• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Western US could lose up to 60% of the annual snowpack in the next 30 years

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mankind may only get a micrometer, but it's my picometre that concerns me most.
The thing about global warming that's concerning is not that it's getting warmer (on average across the globe); it's the rate of increase that's concerning.

Thanks for the dose of reality. There are plenty of cherry-picked facts hyped by climate change deniers but the bulk of evidence and the observed physical state of our atmosphere and ice continues to show we're on a dangerous path.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you went to 100 experts for an opinion on a medical condition, and 97 of them told you what you didn’t want to hear, but 3 told you what you wanted to hear because it would be less painful and inconvenient, would you dismiss the 97? :huh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lets make sure this stays on the "How it relates to skiing" track.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a fascinating documentary with Woody Harrelson narrating that goes into detail about regenerative farming and the amazing immediate impacts it would have on the climate. Farmers could actually be profitable without subsidies. @Quandary you are correct—follow the money.

As to changing weather patterns: I’m not sure how much longer Utah can use the marketing slogan “the greatest snow on earth”. We get a lot of wet, heavy snow here, and very few blower days. My husband grew up here and says he used to ski blower powder at least once a week even as recently as a decade ago. (He was a full-time instructor for nearly 30 years.) Now, we’re lucky to get one blower day a season.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a fascinating documentary with Woody Harrelson narrating that goes into detail about regenerative farming and the amazing immediate impacts it would have on the climate. Farmers could actually be profitable without subsidies. @Quandary you are correct—follow the money.

As to changing weather patterns: I’m not sure how much longer Utah can use the marketing slogan “the greatest snow on earth”. We get a lot of wet, heavy snow here, and very few blower days. My husband grew up here and says he used to ski blower powder at least once a week even as recently as a decade ago. (He was a full-time instructor for nearly 30 years.) Now, we’re lucky to get one blower day a season.
It’s called Kiss the Ground; it’s streaming on Netflix. If you don’t have Netflix it’s available on Vimeo.

Relevance to skiing: there are things we can do that increase the odds of being able to ski in the future, and the inconveniences turn out to be not so costly or inconvenient. And as I like skiing, I’m willing to reconsider my actions and purchasing decisions.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Sierra have done well for the last 130 years. It will take a major shift reach a decline anywhere near the doomsday scenarios. Would be good to see this updated.

"For those regions characterized by consistent monitoring and with the most robust statistical reproducibility, we find no statistically significant trends in their periods-of-record (up to 133 years) nor in the most recent 50 years. This result encompasses the main snowfall region of the western slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Journal of Hydrometeorology 2012 ; e-View
doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-11-040.1"

christy sierra snow.JPG

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s called Kiss the Ground; it’s streaming on Netflix. If you don’t have Netflix it’s available on Vimeo.

Relevance to skiing: there are things we can do that increase the odds of being able to ski in the future, and the inconveniences turn out to be not so costly or inconvenient. And as I like skiing, I’m willing to reconsider my actions and purchasing decisions.
That’s it, yes! I found it fascinating and it made me hopeful, but how do we get all the farmers to change? I have my ideas (we already pay them billions in subsidies) that would involve incentives followed by eliminating subsidies over time as they begin to become profitable on their own, without subsidies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
On a positive note some places are due to get more snow as the globe's average temperature increases (whether that snow will melt faster is another question).

This. warm air carries more moisture to dump more snow when it hits cold air. It will get better before it gets worse. It's getting better PNW, sierras, and all but the farthest southern parts of the rockies. It will be a long time before those places get to the point that the southern mid atlantic has been like the past decade.. Yes we still get snow, but it melts or gets washed away by rain more quickly than it used to..

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I am confused. Are we talking about skiing?
This thread seems to be about farming, or perhaps pollution form China, India and Africa, worldwide poverty, one sided politics and how to interpret a study based on what side of that political spectrum you are on.
I'm not even convinced this thread has much to do about snow after 10 pages.
Let's talk about snowpack and skiing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After a post report, I have deleted a few posts that didn't contain any content as it relates to skiing.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Found an update. Judging by the temperatures a lot of places will have less snow on the ground. This graph also tells me that the line nearer the pole where the air is too dry for a lot of snow is going to move south, and areas that used to be south of the snowy area will get more snow falling. Also it seems with warmer temperatures and more open water in the great lakes, lake effect snow belt areas should see more snow.
1612314748527.png

source: https://www.co2.earth/global-warming-update

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think as humans we think we can control everything. The reality is - the earth is going to cool and warm. Our own prehistoric past demonstrates this. The small microscopic time that advanced humans have been around is so tiny relatively speaking and what has transpired over the past 100 years is totally being over analyzed, chewed up and spit out as evidence.

Since I have moved to Colorado, I have been fascinated by the geological story. Colorado was once under water which is evident because of the sheer amount of limestone and shell fossils. It was then more tropical also visible due to the floral/tropical plants that have been fossilized. Later it was covered with redwood forest as well as Arizona and there are petrified forests and tree stumps and well as very dark rock layers and then became very dry. There was also a very volcanic history prior to uplifting which changed the dynamics of this state in a big way. Once the mountains were formed glaciers were present for a long time and even shaped the mountains we see today - guess what those glaciers did not disappear recently. They disappeared before the Native Americans had even settled here. Here is an animation of Colorado's Geographic Past:

So today, we sit here and debate how we can control warming? Well we have been warming before our time. The earth will also cool again.

loehle_fig3.JPG

Our lands are dynamic and ever growing where volcanic activity is present. New islands are being produced as we type. Other areas, shore lines and river banks are eroding - look at the Grand Canyon - that is normal. We built cities on top of areas where water once was - Boston is a perfect example. Continental Drifting is still happening with North and South America being pushed west ward and colliding with the Pacific plate. So how do we approach this as humans? We build walls to hold back oceans and to prevent erosion, we fill in erosion ditches as they develop, we bolt together cliffs so they will not tumble and cast nets over them as well. Where rivers meander, we build channels to control flow. We build structures to with stand the strongest of earthquakes. With our global economy, we have introduce insect species to different parts of the world that are now killing our trees, fish, choking our lakes - what do we do - genetically modify plants and introduce other species that may have adverse effects we just do not know yet. We now consumer more water than is being returned. Under ground lakes are being drained and then along the coast salt water for the oceans are filling them in. In some case sinkholes develop. The list can go on!

Will things change? Yes! Will we adapt - sure we will. I think the world over seems to think the Earth will remain as we see it and it will not - give it another million years.

BTW - I cannot stand celebrities that express concern for the environment yet they are in movies or hold concerts that require people to drive all over to them. They also have large homes, drive multiple vehicles, some have private jets etc. Their carbon foot print is huge. Vail wants to have a zero carbon foot print but they need people to fly and drive to their resorts and the gear that is needed has plastics, and fiberglass. We as individuals have relatively small carbon foot prints.

Sorry about the rants!

Thanks for the video - mankind is not even a blip in time.

Sponsor

Staff online