• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggestions on warmest insulated midlayer jacket

mjl

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi - I'm looking for suggestions on the warmest insulated midlayer jacket. I ski in the NE and its not uncommon for me to be out in single digit or even negative fahrenheit with heavy winds bringing the wind chill down even lower. I've usually a shell and Arc'teryx atom jacket for the typical double digit cold days but definitely feel like I need something warmer when it gets real cold out - even when I wear marino base, fleece, atom and shell. I'm not super concerned about weight or breathability as this will be for more resort skiing. I'm opting against a standard insulated jacket as I already own a shell and would love the versatility. Thanks!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The good news is if you are currently in the Arc shell and and Atom combo, there are much room for improvement.
I have couple of Atom jackets. I find the Atom lacking in warmth. Good for knocking around but not when I am out on the hill all day. Arc's Cerium AR is a much warmer mid layer jacket than the Atom. Much more comfortable layering under a shell or another puffy than the Atom.

I am out west for the season once January rolls around. Still ski SVT in Dec. When it gets cold, I ditch the shell and go for a Bogner or a KJus insulated jacket as the outer layer. Arc Cerium LT as the mid layer. Don't feel a thing with that combo.

Hands down, Bogner makes some of the warmest jackets out there.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Atom AR is significantly warmer than the LT. I’ve used it down to -20F with a shell and have been fine.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree....... ditch the shell. Great for skiing the west but for east coast damp frigid temps a no go unless you have the circulation of a 15 yr old.

for -10F and below I'm in my Klim jckt (pic below). No joke, only wear a thin base layer under that jckt down to -35 F. The second pic is my warm weather Blue Klim. The entire jckt is Cordura so no rips, tears or damage in the trees, no matter how hard I try. Wifey loves her Klim Allure (hates being cold but can ski breakfast to lunch in her Klim @ -20 F) ... not in the pic. Her jckt in the pic is Kari Traa (as per Wifey - for super warm weather only) :beercheer:

Attachments

• IMG_9214.JPG
    IMG_9214.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20210404_155607399~2.jpg
    PXL_20210404_155607399~2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As much as layering is great, I agree with members who've suggested that you have a water proof insulated piece for east coast frigid days.
I thoroughly love my OR down puffy.
The one I have is the Women's Snowcrew Down Jacket.
They have a great collection.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All shell all the time. Mine is XL and a bit loose so I just throw on extra layers underneath depending on how cold it is. Fleece vest is a great one to add under my down puffy. Brands don't matter so much for me as long as the quality is OK.

Good mittens and a balaclava are essentials on these cold AF VT days.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with the insulated jacket approach for cold eastern resort days. I wore a shell exclusively for years, and still do above 20* or so, but below that, I find I’m able to stay warmer easier with an insulated jacket. I bought a Black Crows jacket with Polartec Alpha Direct and really like it for fit, features, warmth and style. On really cold days I’ll still wear an insulated mid layer underneath (like a Patagonia Nano Air for example), but I find the insulated jacket and fewer layers is less bulky on those days.

Skiing in the Rockies is completely different in terms of climate and I almost always layer underneath a shell when I’m skiing there.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
like a Patagonia Nano Air for example), but I find the insulated jacket and fewer layers is less bulky on those days.
+1 on Patagonia. When I use a shell in warmer weather, I use my Patagonia Nano Puff jckt! Got it on "vibrant color" clearance. Genl @ $171 on B/C.com website right now. Wifey & I got ours for ~ $120 ea.

First pic is Wifey in her Klim Allure jckt & pants. No obnoxious logos on some of their gear. She's TOASTY! Me testing out an insulated Maloja jckt. Warm but a little small in a LG size. I needed an XL.

Last but not least for the Ladies (esp Mom's -built in knee pads for easy lodge child assists) put these Women's DSG Ice Bibs under anything and ladies you WILL be WARM in any weather! Shell? No problem in these........Wifey swears by these and her new FAV pants! No crazy tight Euro fit. Fits her hips, on the fly inseam adj to any height, and she can wear her lighter 686 jckt in super cold weather now. She LOVES her DSG bibs! Completely unzip sides in the lodge so no over heating and waterproof/bulletproof + seat zip for easy access to the "Can". Happy Wife.....Yup! :beercheer:

Attachments

• 2019-06-16 (1).png
    2019-06-16 (1).png
    439.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 2019-06-16.png
    2019-06-16.png
    467.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230209_105924.jpg
    20230209_105924.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I often put a puffy jacket (1 size up) over the shell when I am stopping for a few minutes. Much easier to add/subtract insulation with layers this way.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m an Eastern skier. I switched to a shell a few years ago after using an insulated jacket for decades, and don’t think I’ll go back. I like the versatility and flexibility better, even if it ends up costing more with different options for midlayers. As a caveat, I run hot. Above 10F you’ll usually catch me unzipping my shell and taking my gloves off in the lift line. Good baselayers are also key. Don’t skimp there and you’ll be much happier.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The good news is if you are currently in the Arc shell and and Atom combo, there are much room for improvement.
I have couple of Atom jackets. I find the Atom lacking in warmth. Good for knocking around but not when I am out on the hill all day. Arc's Cerium AR is a much warmer mid layer jacket than the Atom. Much more comfortable layering under a shell or another puffy than the Atom.

I am out west for the season once January rolls around. Still ski SVT in Dec. When it gets cold, I ditch the shell and go for a Bogner or a KJus insulated jacket as the outer layer. Arc Cerium LT as the mid layer. Don't feel a thing with that combo.

Hands down, Bogner makes some of the warmest jackets out there.

Another vote for Cerium. Love them.

James

Out There
Instructor
Only thing better than an insulated jacket for very cold Eastern days is insulated pants. You’re sitting on the lift as long or longer than the run down.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier

Ryan Perham

Putting on skis
Skier
If you want warmth, you want down. Doesn't matter if it's in an insulated ski jacket or as a layer under a shell. Make sure there's a sufficient amount of fill; there's a lot of ultralight down jackets that are no warmer than a light fleece because there's hardly any down in them. The patagonia down sweater is a good reference point, but there are plenty of other options. REI brand has some great options.

All of the above assumes it's so cold that you're never going to be sweating. Down jackets aren't breathable and if they get wet they're less warm (but this is an overstated concern because even when wet they still offer as much insulation as a similar weight synthetic jacket).

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But...if you layer a down item under a shell, make sure the shell doesn't compress or constrict the down. It needs to loft in order to maintain its insulation. I used to wear a down sweater under a shell, but found when I leaned back on lift chairs, I could feel the cold metal on my back just because the down flattened out to almost nothing.
Personally, I changed to a heavyweight fleece under my shell.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Ditch the mid layer thought. Go with a full length, down coaches coat. Arctic’s is a go-to for me.

After I got over the aesthetic of a full length coat I just fell in love with the feeling of warmth on a bitterly cold day.

If that doesn’t work for you look for the heaviest wool sweater. Down and down like insulations compress of chairlifts, loose their loft, and provide zero R value.

Sponsor

Staff online