• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing at resorts sans snowboarding

LoneStarMtnLover

Booting up
Skier
Greetings,

I got back from a trip to Big Sky in December where the snow wasn't what a friend and I had hoped (3 lifts, 8 runs open). I noticed that as the conditions worsened through the day I became more and more irritated watching boarders who would consistently scrape their way down the mountain, reducing the snow quality as they went (not all of course, but most). It got me wondering what skiing is like at resorts that do not welcome snow boarders. Alta? Deer Valley? Are there others? What's been your experience?

Cheers,

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Alta and Mad River Glen are two others.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't find it makes any noticeable difference that I've ever seen/felt/skied when I've been to Alta or MRG. The one thing I've heard is that bumps are better without snowboarders. But I've encountered some of the strangest bumps ever at Mad River Glen, sans snowboarders.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to think they had a significant impact on snow quality but time has disproven that hypothesis. I get nervous on super hard, icy conditions, though, as I've yet to hear much about snow board edge beveling and torsional stiffness, and .... only one edge.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't noticed a difference in snow quality dues to boarders, especially after the rider is advanced enough to carve. I've also seen some really really good carving boarders.

As for the resorts that don't allow snowboarders, what I notice is that after skiing at a place like Alta or Deer Valley, when I go to a resort that has snowboarders, I notice that!
That's more about being aware of the heel side blind spot.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Deer Valley is scarier than anywhere with boarders cos of all the heel balancing ski gods slewing their way down the slopes badly.

Alta the skill level is better but I honestly haven't really noticed the lack of boarders there.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
March 19, 2008. The days hell freezes over.
Except it didn't.

That was the day Taos open to snowboarder. I spent the 2009 season at Taos and was there that day.
Nothing happened. The world kept turning. The sun kept shinning and most skier still skied out of the backseat.
The only change was many instructors went out and bought snowboards. We got to laugh at them for couple years. Then they got good.

Usually if you are having issues with the snow condition. Look within and up your skillset.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
No difference in mogul quality that I've ever noticed.

Alta is the only place it would ever make a difference. Boarders would destroy the traverses in addition to furthering the risk in already dangerous areas (Ballroom, High T)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I guess I'll providing the dissenting opinion. At LL we see boarders heel side slip the entire face of the bowls and take most of the snow with them. It's a regular occurrence. Not saying skiers might not also do this, but I don't see that happen with the frequency that the boarders all do it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I'll providing the dissenting opinion. At LL we see boarders heel side slip the entire face of the bowls and take most of the snow with them. It's a regular occurrence. Not saying skiers might not also do this, but I don't see that happen with the frequency that the boarders all do it.
Oh sure, that happens. And probably more with boarders given how easy it is to heel slide, versus side slip on skis.

I guess I was thinking of it in these terms - if I could ski two resorts, one that allowed boarders, and one that didn't, would I notice the difference? I don't think I would. Or better yet, the same resort on different days, if they allowed boarders or not? (If that were possible.)

Or flipping that around, when I've been at resorts that don't allow boarders, did I notice that things were better in some way? I have not.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
I don't think I've noticed any obvious differnces with the possible exception of the approuch to the lift line requiring a little less manuevering around people slowly dragging their boards into the roped area.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At LL we see boarders heel side slip the entire face of the bowls and take most of the snow with them.

Truth. Maddening. This approach pretty much ruins the "choke" point in Alta 1 Chute at JH within a half hour of opening on a powder day. Very different than pre-board days.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Jokes aside...I'm a snowboarder and want to thank everyone in this thread that are dispelling myths here.

Being honest, I've never skied any area that didn't allow snowboarders, partly because I spent the better part of my snowsports life on a single plank, and partly because the fact that they still don't allow it, leaves a bad taste in my mouth...it seems like an outdated policy and quite frankly, a bit pretentious (of course, I'm bias here). I'm not actively trying to avoid those areas, but I'm also not seeking them out for a destination.

I get nervous on super hard, icy conditions, though, as I've yet to hear much about snow board edge beveling and torsional stiffness, and .... only one edge.
What would you like to know? :) Two edges are better than one on super hard, icy conditions...not a myth. Living on the east coast, this is one of the reasons I started skiing again, we had too many icy days where I wanted more grip. But with a torsionally stiff board, a little knowhow, and a good tune, snowboards can carve quite well. Most boards out there are not super stiff rippers though, and I'd be willing to bet as a whole, skiers tune their skis more often.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Not any different from a lower skilled skier plowing their way down a slope in which they are way over their head. Plus, we seem to ski a wider line on modern equipment and can dig a little deeper trenches than we used to.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
While it's fun to pick on boarders for every little bad thing in the mountain my reality is there are just as many, if not more, skiers who are dangerous, over terrained, and flat out oblivious. As far as snow conditions go, I usually shy away from bumps but I don't see the heel side slip and pile at places like Alta. But I've also seen wedge tracks too. I'm with @Lauren though: the sitting in the middle of the run or just over a roller or lip is maddening.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some of my best friends and family are boarders but I’d prefer a worldwide ban. They’re always in the way and they make funky bumps. They are involved in proportionally more collisions. A good snowboarder is beauty in motion though.

Sponsor

Staff online