• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

San Juan Cat Skiing Stoke

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Purgatory Ski Area now owns the San Juan Untracked snowcat skiing operation that ran out of there for years. They offer 10% off for season pass holders and are running a 25% off deal this month. The snowpack went from high to low danger this week after consolidation creating a stable base. With the cold temperature changes, the snow is much lighter and the avy danger is now ramping up again with the latest storm.....with more on the way. So we were 'forced' to stay in the trees for the best day of the year, so far. The crew is great and there is a lot of terrain they can access, depending on conditions:

Friend's edit:

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
<3 tree skiing. Looks pretty low angle (although the camera can lie, and I only watched some parts) - do you think you'd have been on steeper stuff if the avy situation were less tenuous?

TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
This was moderately steep (33°) for the best turns @ 1:40 and the clip of the skiers dropping to the road with the camera I was using. The snow depth created too much resistance on lower angled slopes shown on the other clips with the yellow DPS's from my buddies camera.

Anything steeper would have had to have been on exposed, high risk slopes.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January