• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are you doing this summer to prepare for winter?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So hoping to continue a discussion from epic of what everyone does to prepare for the season.

IMHO, we can all benefit from summer activities and fitness programs that build aerobic fitness, strength, flexibility, explosiveness, etc..., but the most important things are these two: do something you like, and doing anything is better than doing nothing at all.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Bought a little bit of gear and a lot of ski clothes, gloves, etc..

I've been walking 1-2 miles per day up and down hills. Mrs crgildart has decided to join in the walks too <3

Signed up to coach my kids U15 soccer team September-November. That will involve demonstrating drills and reffing scrimmages, some play too when there is an odd number of kids at practice. I should be in decent shape by the time the snow blows..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Walking the dog. I am not riding as much as I should. Much of my time is sitting in front of a computer monitor. I will say, my fingers are in the best shape they have been in years.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stair runs once a week. Lots of core and balance exercises.
I still lift (lunges, squats and power cleans) and do a bunch of pull ups.

Luckily I have a junior racer in my house so we also do a bunch of footwork and plyometric activities together. Not unlike what is typical for dry land for most WC skiers, just to a lesser intensity due to her age.

My daughter can't wait until the snow falls, I however as a golfer am ok waiting until November to strap on the skis.

Not fitness related, always eyeing up new skis and gear. Picked up a new jacket/pant combo. Not that I needed them, but hey why not!

Still looking for a good boot bag for all my race gear and perhaps some new padded gloves. (Conceptually have a difficult time dropping the $$$ for single purpose gloves for masters racing however.....)

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I have been trying to work out several times a week, running on days when it's not as hot and stand up paddle boarding on weekends. I am trying to strengthen my core, lose a little bit of weight and be stronger and fitter overall, nor just to prepare for skiing, but for overall well being. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
[Jerry Seinfeld whinny voice] And @markojp, what is with the * in the title? :huh: [/Jerry Seinfeld whinny voice]

If it was a typo, I will get rid of it. ;)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Bought a house so that I could build a ski and bike shop in the backyard.

Oh, and skiing.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been running and cycling all summer but now am injured (plantar fasciitis) and restricted from cycling (laser vision correction surgery tomorrow) so I've taken up yoga in the last week and actually beginning to enjoy it which is a first. Once I can run and cycle again they'll come back in and my ploy metrics class starts in November.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
[Jerry Seinfeld whinny voice] And @markojp, what is with the * in the title? :huh: [/Jerry Seinfeld whinny voice]

If it was a typo, I will get rid of it. ;)

Typo... do with it what you please. :)

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I've been running and cycling all summer but now am injured (plantar fasciitis) and restricted from cycling (laser vision correction surgery tomorrow) so I've taken up yoga in the last week and actually beginning to enjoy it which is a first. Once I can run and cycle again they'll come back in and my ploy metrics class starts in November.

Sounds fun and a nice change of pace. I've been riding a lot this summer rehabing from a knee injury. The past few days it's felt great. Once in awhile, it feels a bit out of sorts, and then ok again... Taking more work back into the gym now as things have gotten stronger.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Clearing and glading ski runs with chainsaws. Training for lift evacuations. Rehabbing medical supply and rescue kits. Painting trail signs and various shacks. Etc. ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Trying to change the way I eat and get back on track with what goes in my body.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Trying to change the way I eat and get back on track with what goes in my body.

But riding the bike too, no?

Just curious, but can anyone here who's recently (the past season or two) commited to making large changes in diet and exrcise for the better comment specifically on how they felt it effected their skiing?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But riding the bike too, no?

Just curious, but can anyone here who's recently (the past season or two) commited to making large changes in diet and exrcise for the better comment specifically on how they felt it effected their skiing?

I can but don't feel up to writing a long post so I'll comment more later.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can but don't feel up to writing a long post so I'll comment more later.
Report later how the surgery go? I know when I had mine, I had to keep my eyes closed most of the day.

Sponsor

Staff online