
I also suggest dryland work such as one footed hopping drills on a rope ladder on the floor or, the more challenging one footed hopping on a single or multiple bosu balls is a cheaper more effective way of developing agility & balance. Then if you really have the need to do a WP or a Charlston drills on the slopes knock yourself out. Better to hone your body in dryland and save the money and time for enjoyment on the slopes IMHO.

Gees RoninSkier, you're treading on one of my sacred cows here! :cool:

Whilst I'd agree that no-one needs to do any particular ski drill - there's always another way to bring about a similar result - the question for me is: will it help my skiing and do it quickly/efficiently? And therefore, by extension, likely to be helpful to others in similar circumstances.

Also have a preference for drills that can deal with multiple issues by changing the participant's focus. That's because in the L3 teach exam there isn't time to give each 'student' their own drill. As a drill, WP turns work on fore/aft and lateral balance, commitment to the new turn, patience on moving inside, timing of inclination vs angulation and inside & outside foot placement.

Plus if it's good enough for Richie it's ok by me. :beercheer:

James

Out There
Instructor
You can do them on the way to the lift.

The history of the WP Mahre story isn’t new. Bob Barnes worked with the Mahres at their training center at Keystone for years.

The drill has been used for decades, I wouldn’t make too much of the Mahre’s bemused response.

IMG_1302.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

Bob Barnes, third edition published 1999.

Sponsor