• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Washington Commanders football team

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the Commanders will have a huge challenge getting their relevance back to what it was when I was a kid growing up in the DC suburbs, both for local DC area fans and the larger nationwide fanbase. I personally think that just simply having a new owner and a higher quality product on the field will not be enough to bring back local DC area fans. As a no-longer local former fan, I would rather watch baseball.
You could be right. We'll see. If there is one thing that breeds relevance and loyalty - it is winning :)
The demographics of the DC area have always been weird because of so many transients. During the ten years Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith played together on the Cowboys, it seemed like Washington was second only to Dallas for the number of Cowboys fans.

But for the most part the fans of the winning RFK/Jack Kent Cooke era were much more loyal than the losing Fedex/Snyder era. If the new owners can bring that kind of civic unity back in the nasty partisanship of today's society, it would be a fun miracle to behold.

About civic unity, the day I went to training camp this summer I had a nice encounter with two black fans after practice. I believe they were an adult son and his elderly father. The older man was wearing a Larry Brown jersey (great Washington running back '67-76 and NFL MVP in '72). I gave the man a lot of love for his jersey (rare these days) and we all laughed about the good old days and how we hoped Washington would return to greatness.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Remember why Washington renamed to Commanders? To appease the SJW's that found Redskins name to be offensive?

Well, Native American Guardians Association threatened them to change it back to Redskins, or they will encourage a boycott of the organization.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember why Washington renamed to Commanders? To appease the SJW's that found Redskins name to be offensive?

Well, Native American Guardians Association threatened them to change it back to Redskins, or they will encourage a boycott of the organization.

The new name while horrible has a better alignment to DC culture. But the name hardly rates in terms of the team's problems.

Sponsor

Staff online