• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What skis to replace my Progressor 900s?

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I’ve greatly enjoyed my 2015 Fischer Progressor 900’s in 170cm, and they still have a lot of life left in them. But I want to demo some potential replacements this season. I want something very similar in character/performance. I wouldn't mind something a bit more versatile in ungroomed snow conditions, but - in spite of the fact that I’ll turn 75 in December - I am not willing to give up high-speed smoothness, edge grip, and carving prowess on truly hard snow. My research has turned up the following possibilities. Any comments, additions, or deletions? Thanks!
Skis to demo 2024.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any of those will be great options. Maybe replace the Deacon 80 with the Deacon 72 or 76. I'd say with the extended tip rise in the Rossi, the 70* in the next size up. The Blizzard might be the least versitile if the conditions change unexpectedly soft.

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Thanks Phil!
Based on my satisfaction with the P900's, the Curv GT will be at the top of my list. Make sense?
OK, will add the Deacon 76, but the shortest size is 171, and I've been focused on 167-168.
What's the deal with the 'Lowride XL 13' binding on the Deacon 80? Seems like it would hamper acheiving high edge angles rather than facilitate it, or am I misssing something?
The Rossi Forza 70* only comes in 163, 173, and 181 - which seems weird! What about replacing it with the Experience 82 Ti in 168? (I'm focused on 75-80 in the width category however.)
Will probably remove the Blizzard.
Any comments on the Nordica?
I should remind anyone considering commenting that I skied on Atomic Vantage 83's in 168 for 1 season 2 years ago, found them to be 'not enough ski' on hardpack, gave them to my strong-intermediate son, and went back to the P900's (once I got my boots dialed in); I do like a not-too-light, well-damped ski. And remember, this is just a demo list - I probably won't buy until next August. (I know, then the 2025 models will be out.)
Thanks again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I should remind anyone considering commenting that I skied on Atomic Vantage 83's in 168 for 1 season 2 years ago, found them to be 'not enough ski' on hardpack,
For that reason, while I like the Deacon 80 and Rossi 82, you might find this again, they are not what you are lookign for in a ski to replace the Progressor
What's the deal with the 'Lowride XL 13' binding on the Deacon 80? Seems like it would hamper acheiving high edge angles rather than facilitate it, or am I misssing something?
It is not flat on the deck by any means, more a marketing name.

Any comments on the Nordica?
It is a good ski and will do what you want.
Based on my satisfaction with the P900's, the Curv GT will be at the top of my list. Make sense?
Yup, you struck oil, stop drilling and start shopping.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fischer RC4 The Curv GT. This is the closest that I have found. Very similar to the Progressor 900. If anything the Curv Gt is a bit stronger underfoot and has just a bit more top end. If you try the Curv GT it will feel familiar and comfortable. Haven't been on the Nordica Spitfire, but the Blizzard Thunderbird 15WB and Rossignol Forza 70v are also excellent skis, but have a bit different feel than the Progressor. I'm not sure that you can miss in this category. Lots of excellent skis available on the market in this category.

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Fischer RC4 The Curv GT. This is the closest that I have found. Very similar to the Progressor 900. If anything the Curv Gt is a bit stronger underfoot and has just a bit more top end. If you try the Curv GT it will feel familiar and comfortable ...

Yes, well said. The RC4 The Curv GT had been at the top of my list. But I'm 75 now, and my top end is becoming a bit lower, so I decided to stay with a wide-narrow (narrow-wide?) hard-snow carver but shorter with a tighter turn radius and a bit less top end. (Again, see: I-Need-to-Brag Thread, post #3,300.) Oh, and I definitely wanted the Protector binding; at this stage of my life, a knee injury could end my skiing career for good - and I'm not nearly ready to quit yet!

Last edited:
TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Why the Head e-Rally, which was not even on my original list? Here are some edited excerpts from my OP:

I’ve greatly enjoyed my 2015 Fischer Progressor 900’s in 170cm, and they still have life left in them. But I want to demo some potential replacements this season. I want something very similar in character/performance. I wouldn't mind something a bit more versatile in ungroomed snow conditions, but - in spite of the fact that I’ll turn 75 in December - I am not willing to give up high-speed smoothness, edge grip, and carving prowess on truly hard snow.

I should remind anyone considering commenting that I skied on Atomic Vantage 83's in 168 for 1 season 2 years ago, found them to be 'not enough ski' on hardpack, gave them to my strong-intermediate son, and went back to the P900's. I do like a not-too-light, well-damped ski.

That was back in October. Phil made it clear to me that the Fischer RC4 The Curve GT in 168 would be most like my P900s in character. But this season, while I felt I skied well, I felt that my own top end is becoming a bit lower and that the P900s were encouraging me to ski faster than is now prudent. I didn't have the opportunity to demo, but I decided to stay with a well-damped hard-snow carver but in shorter length with a tighter turning radius and a bit less top end and hopefully with a tad more versatility in less-than-perfectly-groomed conditions.

I hadn't been considering the Head e-Rally for only one reason: the available sizing seemed wrong - I wanted to go below 170, but 163 seemed too short. But from what I've since learned, the e-Rallys ski 'long' for their stated length, so when I saw an end-of-season deal on a ski that purports to be exactly what I'm looking for (in 163) I grabbed it. The Protector bindings are an important upgrade, and - based on my past experience (I had it on the Vantage 83's) - I think the Phantom Base Treatment is worth it as well.

At this point, I'm not worried about them being too short. A long time ago, I migrated from 205cm GS skis (Rossignol Roc 550s) to 195cm Slalom skis (K2 710 FO's) and had a blast on them for a few years. And, as everyone here keeps telling me, I can always get another pair of skis to supplement the ones I already have!:D

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online