• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What cell phone should I get?

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was relegated to using a Network Extender when my office was in my house. The tower peeks over Gibson Hill and I get good (enough) service in my over-the-garage office now. The problems of living in a mountain community. :)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My family has a Verizon tower on our land in New Mexico. The town fought it for years and lost so Verizon put it up and painted it green and no one even knows it is there. They did notice how they have better cell service.

If I owned suitable land in the area I'd be going to Verizon and offering to lease them space for a tower.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
That open signal crowdsourced thingy is only as good as its users. It shows no cell service here. But I sort of have it. I get disconnected a lot at my house, but there not a single green square near me. We rely heavily on our landline for service because of disconnects. We even own some corded phones to snap in during power outages.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That open signal crowdsourced thingy is only as good as its users. It shows no cell service here. But I sort of have it. I get disconnected a lot at my house, but there not a single green square near me. We rely heavily on our landline for service because of disconnects. We even own some corded phones to snap in during power outages.

Does it show no service or no reports? I agree that it is only as good as the reports it gets but at least in more urban or suburban places it should be a reasonable estimate.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
In the event that people aren't aware of these devices, Network Extenders are cellular provider specific devices that put a 'mini' tower in your home. Just hook it up to the internet and your phone connects via cellular to the extender which gets your phone on line with cellular functionality.

This may be moot if you have WiFi calling on your phone, but it can be a godsend for those that don't have WiFi calling and poor to no cellular service at home.

This is the product Verizon offers: https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-services/hotspots/network-extenders/

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I talked to a local vendor about some WiFi thingy they were providing WiFi via the cell tower as a means of replacing my DSL, but we are on the edge of the tower and until they put in a new tower they won't guarantee anything. Since every time it wasn't working I'd have to run downstairs and reconnect the DSL, I didn't see the point.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Does it show no service or no reports? I agree that it is only as good as the reports it gets but at least in more urban or suburban places it should be a reasonable estimate.
I think lack of reports. No green boxes. Verizon is clearly the best, tho.

Screenshot_20180919-131633~2.png

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
We're talking in the context of skiing, of a cold environment, right? A Nokia Lumia, from before the brand was acquired from Microsoft. A phone designed in Salo, Finland rather than, say, Cupertino, California.

For apps, I use a small lightweight iPhone 5S that gets internet via data sharing or wifi

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We're talking in the context of skiing, of a cold environment, right? A Nokia Lumia, from before the brand was acquired from Microsoft. A phone designed in Salo, Finland rather than, say, Cupertino, California.

I posed the question 'what cell phone should I get' just in general terms. As it turns out, I'll probably ski with two phones. My new one for communication and my old one to use just as a phone. That has multiple benefits. The old phone is easy to use for photos as it has voice control. Just say 'capture' or 'smile' when it is in camera mode and it takes a picture. Good for selfies and one handed photos, like over your shoulder on the lift. If I drop the camera, I won't be out my new business phone and my communications device. Separate devices means separate batteries and the camera will last a real long time without the radios on. There are other benefits I'm forgetting. Oh the camera has a headphone jack and all my music so it is my travel music player, again leaving my comm device just for comm and allowing its extraordinary long battery life (compared to the old phone) to last even longer.

FWIW, I keep my electronics in inside pockets when skiing so temperature isn't as big a deal.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
FWIW, I keep my electronics in inside pockets when skiing so temperature isn't as big a deal.

:) for sure, a must. And, yes, the two device solution is great!

I was so so frustrated recently when I tried using the iPhone for some heavier duty photography requiring that the phone be kept out and shooting. Lost so many shot opportunities. Warming it up helped. But, it quickly crashed again. Take a couple shots, crash, warm up in pocket, reboot, open camera app, take a couple more shots... Left my Nokia behind to reduce weight since there was no cell service. Aargh! Ski n learn.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is time to revisit this thread. My Moto One 5G UW's camera (regular format) has gotten a defect in the sensor. While a refresh would probably work, I think that it is time for a new phone.

What is the hot phone these days with a very nice camera? I'm looking in the $500 - $600 range.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Google Pixel 6. I purchased it directly from Google, but there are plenty of other vendors. I bought it unlocked. It works well as a phone and runs apps really well. It takes excellent photos. It has great/ interesting editing. Magic eraser is a neat feature if you don't use other editing software. Here's a few pictures.
IMG_20230208_165351.jpg
PXL_20230703_174804892.jpg
PXL_20230619_022058882.jpg
IMG_20220316_185158~2.jpg
PXL_20230206_210154917.jpg
PXL_20230415_005956951.jpg
PXL_20230704_153059432.jpg
IMG_20220316_185158.jpg
PXL_20230704_231717688.jpg
PXL_20230619_002846532.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm happily using my second Pixel, first a Pixel 2 and now a 5a. I'm considering switching to an iPhone specifically for the satellite SOS feature.

I don't own a Garmin Inreach. It sounds like iPhone SOS isn't a full replacement, but better than not having anything, and it doesn't require another subscription:

The iPhone 15 should be out in September, so hopefully, the iPhone 14 price will come down a bit. @Doug Briggs, given where you live, and your lifestyle, an iPhone with SOS is worth consideration if you don't have an inReach.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think all cameras are pretty good these days on anything above bottom of the range phones. I've blown up 4ft canvasses from pics on my old Samsung. Currently have an S22 for work which I doubt is worth the price upgrade on the previous A31. Personally phone remains an Xiaomi which are astonishing value for money compared to the "brand" phones but I dunno whether China issues mean they are available in the US.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is time to revisit this thread. My Moto One 5G UW's camera (regular format) has gotten a defect in the sensor. While a refresh would probably work, I think that it is time for a new phone.

What is the hot phone these days with a very nice camera? I'm looking in the $500 - $600 range.
So, you're looking for a good camera with a phone app ;)

@Philpug's iPhone 14 has an incredible camera. I think that @Andy Mink's got a google phone of some kind which takes amazing pictures.
As with most cameras in these hand held devices, it depends on the setting you have set up in the camera app.

I'll likely upgrade my iPhone 12 to a 15 when it becomes available.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just picked up a used, mint condition, S22 from swappa . Great price. Its an upgrade from my Galaxy s8 which is going to stop receiving security updates soon/some apps.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

I don't think it's a 'China' issue so much as a 'not partnered with a US market carrier' issue.

Can't you just buy a phone outright and subscrbe to a SIM/virtual SIM carrier deal? Regardless just checked the Xiaomi US site and while they'll sell you everything from a e scooter to an air purifer to earbuds to precision screwdrivers they don't seem to have phones on there. So maybe a legacy from Trump's war on Huawei?

Sponsor