• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Western Ski Resorts with long Green/Blue-Green/Blue runs

Clay49

Booting up
Skier
I've been doing some research online, as well as trying to comb through threads here, so as not to ask for info that is so readily available (that being said, feel free to drop in links to threads here that might be helpful for me to read).

My wife and I take a ski excursion every couple of years (we live down south, so snow is an every-three-years experience, and then, only an inch or two usually). We have been to Winter Park twice and Squaw Valley (Palisades) in Tahoe, 3 times. I don't really count skiing in Gatlinburg, TN (2 times), as it really has only a handful of short slopes and almost always man-made snow.

We're looking for a mountain that has nice long greens and blue-greens (and me, long, not-so-steep blues). I would consider Winterpark again, but there is absolutely nothing else but skiing, and the greens are quite limited. We're not looking for night life, but we would like access to great dining, slope-side lodging and other things besides the skiing (mainly my wife, she'll ski a portion of the day, then she'd head off to Tahoe City or shop at Olympic village while I finished out the day). We would also like something that has pretty quick access from the airport (i.e., not driving two hours from the airport to get there). We'll probably shoot for a mid-January or very early February trip, leaving Birmingham on a Sunday, returning on a Friday, so we'll not be in the weekend rush of locals.

From my web surfing and reading here, these have surfaced as most mentioned options: Snowmass, Steamboat, Beaver Creek, Big Sky, Telluride, Copper Mtn and Breckenridge.

I've heard that Snowmass has a great shuttle/bus system, so there's really no need for a rental car, which would be nice (save a few $$). As far as cost goes, we're not looking to be outlandishly extravagant, as a ski trip, in general, is expensive any way you slice it, especially when looking for the combination of boxes to tick on our wish list.

Sell me on which would your first choice from my list above!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From my web surfing and reading here, these have surfaced as most mentioned options: Snowmass, Steamboat, Beaver Creek, Big Sky, Telluride, Copper Mtn and Breckenridge.

I've heard that Snowmass has a great shuttle/bus system, so there's really no need for a rental car, which would be nice (save a few $$). As far as cost goes, we're not looking to be outlandishly extravagant, as a ski trip, in general, is expensive any way you slice it, especially when looking for the combination of boxes to tick on our wish list.
Unfortunately every one of those on you list are expensive. With that said, Snowmass and Big Sky are my top two for what you are looking for.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah I'd say no to Telluride. They have blues but not really great frankly. The greens are also not... Great... I love the place but not for that probably.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Breck gives the option to lateral to Copper or Keystone. Or, if you do have a rental car, to the other resorts including Beaver Creek and Vail proper. Unfortunately you are not advantaged in money saving, nor in airport access.

Be aware that, skiing blues and greens, you are NOT in a crush of locals. You will be in a crush of other destination trippers, including from outside the US. Avoiding weekends is almost no help at all.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree with Phil's recommendation of Snowmass and Big Sky. Breckenridge is a great option also.

I would add Northstar, Powder Mountain, and Park City as other potential options.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, Copper might not check all of your boxes. Yes you would probably love the skiing experience. It has some great blues and greens. I'm not sure it will meet your dinning or other village expectations. The new mid mountain Aerie restaurant will be open and that should be good. Another restaurant is opening in Center Village this season. As in another (3rd) Italian eatery. I guess a good thing about Copper is that it is pretty much in the middle between Breck and Vail. You could make excursions to both locations but then you need a rental. Breck would be a good option if you plan now. They had some good lodging discounts going. Check out Peak 7. Very mellow blues. Town right there. Steamboat is also a good option but I would want a rental car there.

From your list though, hard to overlook Snowmass.

TS
Clay49

Clay49

Booting up
Skier
Unfortunately every one of those on you list are expensive. With that said, Snowmass and Big Sky are my top two for what you are looking for.
I would imagine it’s probably not any more so than Palisades, at Lake Tahoe, right???

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would imagine it’s probably not any more so than Palisades, at Lake Tahoe, right???
But Tahoe does not have those looong groomers you get at the other resorts

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess what I’m saying is that the Colorado resorts are not going be any more expensive than what I’m used to paying at Tahoe
Depends where you are staying. About the same-ish.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote here for Snowmass. My experience is that the green and blue runs are less crowded than at Big Sky. Also there are more shopping and dining options at Snowmass if you consider the shuttle to Aspen. I’ve never skied there, but you could venture to Buttermilk, known for tamer terrain, if you want to “explore.”

TS
Clay49

Clay49

Booting up
Skier
Depends where you are staying. About the same-Is
Depends where you are staying. About the same-ish.
thank you for the clarification… We’ve done Tahoe three times over the last five years, so if it’s not any more than that, I’ll just narrow down this list and not worry about the price so much. We can just focus on finding the one that ticks most of the boxes for us. I appreciate your patience!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
How about Keystone? Got the runs, a new chair, a village, and all kinds of places down the road to keep your credit card company happy.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Telluride's got fantastic long green and easy-blue cruisers with amazing views, all through the western portion of the ski area. But it's 2 hours each way from the airport, so sounds like it's off your list. I'd say fly to Vail and ski Beaver Creek, or splurge a little more and fly to Aspen to ski Snowmass and Buttermilk.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been to every place you listed except Telluride. The slope-side lodging will significantly drive up the price everywhere. Palisades (aka Squaw) can be more on the reasonable end compared to some places. I'd think Copper/Breck < Steamboat/Snowmass << BC/Big Sky. Here's what I'd say about each:
  • Snowmass (I've been here several times)
    • Wonderful long cruising runs that are mostly blues. Not a lot of green terrain, but some blues are gentler.
    • You could also go over to Buttermilk for a lot of nice easy terrain mixed with some moderate blues and easy blacks.
    • Medium priced slope-side, or nearly slope-side, lodging options (compared to Vail/BC)
    • The Snowmass mall and base area have a variety of restaurants and a little shopping - but you're a short bus ride from the town itself which I love. (Aspen area is my favorite destination, personally.)
  • Steamboat (One week-long trip)
    • A nice mix of terrain, but mostly blues... not as good for greens - probably more like Winter Park
    • Slope-side lodging in the mid-range
    • OK village, but the town has a lot more
  • Beaver Creek (I've been here several times)
    • Lots of good gentle terrain there, much of it high on the mountain with wonderful views
    • Expensive slope-side lodging
    • Very nice (pricey) village, with the town of Avon not far away - the town has lots of shopping and restaurants, but the village has a lot of good places too
  • Big Sky (One week-long trip)
    • Great long runs... nice gentle areas off of the back of Andesite and some parts of the Moonlight side
    • Expensive slope-side lodging
    • Not much of a village even going down to the meadows area - though it's been a few years and they've been expanding. I'd probably put this at the bottom for shopping/dining options
  • Telluride (Never been)
    • Don't know much but it has a wonderful rep, and I've heard it has great beginner terrain. I'm not sure what @scott43 didn't like about it... @Lofcaudio would say otherwise
  • Copper Mtn (I've been here several times)
    • Great terrain well divided/segregated so you get nice areas of lots of green/gentle runs, including some up high
    • "Slopeside" doesn't really exist but much of the village is a short walk to lifts
    • OK village with not a whole lot of shopping or good restaurants compared to some others
    • Frisco/Silverthorne/Dillon are a short drive away for a lot more shopping/restaurants
  • Breckenridge (One several day trip - going back this season)
    • Very nice terrain and variety of long gentle runs though a little more toward blues
    • Slope-side (and/or close to it) is pretty plentiful and relatively reasonable
    • Some OK places for eating/shopping actually up on mountain, but the whole nice town is pretty much right there at the base
Given your requirements, and my preferences, Beaver Creek is the winner if you can swing the cost; Breckenridge for a little more affordability; Copper for the most affordable. (I might put Snowmass first if you're OK with heading to Buttermilk if you want gentler terrain.)

EDIT to add: As far as crowds, mid-week is a great idea and will help at all of these places. That said, I'd guess Snowmass will be least crowded, followed by Beaver Creek, Big Sky, Steamboat, Copper, and Breck in that order. Telluride is probably on the less crowded end.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowmass.
Steamboat.
@dbostedo likes Beaver Creek and he might know something there…but it’s EXPENSIVE

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
  • Telluride (Never been)
    • Don't know much but it has a wonderful rep, and I've heard it has great beginner terrain. I'm not sure what @scott43 didn't like about it... @Lofcaudio would say otherwise
So I guess I should explain.. @New2 jogged my memory about the west lift. I had not considered that when I thought of Telluride. I recalled mostly the blues in the middle and I considered most of them pretty easy and not terrific skiing. Shortish but not terrible. The stuff on the west side as I recall ran mostly through the condo and house areas. I felt the greens there were almost too green. I found myself skating a fair bit. But putting on a beginner hat, I could see that being a nice quiet area and the runs were decent length.

Don't get me wrong I love Telluride. My favourite place so far. No crowds, beautiful scenery. It's worth the trouble to get there. I just figured some place like Snowmass would have longer better greens and blues. I feel like Telluride is pretty advanced skiing with some access runs thrown in.

Sponsor

Staff online