• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Purchase Options

Lptexastornado

Booting up
Skier
All, thanks in advance for advice. My wife and I aren’t new to skiing but new to purchasing our own skis! We purchased our boots last year and this year I would like to at least purchase my skis but also don’t want to break the bank.

Any suggestions on good places to look for used skis and what’s important to look for and to stay away from?

we have 5 kids ranging from 4yrs old to 14 and skis will be used from green runs up to black runs with my wife and older son (and eventually they next few that get a little more courage lol)

I don’t really have a brand preference just looking for a decent used deal and not purchasing a ski that is gonna fall apart.

I demoed some skis last year and like staying in the 168-174 length and somewhere around 88 to 94 width.
What I really don’t know about is bindings. I bought these boots last year and I guess the easiest thing would be to purchase skis with demo bindings (I’m not a expert nor am I striving to be I’m just happy carving groomed runs and normal mountain runs with the family and not getting into powder as of now).

Also below are the skis I Demo’d.

I’m fine going back a few years. And would like to stay around $300 - $500

any suggestions on websites to look at and what to look for (such as make sure to get demo bindings or this size binding would fit your boot or don’t get skis that have the bases fixed with Ptex or top deck scratches and top edge nicks are just cosmetic and don’t affect the function of the ski, stuff like that)

thanks again for the help! Looking forward to getting back out on the mountain in a couple weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_7249.jpeg
    IMG_7249.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7248.jpeg
    IMG_7248.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7247.jpeg
    IMG_7247.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi, for the use you are describing, narrower is better. So, among all those three, I would stay with the Kendos. Powder 7 is a good, reputable place to get demos.

These are slightly outside of your price range, but maybe you can email them and see if they'll sell them a bit lower (I believe they always offer free shipping)

SkiEssentials might have some new, but very well priced skis. You can search there. I would look for a system ski. Same with EVO. Those come with demo bindings and tend to cost less. If you tag @SkiEssentials , Jeff might be able to help you

EDIT: This search filter shows some nice system skis around your price range ... and they are all new!

Best luck, and enjoy the skiing with the family! Nothing better than that !

Last edited:
TS
L

Lptexastornado

Booting up
Skier
@Mendieta thanks for those options. That used ski is definitely an option. And the new ones @SkiEssentials are tempting as well.
Honestly I probably wouldn’t be able to tell a difference in the used ski and the new ski even though I would think that used ski is a “nicer” “better” ski.

That’s where I’m a little uncertain. Is there a a advantage to buying a new ski even though it might not be a top end ski vs a used ski that is more of a top end ski (I’m not saying that Kendo is a top end ski, maybe it is maybe it isn’t just figured it was more of a top end ski than the new ones on Skiessentials.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Those are 3 very (VERY) different skis, albeit similar lenghts. Which was best for you, is the answer to your question.
Oh, and if you can't tell any difference, spend on lessons before skis.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Powder 7 would be my first thought but along the lines of what Jim said, you need to decide what skis you're looking for first. If you don't know, a post here describing the skier(s) skiing ability, location, terrain, and weight/height/gender/age (for kiddos) would help some very knowledgeable people give you some suggestions.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Mendieta thanks for those options. That used ski is definitely an option. And the new ones @SkiEssentials are tempting as well.
Honestly I probably wouldn’t be able to tell a difference in the used ski and the new ski even though I would think that used ski is a “nicer” “better” ski.

That’s where I’m a little uncertain. Is there a a advantage to buying a new ski even though it might not be a top end ski vs a used ski that is more of a top end ski (I’m not saying that Kendo is a top end ski, maybe it is maybe it isn’t just figured it was more of a top end ski than the new ones on Skiessentials.

That's actually a very good question. And a loaded one. But, at heart, it is more important to focus on what is a good ski for you, rather than what is a good ski. When I was on my second season I almost bought a REALLY bad ski for me. It was one of the "best" skis at the moment, for expert offpiste skiers. I was trying to learn how to use a ski on a groomer :roflmao:

But I get you. You are a more advanced skier than I was at the time, and you want a higher performance ski. If I had to sacrifice performance or newness, I would choose a better performing used ski for sure, if it is in good condition.

On bindings, not everyone will agree, but I prefer demo bindings, because you can move them a little forward if needed.

So, like @coskigirl said, if you answer those questions (at least about you, since you are starting with skis for yourself), we can narrow it to a few good candidates and you can look for deals on those. One more question, very specifically, do you enjoy or seek skiing bumps/moguls?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s where I’m a little uncertain. Is there a a advantage to buying a new ski even though it might not be a top end ski vs a used ski that is more of a top end ski
Skis have finite life; they are consumables, like brake rotors or climbing rope. It’s not just surface cosmetics. A ski’s core will flex out with use. There’s lots of variables, but a ski’s useful life is somewhere between 50-100 days.

Do you often buy used brake rotors?

TS
L

Lptexastornado

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the responses! A lot of good information.

@Mendieta
I do not like skiing moguls but I have to ski them from time to time to follow my better half and now my son (good problem to have).
I should have bought skis last spring after demoing these 3 skis as I remember one of them felt more forgiving but held the edge better (and I might be describing that the wrong way).
I am 6’3” and 220 pounds (a little heavy but still athletic I used to play pro baseball so more of a wide 6’3”).
I know stats say I should be on a lot longer ski but everytime I get on a longer ski I don’t like how much I have to work to make it turn.
That’s why I have looked at the sizes that I have enjoyed last year when I really started paying attention.

yes in the long run I should get more lessons and try to become more advanced but when you live in Houston and the m the past only skied 5 days a year it’s a tough pill to swallow to take a lesson when you are already are having a blast.
Now that our skiing days are in increasing (this year I should get 10-12 days on the mountain) I would like better skis Becuase I could definitely tell a difference in those 3 demo skis and the “base sport package” skis that you get when trying to save money while paying for skiing for 7 people on the mountain .

I skied one day on those “sport package” skis after the demo skis and the biggest thing I could tell was on the narrower ski it could catch a edge or grab a lot quicker especially if I wasn’t paying attention. Where as the wider demo skis I felt like I got on edge easily but if I’m cruising down the groomed runs and watching my children ski by me (still paying attention to were I’m going not being reckless don’t roast me for that) they felt a lot more forgiving and “floating”. Which I enjoyed.

I’m only buying skis for myself and possibly my wife but I think I’ll start with my skis Becuase she hasn’t payed any attention to size and length of skis while she has skied her whole life. She just grips it and rips it.

Once again I appreciate the comments and the links to good deals and good suggestions. I am normally a believer in it’s not the arrow it is the Indian but I also know technology has gotten so advanced that there are probably better skis for me that could open my eyes a little more but no matter what ski I have I’m sure I’ll enjoy the mountain.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First @Lptexastornado, welcome to SkiTalk!

Second, I just wanted to note that it's "skis", not "skies", unless you're talking about the sky. :) I've fixed it a bunch of places... but just for future reference.

Hope you find a some skis that you love!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I skied one day on those “sport package” skis after the demo skis and the biggest thing I could tell was on the narrower ski it could catch a edge or grab a lot quicker especially if I wasn’t paying attention. Where as the wider demo skis I felt like I got on edge easily but if I’m cruising down the groomed runs and watching my children ski by me (still paying attention to were I’m going not being reckless don’t roast me for that) they felt a lot more forgiving and “floating”. Which I enjoyed.

Actually, that's typical! How narrrow were the narrower ones? And what skis? (brand/model). Also, where do you ski?

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Do you have the kids sorted? If not, I would recommend a seasonal lease. Most big outdoor retailers will offer a season-long lease program (skis, boots, poles; some even extend that to helmets, gloves, pants & jacket). Since your kids are growing fast, and will be in a different size of just about everything next year, it make a lot of sense to just lease instead of buy.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
At 220 lbs and 6'3" a 168 to 174 cm ski is too short. I hear your comment that didn't like how longer skis felt, but if you buy a ski this short you will quickly outgrow it as you get some time on the snow.

TS
L

Lptexastornado

Booting up
Skier
I think the narrower skis were in the low 70s.

yes I got all the kids sorted out we all have our own helmets.y wife and I come from big families so we got hand me downs for all the softgoods with some Amazon specials to top it off. Everyone stays warm and has fun do to that!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the inputs. I’ll do some more digging given all the information and see if I can find the right ski for this year.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I think the narrower skis were in the low 70s.

yes I got all the kids sorted out we all have our own helmets.y wife and I come from big families so we got hand me downs for all the softgoods with some Amazon specials to top it off. Everyone stays warm and has fun do to that!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the inputs. I’ll do some more digging given all the information and see if I can find the right ski for this year.

Perfect, here is what you should look for, IMHO, since you want a top tier ski for groomers and some bumps following a whole family of different ages and abilities, you are 6'3 and 220lbs, and you liked The Candide 2.0 and the Kendo 88, all at a shorter length than you would normally pick at your size. Also, you don't seem to enjoy SL type, short radius narrow skis with flat tails:

1. An all mountain ski marketed to the advanced/expert skier (given your size), which will yield the following things:
    1. Sandwich (as opposed to capped) sidewalls.
    2. One, but ideally two sheets of metal ("titanal")
    3. Rocker-camber-rocker profile
Since you are looking for a budget of $300-500 in a higher quality ski, you will probably need to find either an older, unused system ski , or a used demo ski with demo bindings. If we are lucky, @GregK or @ScottB are around to give you some ideas. I am not a gear head. BUT, if you find a 2021 Faction CT 1.0, JUMP on it. And one more thing, don't pick skis too short. You will grow out of them, like @PinnacleJim . All of these skis have raised tips and tails, so they ski short ... and you are long!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a quick reply for now, but check what is for sale on this website. Usually they are well care for skis at a reasonable price. I saw a 170+ something pair of Blizzard Brahma's for sale that I thought would work for my wife and would work for you in that short a size. Otherwise I suggest longer and something forgiving which seems to suit you.

I checked and it looks like you have PM'd the owner, how is that going ?

One issue with used skis is getting the bindings set for your boot size, new skis or demo bindings can be easily set for your boots. Remounting bindings is not a big deal, but it is necessary depending on how close your boot and the original boot are in size.

TS
L

Lptexastornado

Booting up
Skier
Awesome thanks guys. Extremely helpful. I really appreciate good forums. I don’t post much (hardly at all) but I am on this sight daily just staying excited for the upcoming trips each year but also to learn and grow. In we again I really appreciate the help!!!

Sponsor

Staff online