• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Purchase Options

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You would love these if they fit your budget. The bindings will adjust to your boots too.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Stance 90 or Mindbender 89Ti come to mind as skis that would be solid with some metal and stiffness yet still forgiving even in the 182cm size with your size. Last years versions on sale at Corbett’s for $419.99 CAN/$315ish US with free shipping. I’m sure they could find some Attack 13s/14s for a deal to package with them to be under your budget for brand new gear.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
@Mendieta
I should have bought skis last spring after demoing these 3 skis as I remember one of them felt more forgiving but held the edge better (and I might be describing that the wrong way).
I am 6’3” and 220 pounds (a little heavy but still athletic I used to play pro baseball so more of a wide 6’3”).
I know stats say I should be on a lot longer ski but everytime I get on a longer ski I don’t like how much I have to work to make it turn.
Welcome to "The Clyde Club". Most skis are designed and sized for the normal public. You fall above that line. Put a short easy flexing ski on a person of your size and you will find the point where the ski will fold under you. A quality ski with a good suspension will allow you to love a shorter length. My choice for the perfect Dad ski is the Kendo in 170. You will be able to survive and thrive across almost any condition. Assuming sometime in the future as you log more days on your skis you may desire a longer charger for bowl skiing come on back. We will be here waiting.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have some Experience88 ti in 187 that aren’t getting lots of use. Maybe 25 days on them, could use a good tune. Look them up and and pm me if you are interested.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Lptexastornado, my son is about your size, I’m a few inches shorter and about 40-50 pounds lighter. We will ski the same length ski and I try to get skis with demo bindings for various reasons, but this way we can both use them. Just something to think about.
We have 84 and 88 both 179, and a 96 at 182 just as a reference. I picked up the 96’s from @SkiEssentials last season for a fantastic price.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
LPtex, you haven't told us what type of snow you like to ski on nor how your ski. Do you keep on groomers? Love getting into crud? Head for fresh snow even if it is an inch or a foot?

Do you like to ski fast or slow? Do you like to make many tight turns or a few big fast turns?

Ski length is a very inexact science. In general in any line of skis the longer ones are made stiffer for the biggest, fastest, stronger skier on the hill. Just the opposite for the slow or featherweight skier, the shorter skis are made softer. So, you're a big guy. That means fairly long or long skis in a given line. If you like to let'em rip, maybe the longest skis are what you'll end up liking. But you said that you don't like how they make you work for each turn. That's about your speed or technique. So consider the next-to-longest skis in an make/model line of skis. Don't get hung up on the specific length, look for that next-to-longest length.

About the snow...if you stay on groomers then narrower skis in the 70-something width have advantages. If you like to get into crud and thin fresh snow, then a ski in the 80s works very well. Check here for great ideas...https://www.skitalk.com/forums/product-reviews.120/ski-selector . Look for "Testers' Choice" in any brand in any year in the width you think works best for you. The statement above about skis having a life of 50 to 100 days, well, that depends a lot on how hard the original skier hammered them on the hill. I try to get in about 30 ski days a year, and I've broken down only one pair of skis in all my years. I'm not a cliff jumper, I don't hammer moguls, and I mainly roll my skis on edge so they turn me in all snow conditions.

About your pricing...you're asking for decent skis & bindings at about the cost of just new bindings alone. Look for what you hope for, but be ready to pay more. Bindings can be moved to accommodate different length boots; don't demand demo bindings. The bindings need to have a DIN adjustment range that suits you...https://www.powder7.com/ski-bindings-din-chart/sizing-guide and be fairly new. Older bindings won't get worked on; the binding makers indemnify the shops only for new bindings. And, for just 10 or 12 days a year consider the cost and baggage fees vs. continuing to rent good skis. By the way, many of hand-carry our boots into the plane. The airline can lose anything else, but we need our boots. If yours have any looseness or any other things that aren't 100% great for you, find a good boot fitter at your destination and get them adjusted so they fit you as an exoskeleton, as close and comfy as a crab's shell.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Stance 90 or Mindbender 89Ti come to mind as skis that would be solid with some metal and stiffness yet still forgiving even in the 182cm size with your size. Last years versions on sale at Corbett’s for $419.99 CAN/$315ish US with free shipping. I’m sure they could find some Attack 13s/14s for a deal to package with them to be under your budget for brand new gear.
Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I completely agree with @GregK . Salomon skis are, IMO, the best bang for your buck. Getting last year's model(s) plus buying them from Canada is about as cheap as you'll find new skis. Don't be afraid of system bindings either. You'll save more money and you won't have to pay to have them mounted. Good luck and have fun with your family.

Sponsor