• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So inconsiderate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowboarders..

1710711493123.gif

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I ski with a lot of snowboarders... the a-hole percentage may be a bit higher than with skiers, but there are plenty of good ones and a-holes in both sets.
To be honest, I find that the percentage of a-holes on boards vs skis is not skewed.
The snowboarder a-hole that I encountered wasn't "a snowboarder" as much as he was an a-hole who happened to be on a board.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The its all about me generation and its only getting worse. I've had snowboarder think its ok to rest there boards on my skis, even when asked politely I don't like it.

BlueGrin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Could be rude or could be clueless.
That's not an either/or. His rudeness may have been caused by his cluelessness, but it isn't excused by it.

Even if it wasn't intentional, it was definitely "inconsiderate." This is correctable behaviour that the boarder is responsible for, and the fact that he didn't himself recognize that he's making a teen girl uncomfortable is worthy of being judged. I don't see how anyone could defend this as being innocent.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So it wasn’t all my fault, but I once loaded fifth on a quad. Next to a dude; not sure if that’s better or worse at this point. It just happened. Which is why I’m saying the boarder should have scooted over to give the girl some space. Is there a physical restriction from raising the bar and moving over?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s all probably a simple loading error. A quick conversation and realignment would almost certainly have dealt with it. It just doesn’t seem like a “thing” at all.
This is the reaction of a man who doesn't have a history of being bullied or intimidated or harassed or threatened by people who are bigger and stronger and meaner and maybe have friends.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
To some of us, it might seem like a quick conversation. However tempted to say something smart-ass, I likely would have said something along the line of "Let me raise the bar for you so that you can move your leg onto your side of the divider, I'm sure we'll all be more comfortable that way." Seems simple enough, right? Well, I can assure you that if it had been my youngest sitting there, who struggles with anxiety, they would have just tried to make themself as small as possible and that 10 minute lift ride would have felt like a miserable eternity. I agree with @BlueGrin that the guy really should have been aware that he was loading a 6 pack, and that there were 3 other people on there with him, and as such he should not be taking up 41.6% of the chair. Even if math were not his thing, he should have noticed how squished and uncomfortable his neighbor was without anyone saying something, and offered to do something about it. He had a 10 minute lift ride to figure it out.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well the OP claims it was a full 6 pack yet the photo indicates plenty of space to the the right of the person leftmost in the photo so it's not clear exactly what was going on. ( maybe that person had 2 small kids left of him/her so had bunched up next to them?)

I mean everyone's projecting something here so why not?

Vampire Cat

Putting on skis
Skier
Well the OP claims it was a full 6 pack yet the photo indicates plenty of space to the the right of the person leftmost in the photo so it's not clear exactly what was going on. ( maybe that person had 2 small kids left of him/her so had bunched up next to them?)

I mean everyone's projecting something here so why not?
Without saying something and giving the person a chance to correct the perceived slight it's hard to say. As a full grown man I'd start rubbing his thigh until he moved of his own accord. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Here we go. Plausible explanation. Chair 4 has a dumbass magic carpet load which can freak people out when they encounter it for the first time and leave them badly positioned when they are scooped up.

It's at least as plausible as a guy gets on the chair looking to physically assault a girl/ woman of unknown age. Some might say vastly more so.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually, the magic carpet load makes it less plausible. A 6 pack with magic carpet will have 6 individual gates to pass through. That gate positions you just so on the carpet to line you up with your seat. The carpet also has striped lanes, so if you look down you can see if you are lined up correctly. He would have had to either move over after passing through the gate while on the carpet, or scootch over a fair amount after sitting down to be where he was on the seat. That means he actively repositioned himself at some point after passing through the gate.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was on al lift with a person who became disoriented unloading the 8 with an automatic bar and a magic carpet, it is possible to maybe get freaked out, which to me is more plausible than an ahole or worse.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Actually, the magic carpet load makes it less plausible. A 6 pack with magic carpet will have 6 individual gates to pass through. That gate positions you just so on the carpet to line you up with your seat. The carpet also has striped lanes, so if you look down you can see if you are lined up correctly. He would have had to either move over after passing through the gate while on the carpet, or scootch over a fair amount after sitting down to be where he was on the seat. That means he actively and consciously repositioned himself at some point after passing through the gate.
Yeah I don't buy it. It's very difficult to sccoch anywhere once load bearing on a magic carpet. Plus they were clearly also designed with skiers in mind. It would be more than possible for a boarder to end up with his/her free foot out of their "lane".

Sheena

Putting on skis
Skier
Weird stuff can happen sometimes when loading lifts. I was loading 6 pack, and a boarder joined on my right, somehow his binding strap got caught on my ski break. Anyway, we could not figure out how it happened and it was an intertwining lift ride and unloading. Though I say this as a middle aged woman.

I will say as far as the conveyer belt loading goes, it can be hard, and cause some awkward loading. My son loaded a 3 man with is friend, and they ended up almost on top of each other. And once you get going, it can be hard to readjust.

I guess I am more on the non confrontational side of things, but I don't know that this experience was something that had to or needed to be a big confrontation.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I had a misload at Whistler caused by the gate opening being chronically late for the speed of the chair which left me in someone else's seat and an Aussie guy with a broken snowboard strap ( probably caused by my ski). The lifties were more concerned with our natural swearing about their feck up than the fact they could have had one or more people with lower limb injuries due to their ineptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online