• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which Doberman Boot?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
So, I have a 14/15 Doberman 130 boot with EDT (whatever that is). I'd like to keep my boot setup as consistent as possible, so is the new boot the Doberman 130 EDT more or less the same or do I go with the Doberman Grand Prix 130? Is the 130 EDT a plug boot? I see that the last is 93 vs 98 mm, but any idea what the last is on my old boot?

It's a bit of a mystery to me -- not much info on the Nordica website...

Mike

James

Out There
Instructor
What type of liner do you have? Ie, lace up? Did the toe lugs require routing before being useable?
A 98mm last will feel cavernous.

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Thanks James, the old Doberman does not have a lace up liner. My foot is fairly wide. I was surprised when I fit in the Doberman, and without a punch. Whether the lugs had to be routed absent boot alignment, I don't know, as my alignment requires 4.5 degrees of cant and that requires routing the lugs...

Mike

James

Out There
Instructor
Never heard of a Dobermann plug without a lace up. That name is used on lots of stuff.
In your case I would go to Lindsey, or Bergeron, or Mosh. If you want to order a plug call PJ at Race Stock Sports in Waterbury, VT.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So, I have a 14/15 Doberman 130 boot with EDT (whatever that is). I'd like to keep my boot setup as consistent as possible, so is the new boot the Doberman 130 EDT more or less the same or do I go with the Doberman Grand Prix 130? Is the 130 EDT a plug boot? I see that the last is 93 vs 98 mm, but any idea what the last is on my old boot?

It's a bit of a mystery to me -- not much info on the Nordica website...

Mike

http://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/nordica-dobermann-edt-130

Seems it is 98mm wide.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
That boot isn't that old, is there a failure of some type? You can likely just get a new liner and be good to go if it's packed out.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks for that Ken.

While the boot isn't that old, it has nearly 300 days on it. Stuff is falling off. Time for a new pair.

Mike

People forget how quickly days add up when you're on the hill full time. Wow, 4.5 is huge. Just curious, but do you do some on the boot and shim the binding(s) as well? Boot wise, it sounds like you're not in a plug. If you were, you'd have seen the warning stickers about the need to grind/rout the soles/lugs all over the boot. Maybe a pict would help?

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I suspect that the boot had such warnings, but as I bought it from Bootech and Jim set it up at the time of sale, I didn't really see the boot in its "virgin" state.

I have 4 pair of skis that I regularly ski: my normal all mountain ski (MX83 to be replaced by a MX84), hard snow ski (RX12), a "deep snow" ski (MX98), and a beginners teaching ski (we are required to teach levels 1-3 on short skis). It's infeasible to shim all of those skis, so I do everything inside and on the boot...

Mike

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just curious and maybe a different thread, but what's the required beginners teaching ski?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was a 98mm shell. It was shared with the Patron Pro at one point. If you are looking at a new boot, the GP would be where you would start with a Nordica but also the Tecnica Mach1 130 LV, HEad Raptor 130 and most other race derived boots but not the full on plug models which will be in the low 90mm range in width.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I suspect that the boot had such warnings, but as I bought it from Bootech and Jim set it up at the time of sale, I didn't really see the boot in its "virgin" state.

I have 4 pair of skis that I regularly ski: my normal all mountain ski (MX83 to be replaced by a MX84), hard snow ski (RX12), a "deep snow" ski (MX98), and a beginners teaching ski (we are required to teach levels 1-3 on short skis). It's infeasible to shim all of those skis, so I do everything inside and on the boot...

Mike
Before you start shimming skis, make sure you are starting with a consistant delta in the binding. Even within brands, there is little consistency, a Tyrolia PRD on the RX is much different than the Attacks that you will use on the MX's. Any solid sole/lugged boot can be shimmed farily easily.

Sponsor