• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "I need to brag about a gear purchase" thread--Cycling version

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean…

IMG_1072.jpeg

Look what the cat just dragged in.

Wonder what might be inside….

IMG_1073.jpeg

Turns out it is this beauty right here…:ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Now I only need a new groupset and the list of changes to my bike for this year will be complete.

We”ll see about new wheels.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Them Time frames are pretty well made. Nice job!

Does Time still make their own carbon fiber sheets/tubes/whatever?

I know they used to do that, and it put them in a pretty small club.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Time still make their own carbon fiber sheets/tubes/whatever?

I know they used to do that, and it put them in a pretty small club.

Yes, they made them in France in the past then when the new owners took over they moved all the machinery to Slovakia where they are presently made.
I have been a sucker for their carbon weaving process forever and dreamed about a Fluidity since basically they went extinct.
Fluidity is still not available so I went for the next best thing-the ADH.

Also, I wanted to buy an EU made frame before they moved the production to US. Not that I do not trust Americans but yeah….you know….Boeing and all… :roflmao: :roflmao:

Plus I fear they will go all fat and soft like a certain ski company that shall remain unnamed :roflmao:

Here:

The goal is to transform Time’s proven, albeit manual RTM technology into a high-pressure RTM (HP-RTM) process with a high degree of automation

This bit here worries me.

We are combining efficiency and price appeal with a product that historically has been handmade. For us, it is a wonderful endeavor to industrialize and automate this process without compromising Time’s commitment to quality.”

I don’t buy any of that BS.

Perhaps I should buy a couple more frames…

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the move to try and "fix what ain't broke," so to speak.

I'm betting that Hambini is watching these changes very closely. He's a big fan of Time and anything that changes their formula is sure to raise red flags with him.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure it's that simple. If something is too expensive people don't buy it. Could be a survival story..

1710870245193.jpeg

Tarmac SL 8 frameset: 3500 eur and 5500 EUR SWorks
Roubaix SWorks frameset: EUR 5500

Emonda SLR: 4300-5300 EUR

Look Blade: EUR 5400

I mean it is not like Time totally priced themselves out of the market at 3200-4000 EUR per frame.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
View attachment 230265

Tarmac SL 8 frameset: 3500 eur and 5500 EUR SWorks
Roubaix SWorks frameset: EUR 5500

Emonda SLR: 4300-5300 EUR

Look Blade: EUR 5400

I mean it is not like Time totally priced themselves out of the market at 3200-4000 EUR per frame.

That is the list prices now. In an industry where everyone is waiting for the price collapse shoe to really drop.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is the list prices now. In an industry where everyone is waiting for the price collapse shoe to really drop.

Yea, that’s a good point. I have been waiting for SWorks prices to drop since….well quite some time now…

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The cost of manufacture for those other frames is not apparent to me. Do you know where they're made?

Of course. Everyone knows. We also have a pretty good idea about the manufacturing cost per frame.
I get your point and you are probably right that Time’s margins are most probably slimmer than those of Spesh and the others but they run the risk of becoming just one among many others and lose their appeal of “best frames in existence” which their manufacturing process gives them.

Hopefully not but we’ll see.

Sponsor

Staff online