• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When flying, anyone strap ski boots to backpack as 1 "carry-on"?

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
I have never found a carryon that fits the size requirements and holds my boots. I use a wide strap (short shoulder strap) that clips them together and a small backpack for the other stuff I can't rent if luggage is lost. I can attach boots to pack during layovers but I carry my boots separately on the plane.
Check out the Sportube overhead backpack I posted above. It’s sized to meet airline requirements hence the name “overhead”

It does include a bungee hammock for your helmet so you cbs carry everything physically. Usually have to remove the helmet when I toss it in the overhead bin but can typically find a spot in the bin for the helmet.

and to be clear I live in Florida so I HAVE to fly to ski. So my pack gets a lot of use.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Check out the Sportube overhead backpack I posted above. It’s sized to meet airline requirements hence the name “overhead”

It does include a bungee hammock for your helmet so you cbs carry everything physically. Usually have to remove the helmet when I toss it in the overhead bin but can typically find a spot in the bin for the helmet.

and to be clear I live in Florida so I HAVE to fly to ski. So my pack gets a lot of use.
They let you carry that big of a carryon? My boots don't fit in the size guide inside a nylon bag with nothing else! Airports & airlines are why I drive even if it's 27 hours straight one way!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My boots don't fit in the size guide inside a nylon bag with nothing else!
That doesn't seem possible for the overhead space. Are you saying you couldn't get your boots in a rolling carry-on suitcase?

Many, many bags and cases should provide different ways to carry boots on board. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding...

David

Skier
That doesn't seem possible for the overhead space. Are you saying you couldn't get your boots in a rolling carry-on suitcase?

Many, many bags and cases should provide different ways to carry boots on board. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding...
Next to each other they are too wide. Put together with one above and upside down they're too tall. I haven't found a carryon bag that they fit in and can fit inside the guide at our airport. That's why a dmall backpack with stuff I need on the plane as my personal item and the boots strapped together as my carryon.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Next to each other they are too wide. Put together with one above and upside down they're too tall. I haven't found a carryon bag that they fit in and can fit inside the guide at our airport. That's why a dmall backpack with stuff I need on the plane as my personal item and the boots strapped together as my carryon.
What airline/airplane? Got a link to the size of the guide?

Most people here are talking about standard plane overhead spaces - like a 737, that will hold a small suitcase that could probably even hold 2 pairs of boots. That's why I'm confused.

For instance... the overhead allowance for American Airlines:

1711410745642.png

And even for the under-seat space in front of you, they allow 18 x 14 x 8 inches (though that would leave zero room for your feet, so may not be practical).

And if it's a regional jet/plane without standard spaces, they would usually let you gate-check it, ensuring that it goes on the plane. So the same practical effect as carrying it on. If you're gate-checking, I wouldn't worry about trying to get boots on the plane with you.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
They let you carry that big of a carryon? My boots don't fit in the size guide inside a nylon bag with nothing else! Airports & airlines are why I drive even if it's 27 hours straight one way!
That big? Dimensions wise it’s sized to the current airline standards. It’s literally a bag that was designed to fit in airlines over head bins.
Yes I carry it every time without issue.

David

Skier
What airline/airplane? Got a link to the size of the guide?

Most people here are talking about standard plane overhead spaces - like a 737, that will hold a small suitcase that could probably even hold 2 pairs of boots. That's why I'm confused.

For instance... the overhead allowance for American Airlines:

View attachment 230993

And even for the under-seat space in front of you, they allow 18 x 14 x 8 inches (though that would leave zero room for your feet, so may not be practical).

And if it's a regional jet/plane without standard spaces, they would usually let you gate-check it, ensuring that it goes on the plane. So the same practical effect as carrying it on. If you're gate-checking, I wouldn't worry about trying to get boots on the plane with you.
It's an international airport. I jyst drive unless it's over 24 hours away.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's an international airport. I jyst drive unless it's over 24 hours away.
Not airport exactly - I was asking what kind of planes you're boarding, where your boot bag won't fit the airline's overhead requirements.

James

Out There
Instructor
Really? I find that amazing!

The space under your seat, below you, belongs to the person behind you, and there's a bar keeping you from sliding anything backward under you. So yes, where your feet go. Surely you've at least seen lots and lots of other people doing this?
Yes but it’s usually for convenience, no? I’ve done this before with a small backpack.
Not that long ago, like 2016, 7, maybe 8, I used to take that Lange Bag, (or a Sync bag), the boots on the shoulder, and a daypack/book bag. It was nuts. All carried on blissfully with no protests. Now that at times might have gone under the seat, I can’t remember.

There’s so little room these days it’s crazy. I could barely eat the meal because there’s not enough room to move my arms.

David

Skier
Not airport exactly - I was asking what kind of planes you're boarding, where your boot bag won't fit the airline's overhead requirements.
All of them because the size box they use is at the ticket check-in and at the TSA gate.

James

Out There
Instructor
Some of the things people drag on planes would by mere sight not fit in that size o’meter. Maybe things are starting to get real, but I’ve never tested a bag nor been required to.

I also think airlines sometimes lie about “full flights” and getting you to check your carry on when you check in online. On the way back this year I did that. Flight was nowhere near full and I had 3 seats to myself.

However, they were concerned about where people were sitting and wouldn’t allow movement until an hour into the flight. They said it was for balance reasons. So maybe encouraging checking bags makes it wasier to get the weight balance.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
All of them because the size box they use is at the ticket check-in and at the TSA gate.
Are you in Europe or the states? I’ve never had a domestic airline use the bag size chexk box and I’ve been flying my entire life in very high Rates. Now over seas yes they have been known to be obsessed with that damn bag check box.

David

Skier
Are you in Europe or the states? I’ve never had a domestic airline use the bag size chexk box and I’ve been flying my entire life in very high Rates. Now over seas yes they have been known to be obsessed with that damn bag check box.
Michigan. They make me chevk every time as well as anyone that looks close in size. But again I don't fly much because of my hatred for the airport hassle.

James

Out There
Instructor
Never had my bag checked. Domestic or international. Not that many int’l flights, say 8 x 2 for round trip in the last 8 yrs.

That is why I take the boots off the outside of the bag though before the counter and the gate. Otherwise the thing looks enormous.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Michigan. They make me chevk every time as well as anyone that looks close in size. But again I don't fly much because of my hatred for the airport hassle.
Are you typically hopping on smaller commuter planes as opposed to full size airliners? Usually from an a319/737 up they aren’t checking bag size.

David

Skier
Sometimes 737 (same size as from Chicago - Denver) and once in a while it's a bit smaller. Carrying them over my shoulder is fine but before next years trip I may go shopping with my boots for a wheeled carryon just to see.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Sometimes 737 (same size as from Chicago - Denver) and once in a while it's a bit smaller. Carrying them over my shoulder is fine but before next years trip I may go shopping with my boots for a wheeled carryon just to see.
They make a wheeled version of my back pack as well. Again sized to meet most airlines overhead requirements.

David

Skier
They make a wheeled version of my back pack as well. Again sized to meet most airlines overhead requirements.

I'll look at both. Maybe I can find a sale this summer.

Sponsor

Staff online