• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing while or after drinking? How often and how much? Are you SWI? And should that be a thing of concern?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
The talk of après is often mixed with skiing and ski town and at ski lodges etc...The dinner scene and nightlife. Buts also the lunch scene on mountain. Live music etc..,
But I dont thinks its really discussed much as for how much drinking is actually mixed with the actual skiing. How many drunks or half drunks are out there. How often are you skiing after drinking more than you should've and how much is consumed while skiing? is there , should there be better responsibility? is it a no no for you. Is it a problem out there in your opinion? is it not a problem at all in your opinion?

For me I enjoy my scotchwhiskey as much as the next guy, But its after dinner . or perhaps a cordial or 3 after an espresso. Im not against a party nor alcohol. But i am not one to be an on mountain skiing/drinker per say. I may have a beer with lunch (usually not) but if im with a group and we are all having a beer but rarely ever (if i even do have one) will it ever be two. I just get bogged down and tire after lunch so i normally dont desire any alcohol to weigh in any more. Plus driving back is difficult enough. But even if staying over I wont drink till after my day on the hill. No great reason but thats just me.

but i seen enough folk who not only are looking to pound beers any chance they get but also maybe even have the flask of something in the pocket not just to sip but to pound for each chair up. I honestly cant say that ive seen very many drunken situations on the hill. But anytime there is any situation we dont know if its played a role or not.
or people are down we just really dont know if alcohol played a role or not. And what about the rare argument on lines or etc... is any that fueled by alcohol?

IDK just doesnt seem to be a usual topic.
I have no doubt there is always a potential alcohol problem person around almost everywhere we go and everything we do. Its a huge part of the reason we often have too many rules to begin with. Should alcohol be curved and better monitored on ski hills? Should it be made to more of an awareness for safety reasons and the enjoyment of everyone? is it no issue at all? Honestly for me IDK:huh: but what say you?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm much more in line with Goose. Alcohol makes me drowsy -- a real no-no since I'm almost always driving (sometimes for hours) after a day of skiing.
My biggest issue is with the small, local areas open at night. Here in CT, I live close to an area where teen-agers routinely gather to gang-ski and drink in the evenings. It got so dangerous that the local after-school program I chaperoned mandated that everyone connected had to be off the hill by 5:30. Groups of obnoxious, clueless, and entitled adolescents are bad enough; everything is made 10x worse with the addition of a few too many beers.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Authorities and experts who regulate driving would disagree..
I suppose your correct about that point. And you can certainly add that into the topic if you feel its a concern. Not thagt i can tell anyone what trhey can add anyway...lol.
But om that note I mean we can also talk about drugs too. But I think drinking would be enough to discuss for this topic. Imo

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
ci-brewski-infused-ale-3cc85f73a5e92db3.jpeg.jpg

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm much more in line with Goose. Alcohol makes me drowsy -- a real no-no since I'm almost always driving (sometimes for hours) after a day of skiing.
My biggest issue is with the small, local areas open at night. Here in CT, I live close to an area where teen-agers routinely gather to gang-ski and drink in the evenings. It got so dangerous that the local after-school program I chaperoned mandated that everyone connected had to be off the hill by 5:30. Groups of obnoxious, clueless, and entitled adolescents are bad enough; everything is made 10x worse with the addition of a few too many beers.
Interesting story. And is exactly what i meant as i brought up how its so often alcohol that directly or indirectly leads to so many rules and regulations in most anything we do. Basically the few bad apples who cant behave ruing things for everyone.

though i still cant say Ive seen the issue so dominant on the actual slopes. Though to be faior i wouldn't want it to ever get to be.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
A few years ago my Taos ski week instructor took us to the tree martini. I passed because I am allergic to alcohol and I wasn’t going to drink out of a flask that who knows how many people got within inches of. But a classmate snatched the flask and drank the whole darn thing! We were supposed to hike the ridge next, but the instructor decided not to do so because this guy started to look drunk. For everyone’s safety, we were going to go back to the base via Porcupine (a blue) but this guy went to Al’s instead and started straight lining down! The instructor had to ditch the group to go after the drunk. Somehow they both survived Al’s without a scratch...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's really kinda funny. Most resorts sell alcohol but even where weed's legal, it's totally illegal to use it there. Yet, most of us agree that it's not as much of an impairment, and actually counted as a PED by the governing bodies.

As for drinking, past experience was maybe one to start the day, another one at lunch, then a couple après (only one if driving). Anything more than that at any time would be risking personal injury or even potential assault or involuntary mansalughter. I didn't always follow those common sense rules though.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I can't tell you how many times I've showed up in the parking lot at Baker before opening and seen a bunch of young guys drinking beer in the parking lot. I have no idea how they do that and enjoy themselves. Also the smell of pot is everywhere in that parking lot.

I've tried skiing after a couple of beers at lunch once or twice, but I felt floppy and out of control, and that was when I was young and into a lot more drinking than I am now. I save the alcohol for after I park the car at the conclusion of the day.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
To each their own. The last thing I want to do is to have to take a piss when I'm just getting on the lift or at the top. So no beer, wine or licquor for me when I'm skiing, I'll hydrate with water. I wait until I'm home to imbibe, which is usually a 2 hour drive. I don't smoke either, so the weed factor is out.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
not sure where I see how any drink can market a ski infused anything like as if ski is a flavor consistent with skiing. I mean perhaps the marketing works cause I suppose you like these. And perhaps they are good and tasty. Id certainly try it. But noting this drink doesnt really offer your opinion about drinking or over drinking while skiing and if you think its any issue.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
There are a large contingent of people skiing under the influence, I used to be one of them. If there are 100 people in line for Super Gauge after lunch at Mary Jane I'd assume there are several people who are over the legal driving limit.

It's a lot easier for an alcoholic to drink three 32 ounce beers, eat a slice of pizza, and be back out on the slopes in an hour than you think :(

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
To each their own. The last thing I want to do is to have to take a piss when I'm just getting on the lift or at the top. So no beer, wine or licquor for me when I'm skiing, I'll hydrate with water. I wait until I'm home to imbibe, which is usually a 2 hour drive. I don't smoke either, so the weed factor is out.
It's been my belief that 100% alcohol and/or weed free skiing was limited to people with kids mostly. I went sober in 1999 so I'm with you there :beercheer: No issues being around others enjoying responsibly though as you all know..

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also the smell of pot is everywhere in that parking lot.
Thats the one thing about pot which is most bothersome and annoying to me. I dont feel that anyone should have to smell nor breathe it in while not by our own choice. And even worse is that kids have to also smell it and breathe it in. Im not against it and in fact I really believe alcohol has ruined and destroyed more people lives and families than pot ever did. But just that I dont feel anyone especially children should be forced to smell it and breathe it in. Imo if your smelling it, your inhaling it. Other than that I dont have much opinion against it.

I also feel the group that's drunk on the ski hill is far more dangerous than the group that shared a joint. At least I think so anyway. But who am I? well..I can answer that myself as i think i am one who believes in etiquettes like respect , common courtesy and responsibility. Though i never pretend Im some angel at all...lol

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many years ago, the lodge I used to stay at in Aspen would arrange a wine and cheese party at Cloud 9 at Highlands (back when it was independent.)

One time, after a few too many wines, a group of us started skiing down and started egging each other on to ski down the Wall run. Well, I went and did it, crashed pretty hard 3/4 of the way down, and the rest of the group chickened out. I caught up with them at the bar at the bottom. The party continued on somebody's motorhome which we all rode back to Aspen.

Don't think I have skied after drinking since.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
A beer and slush bumps -- few things better.
A beer at the summit waiting for snow to corn out, may be better.
A beer after a morning of storm skiing by the fire is pretty damn nice.

Each beer requires turning down the terrain and speed a notch. The third beer is always après.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
not sure where I see how any drink can market a ski infused anything like as if ski is a flavor consistent with skiing. I mean perhaps the marketing works cause I suppose you like these. And perhaps they are good and tasty. Id certainly try it. But noting this drink doesnt really offer your opinion about drinking or over drinking while skiing and if you think its any issue.
A beer is ok with lunch but that's all I will drink.

Sponsor

Staff online