• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Signs that your next lesson is going to be a hard one

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
When the parent asks you if it's ok if they watch the lesson. Not always a sign of trouble but I'm often afraid this will lead to a stage mother scenario. One time I went up to the TBL area because it's a fun place to practice stuff but also partly I wanted to get away from the parent and thought her son might do better if mom wasn't watching. Well she followed. Turns out she just wanted to watch and said I wonderful and patient with her son so it all worked out but I was "afraid" for a bit. :)

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
They call another instructor DURING the lesson to confirm what you are telling them. Obviously not me but I did see it happen. LOL.

OMG.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
-20C and the kid has on a cute beanie with a visor and wool mitts x 2. (Mommy had the same beanie and visor.) "How long does it take to go top to bottom?" It's Tremblant, and I think we're doing Nansen.....at least an hour in snowplow.....I got cold, but the kid had a great time. Then Mommy didn't show up as she couldn't get the Audi started...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"Are you HIM"??.... last seen heading down main street...

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
When the parent asks you if it's ok if they watch the lesson. Not always a sign of trouble but I'm often afraid this will lead to a stage mother scenario. One time I went up to the TBL area because it's a fun place to practice stuff but also partly I wanted to get away from the parent and that her son might do better if mom wasn't watching. Well she followed. Turns out she just wanted to watch and said I wonderful and patient with her son so it all worked out but I was "afraid" for a bit. :)
When my kid's are in a lesson, I'll cruise the area a few times if I know where they are. I try to watch w/o them knowing I'm there. Sometimes they spot me. As long as I am keeping my distance, they aren't put off by it.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
When my kid's are in a lesson, I'll cruise the area a few times if I know where they are. I try to watch w/o them knowing I'm there. Sometimes they spot me. As long as I am keeping my distance, they aren't put off by it.

That's totally cool.

One of my coworkers had a mother get all stage mothery on him. She was constantly making suggestions and heaven forbid Gilbertso paid attention to one of the other students she shouted to him asking why he was ignoring her son. He took them to the terrain based learning area and she followed them up there. Not sure what happened after that but I felt for him having to deal with that.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
sign number one - The parents deliver their five year-old to the lesson meeting place in a stroller.

Oh. Well, that does seem like a bad start. I thought the first rule was going to be "you get off the lift and you have to side-step down the trail because the snow is so sticky that you can not move". ogwink

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Oh. Well, that does seem like a bad start. I thought the first rule was going to be "you get off the lift and you have to side-step down the trail because the snow is so sticky that you can not move". ogwink

But.... that was a good lesson.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But.... that was a good lesson.

I was going to make a joke about instructor/student POVs but that would conceal my fairly serious thought that a "When do we know a lesson is going to be tough on the student" thread would have traction here.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I guess it depends on how you define tough on the student. KevinF during that lesson - "Who knew that Toll Road is the hardest trail on the mountain?" LOL!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
A couple of days ago I was asked to go up and split a group of 7-9 year old never evers (I'm an adult instructor). Of course, the ski pro gave me the three in a pile in the middle of the mini half-pipe.

Eventually, it turned out ok. Once I got them, one at a time, to stand up, ascend the half pipe, and learn to turn, it went much better. Especially with the other kids I had.

Mike

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I guess it depends on how you define tough on the student. KevinF during that lesson - "Who knew that Toll Road is the hardest trail on the mountain?" LOL!

Sign#2 that you're going to be in for a long lesson... Your student / instructor gets more than 10 feet in front of you and you lose them in the fog.

That was a really good lesson though... I was honestly impressed that you were able to surmise anything on a day when we couldn't see anything.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Couch potatoes? An instructor told me he sometimes gets a teen who obviously never ever exercised. The kid's parents expect the instructor to have their offspring perform because ... well. They are paying good money for the private lesson.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
When you say pizza and they do the opposite..(a herringbone) or scariest the foreign college students with no translator put skis on backwards can't understand instructions but have a blast going straight until they hug a tree or fall!! thankfully no one got hurt..

Sponsor

Staff online