• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solar Power?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mission creep! What a surprise, Three days in and you have already exceeded the capability of your solar system.
What are you going to do when you get a Wintersteiger next year? You should have just pushed a 220 50 amp UF-B circuit. You're going to do that eventuallyt anyway.

dm
Someone mentioned earlier "More Power". Well, given what our main objective was, lights and charging batteries for the weedwacker, those seems to be working fine...other than the invertor is a bit noisy. The Wintersteiger is going to be installed in the master bedroom because, well... it turns @Tricia on.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone mentioned earlier "More Power". Well, given what our main objective was, lights and charging batteries for the weedwacker, those seems to be working fine...other than the invertor is a bit noisy. The Wintersteiger is going to be installed in the master bedroom because, well... it turns @Tricia on.
Well sure....considering the literal translation of Wintersteiger.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Consider a hydrid system of solar/wind. Solar is good on those long sunny days and most efficient when cold on those short cold days. Wind on the other hand is not defined by sunlight but by wind and primarily is most active October to March (windsurfing season) when solar is least active (cold short days). This may be different in your area.

Consider wind as the supplement to solar hence a big expensive wind system is not required, just something to provide that constant input. Don't forget it provides power even at night, during cloud cover or snow storms as long as there is wind.

Best of both worlds. Draw backs of none.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Go all in. This covers all my electrical needs with a little to put into the solar bank
IMG_4727.JPG

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The next outdoor project at Chez Fuzzball is to replace a 20ft mulberry tree with a 15 foot solar menhir.

If ^those are out on market by then I'll try to use them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tesla has announced the price of their solar roof.
Snip from article
On Wednesday, Tesla opened up orders for its long-anticipated solar roof. On average, the Tesla solar roof price $21.85 per square foot, which is less than the cost of a normal roof, even without the energy savings.
Having recently replaced my roof, complete with ice & water shield, the best underlay, edge strips, vents, some repair materials. Add the same on a roof with the Tesla system I suspect the labour is about 50% more (wiring and such).

However, add in the cost savings of the energy the ROI is likely 5-7 years maybe shorter. In either case had it been available it would have been seriously considered even if I had to do the work to get it within my budget.

Long term this is one of the easiest solutions to add "free" energy to our system.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't looked for a few months at Solar but the big thing on the Tesla solution is it looks around 50% more than standard panel but blends nicely, I'd be up for that ...

Shingles, hail resistant run around $100 to $160 / square standard price.

I'd resume other items such as underlayments, nails, etc are minimal deltas as similar is needed for a solar install​

my roof had around 34 square and priced installed at an avg bid of around $14K or under $3/foot.​

So the real question is ROI, presuming as reported Tesla is running 98% efficiency compared to standard 235/W panels, those ~ for me around 6KW system is around 20 panels, this around 38 sq ft of solar. This would add $8K or so, add the Tesla battery at $5500 or around the cost of my roof in total, depending on install costs. nice thing with battery is you may not need to buy power back from the utility.

One needn't do the whole roof and in some cases, such as mine, a utility will only credit you on power buy back at a reduced rate and reduced more if you exceed your yearly average. here, I hear the state utilities will only pay 20% the rate paid on the first 100% average usage ... so, I'l limit to what I actually use + some head room.

What one needs is to be in an area where a % min of renewable is required, then get the community (new development would work well) to solar up the homes for the utility or local company with payoff being your energy is free.

Don't see this happening ..

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Haven't looked for a few months at Solar but the big thing on the Tesla solution is it looks around 50% more than standard panel but blends nicely, I'd be up for that ...

Shingles, hail resistant run around $100 to $160 / square standard price.

I'd resume other items such as underlayments, nails, etc are minimal deltas as similar is needed for a solar install​

my roof had around 34 square and priced installed at an avg bid of around $14K or under $3/foot.​

So the real question is ROI, presuming as reported Tesla is running 98% efficiency compared to standard 235/W panels, those ~ for me around 6KW system is around 20 panels, this around 38 sq ft of solar. This would add $8K or so, add the Tesla battery at $5500 or around the cost of my roof in total, depending on install costs. nice thing with battery is you may not need to buy power back from the utility.

One needn't do the whole roof and in some cases, such as mine, a utility will only credit you on power buy back at a reduced rate and reduced more if you exceed your yearly average. here, I hear the state utilities will only pay 20% the rate paid on the first 100% average usage ... so, I'l limit to what I actually use + some head room.

What one needs is to be in an area where a % min of renewable is required, then get the community (new development would work well) to solar up the homes for the utility or local company with payoff being your energy is free.

Don't see this happening ..

I generate more electricity than I use, so my 'excess' generation is tracked and saved in my 'solar bank'. If I use more than I generate during a billing period, it is paid for from my 'bank'. For me this is much better a battery which eventually wears out and needs to be replaced. I haven't investigated Tesla's batteries so maybe that is a non-issue now.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
hmm, I just did my 4000sq ft roof for under $4000. I did the labor my self. So the solar would cost $87,400

upload_2017-5-17_10-1-49.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I generate more electricity than I use, so my 'excess' generation is tracked and saved in my 'solar bank'. If I use more than I generate during a billing period, it is paid for from my 'bank'. For me this is much better a battery which eventually wears out and needs to be replaced. I haven't investigated Tesla's batteries so maybe that is a non-issue now.

Yeah, I like the Solar option but the buy in if not doing it oneself is one big step. Numbers I see here in Iowa run $35K for typ home and it's usage. If you do sell back to utility, last I heard it's around 3 cents a KWH, which now based on changes is 3 cents till you hit average usage and then 3/5 of a cent ...which is brutally nothing. even with tax write off it's a long long payback if installed for ya.

Had a work buddy who installed a refurbished 80KWH windmill originally in the windfarm outside of LA area. Later put up 20 or so Panels and noted he never worries about his house being cold. He sells back to their Rural Co-operative- RAC (who hasn't a stepped buyback rate) at 3 cents, buys it back if needed at the 11 or 12 cent / KWH. noted he has a surplus of cash.

He did all the work himself other than the mechanical rebuild of the windmill when bought, and the wiring into grid which the RAC did for free. Said there was no way he was gonna do mechanical repair any time soon on a motor 80 foot off the ground.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I really don't like 'banks' I can't use in emergencies. If I do a grid tie-in I am required to have an anti-islanding circuit, so when my neighbour loses power I can't have mine either. This is why applications like @Philpug s really turn my crank - non-residential installation means no grid tie-in required by the state. Which means I don't have to pay for an inverter AND I can use all my electronics, pet gadgets, coolers as an RV-grade 12V installation.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@cantunamunch , good points. For me it isn't about surviving a black out but saving money. I also like that my home effectively runs off green electricity. Going 12V would require a complete upgrade to my house which would take a big bite out of my savings.

To be fair, I'm waiting for an inverter replacement for my system. Fortunately my lease includes guarantees and compensation for failure to perform.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch , good points. For me it isn't about surviving a black out but saving money. I also like that my home effectively runs off green electricity. Going 12V would require a complete upgrade to my house which would take a big bite out of my savings.

Sure, I getcha. *grin* As of 2 years ago my lower level is 100% LED - and not screw-in bulb type either.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ soon you'll put wheels on your house and have an RV! :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Maryland's laws being what they are, I'd be a lot greener if I did. :(:ogcool: But at least the tool shed and kayak shed are eco friendly :):)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A friend of mine has been doing a this for over 25 years, batteries, solar and wind. I've source him a few towers for wind generators.

The best all around system is a hybrid of wind and solar with a storage bank when neither are generating enough to cover your peaks.

Wind produces in all times of day when there is wind, solar produces most efficiently with on sun days (cold preferred).

The secret is setting up a system that maximises production in your specific area while keeping storage to a minimum.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Soooo, Tesla introduced this...

I was just looking at this the other day. We have just a touch of SW-facing roof and I've started to weigh options. I like this.

View attachment 15381
I bumped into someone from SolarCity at Home Depot a few days ago.
I recognized the logo on his shirt and asked him if he was with the company that is associated with Tesla.
He has set up an appointment to come to our home and see if we could be a candidate for this kind of roof.

I don't feel as though we're in a position to replace our roof at the moment, but I'm stoked to gain some knowledge about this and see if its in our long term future.

Sponsor

Staff online