• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Things to do in Cheyenne WY?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The Outback came to a hard stop on I-80 about 8 miles east of Cheyenne WY - looks like a broken CV joint or worse. We lucked out with a quick tow to the dealership and was there just in time to arrange a loaner / rental so we have wheels for the weekend. Of course the service department is out until Monday morning so who knows how long this will take. We were due to arrive in Whitefish MT on Sunday but I likely won't get the car back until Wednesday. We're kinda stuck here...

Anything I should look into other than skiing?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Downtown Fort Collins 45 minutes away is supposed to be quite nice for dining and strolling.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m about 30 minutes south of Cheyenne. You’re about 90 minutes or less east of Snowy Range Ski Area If you really want to scratch your skiing itch. Tickets are reasonable, and it’s a nice area for a day.

In Cheyenne, the depot area downtown is neat enough. There are a few nice breweries in town. A couple decent places to eat downtown as well. Cheyenne is home to Sierra Trading Post, so there is a largish store on the eastern edge of town. Dell Range Road is where most of the shopping, chain stores/restaurants and general hubbub is located.

Fort Collins is about an hour or less south if you miss traffic and congestion. Lots to see and do in Old Town Fort Collins. Way better food scene than Cheyenne and more going on in general.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
So glad you guys are okay and it was still light out. Also that you were so close to civilization and a Subaru dealer when it happened.

If you replace your car :ogbiggrin: because it's faster to buy a new one tomorrow than wait until Monday for the repair, get the blue Touring one.:beercheer: You might make your lesson.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So glad you guys are okay and it was still light out. Also that you were so close to civilization and a Subaru dealer when it happened.

If you replace your car :ogbiggrin: because it's faster to buy a new one tomorrow than wait until Monday for the repair, get the blue Touring one.:beercheer: You might make your lesson.
I like the way you think! :)

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've got a 2013 with 125k miles... Front or back CV?
The right front wheel is locked up tight. We were cruising at 75mph when a loud bang occurred, it sounded like I had run over something so I started to pull over. The wheel locked up 2 or 3 times intermittently but was rolling enough for me to still have steering. As I came to a halt it locked up hard. The car had some new noises that I had checked out before I left St Pete - my mechanic didn't find anything and I assumed it was just long term wear on some suspension parts. I'm curious to find out on Monday if they are related at all to my current situation.

Other than being somewhat under powered when it's loaded with ski gear and going up the hill, I've been quite happy with it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The right front wheel is locked up tight. We were cruising at 75mph when a loud bang occurred, it sounded like I had run over something so I started to pull over. The wheel locked up 2 or 3 times intermittently but was rolling enough for me to still have steering. As I came to a halt it locked up hard. The car had some new noises that I had checked out before I left St Pete - my mechanic didn't find anything and I assumed it was just long term wear on some suspension parts. I'm curious to find out on Monday if they are related at all to my current situation.

Other than being somewhat under powered when it's loaded with ski gear and going up the hill, I've been quite happy with it.

Heavy load puts lots of strain on the wheel bearings.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is that Abe Lincoln Monument rest stop/visitor center on the mtn off I80 just east of Laramie. Could explore scenic hiking trails up there if it's not too cold and snowy up there right now? I wondered why a Lincoln monument way out in WY. Turns out it was placed in WY back in the 1950s to mark the highest point of the old coast to coast Lincoln Highway, then moved a few years later to the prominent spot on new I80.

I've got a 2014 Outback with about 138k and plan to drive it past Laramie in a couple of weeks on the way to Steamboat and points west.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Heavy load puts lots of load on the wheel bearings.
Yeah he mentioned CV. Typically they make a clicking noise when doing sharp turns as they wear. Possibly it broke a ball and it's jamming. Wheel bearings typically hum on the highway but with winter tires can be hard to hear. Either way it's a crappy repair.. :(

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Depot Railway Museum is good, and there is a brewery on the East end of the building.
The State history museum is also good, up towards the Capital.
As noted the downtown Depot area in general is interesting too.
Many pawn shops in that city, if repairs take too long.

Tie down anything light or loose, it will end up in Nebraska.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah he mentioned CV. Typically they make a clicking noise when doing sharp turns as they wear. Possibly it broke a ball and it's jamming. Wheel bearings typically hum on the highway but with winter tires can be hard to hear. Either way it's a crappy repair.. :(

A bad bearing will mess with the CV. I consider both as wearable parts. I usually replace the wheel bearings and half shafts at 100K along with all wearable suspension components. Ball joints, links and bushing all fall under that list. The condition of the CV affects handling of the vehicle greatly. NYC is rough on suspensions.

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Heavy load puts lots of strain on the wheel bearings.
I'm glad you mentioned that, we've replaced both rear bearings - I'd have to look up whether the fronts were done too. That would account for the intermittent binding / not binding nature of the failure. Could be wheel bearings and not CV axle assembly which would be an easier pill to swallow. Wheel bearings will usually tell you they're unhappy well before their failure point though - I didn't hear anything going on and the car was running great. I'm pretty tuned in to every and any noise a car makes.

We'll know Monday.

Last edited:
TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
There is that Abe Lincoln Monument rest stop/visitor center on the mtn off I80 just east of Laramie. Could explore scenic hiking trails up there if it's not too cold and snowy up there right now? I wondered why a Lincoln monument way out in WY. Turns out it was placed in WY back in the 1950s to mark the highest point of the old coast to coast Lincoln Highway, then moved a few years later to the prominent spot on new I80.

I've got a 2014 Outback with about 138k and plan to drive it past Laramie in a couple of weeks on the way to Steamboat and points west.
Well if you happen to suffer the same misfortune any where near Cheyenne, call Ken Plum at ABC towing. He was there in 10 minutes and got us to the Subaru dealership right before 5 PM. He even offered to take us to our hotel which we had planned to stay in. The folks at Halladay Subaru were also great, they stayed late on a Friday getting us a rental from their fleet and now we have wheels for the weekend.

Sponsor

Staff online