• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RV Friendly Ski Resorts

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier
The 2017-18 $kiing Budget Thread got me thinking about our expenses and I realized 80 - 90% is going to lodging, food/drink, and dog boarding. The next thought was how can I reduce these cost? The simplest would be to move closer but finding a job with adequate compensation would be near impossible so that got me thinking about brining the home with us. We have toyed with the idea buying a Motorhome for a couple years for summer recreation but what if it could be used for winter too. We could make our own meals, bring the dogs with us, and camping fees are usually much lower than hotels.

I know Crystal Mountain has on site RV parking with electric but what other ski resorts are RV friendly or have nearby campgrounds that are open in winter?

https://crystalmountainresort.com/arriving/rv-parking/

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We stayed at Fireside RV campground about 3 miles down the road from Jackson Hole last month. They had snowy cable TV in addition to the usual electric, water, and sewer. Not sure if they run that year round though.. must be tough to keep it accessible with 500 inches of snow falling. Also, we weren't allowed to park 23 feet of RV in the main lots at Jackson. We had to park in a satellite lot to actually visit the resort. Finally, Fireside RV fees were very high, more than three times what we paid at Yellowstone and double KOA. A motel room would have been cheaper.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens Pass has an RV lot with electric hookups.

For more thorough information, you need an expert. Paging @DanoT

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crested Butte Mountain Resort lets RVs park overnight in the main parking lot. I think the charge was $10 and covers just parking as there are no services available. Then the day time charge is $20. To be more accurate these were the charges in the 2016-17 season. I have no idea what the policy will be for 2017-18. Gunnison has an RV site west of town on Hwy 50. That's less than 40 miles from the ski area.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The 2017-18 $kiing Budget Thread got me thinking about our expenses and I realized 80 - 90% is going to lodging, food/drink, and dog boarding. The next thought was how can I reduce these cost? The simplest would be to move closer but finding a job with adequate compensation would be near impossible so that got me thinking about brining the home with us. We have toyed with the idea buying a Motorhome for a couple years for summer recreation but what if it could be used for winter too. We could make our own meals, bring the dogs with us, and camping fees are usually much lower than hotels.

I know Crystal Mountain has on site RV parking with electric but what other ski resorts are RV friendly or have nearby campgrounds that are open in winter?

https://crystalmountainresort.com/arriving/rv-parking/

pretty much all of the western washington ski areas... I think Hood and Bachelor as well?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
With the OP being from AZ I'm guessing that most winter driving experience is limited to ski trips. That combined with the notoriously poor handling in snow of 15,000lb dual rear wheel RVs, makes for a bad combination.

That said my purpose built ski area parking lot RV is a pop-up diesel 4X4 pickup truck camper. It has an air bag suspension on front and rear axles and fully loaded weighs 8800lbs. Even with great 4X4 traction it tends to want to go in the direction that it is pointed. The pop top lowers the centre of gravity which helps reduce sway on mountain switchbacks and less buffeting at highway speeds. A manual 5 speed transmission allows less need for braking when in 2nd or 3rd gear mountain descents.

Most RVs are not equipped as well as mine and I have still had a few white knuckle experiences.

Winter living in an RV:

After skiing it can get pretty cramped in a small space, wet ski clothes and melting snow add to condensation along with warm exhaled breath which tends to liquefy when it hits cold RV walls.

A 20lb propane tank in summer can power a RV absorption fridge for 1 or 2 months but that same tank will last 2-4 days in winter fueling a propane furnace. And the battery that powers the 12volt furnace fan will last even fewer days. Between cloudy days (or weeks) plus snow on panels makes solar power a non starter in ski country. OK you might get a few amps in sunny Colorado.

Even RVs marketed as winter ready are most likely going to have water pipes freeze in really cold weather. I don't use my water system in winter, instead I pack water in 5 gallon jugs, heat water on the stove, use a primitive low flow portable shower, and drain dirty water into a 5 gallon jug.

Most RVers at places like Crystal and Stevens Pass I would guess are there for the weekend only and don't shower in the RV. Some places like Mt. Bachelor have on site coin showers.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammoth RV Park is open during the winter with electric and cable for sure. I'm not sure about water and sewer. I've only stayed there in summer. They do have excellent showers and restrooms. The location is very good.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
DanoT should be considered the authority on this subject. I have a friend with a big RV trailer towed with a third wheel behind a Dodge Ram V-10 diesel. He and his wife do extensive month or longer trips in it. He does not use it for skiing until mid-spring at Mammoth, and even then he tends to stay in the RV park at McGee Creek rather than the one near town in Mammoth. I'm sure that's because he wants to avoid driving that rig in the snow.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Not many in Colorado that I'm aware of, might be helpful to others if you distinguish between RV-friendly (i.e. you can park there or nearby) and RV-services (i.e. shore power, water, etc)

Wolf Creek allows parking in their lot if you notify parking lot staff.
Loveland has some spots you can pull a smaller RV into about a mile away from the resort (no services.)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd think there would be a lot of problems with the water spickets and hoses freezing up.

TS
Shifterkart

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier
With the OP being from AZ I'm guessing that most winter driving experience is limited to ski trips. That combined with the notoriously poor handling in snow of 15,000lb dual rear wheel RVs, makes for a bad combination.

That said my purpose built ski area parking lot RV is a pop-up diesel 4X4 pickup truck camper. It has an air bag suspension on front and rear axles and fully loaded weighs 8800lbs. Even with great 4X4 traction it tends to want to go in the direction that it is pointed. The pop top lowers the centre of gravity which helps reduce sway on mountain switchbacks and less buffeting at highway speeds. A manual 5 speed transmission allows less need for braking when in 2nd or 3rd gear mountain descents.

Most RVs are not equipped as well as mine and I have still had a few white knuckle experiences.

Winter living in an RV:

After skiing it can get pretty cramped in a small space, wet ski clothes and melting snow add to condensation along with warm exhaled breath which tends to liquefy when it hits cold RV walls.

A 20lb propane tank in summer can power a RV absorption fridge for 1 or 2 months but that same tank will last 2-4 days in winter fueling a propane furnace. And the battery that powers the 12volt furnace fan will last even fewer days. Between cloudy days (or weeks) plus snow on panels makes solar power a non starter in ski country. OK you might get a few amps in sunny Colorado.

Even RVs marketed as winter ready are most likely going to have water pipes freeze in really cold weather. I don't use my water system in winter, instead I pack water in 5 gallon jugs, heat water on the stove, use a primitive low flow portable shower, and drain dirty water into a 5 gallon jug.

Most RVers at places like Crystal and Stevens Pass I would guess are there for the weekend only and don't shower in the RV. Some places like Mt. Bachelor have on site coin showers.

Lots of great info and several challenges I had not yet thought of. I spent most of my life in Michigan so I am familiar and comfortable with winter driving but still would limit or delay trips based on conditions and the nature of the road. Also considering pulling a toad and use the Motorhome as a home base?

Not many in Colorado that I'm aware of, might be helpful to others if you distinguish between RV-friendly (i.e. you can park there or nearby) and RV-services (i.e. shore power, water, etc)

I would imagine we would be boondocking most of the time but shore power would be nice. I think parking onsite or nearby would be dependent on the road. If it is a tight twisting mountain road nearby would be preferred but if it is easy access then on site would be nice.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is a RVerSkier thread from a few years ago:
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/17-camper-friendly-ski-resorts.131/

Aspen Ski Corp owns the Aspen-Basalt Campground and they have closed it down and are building staff accommodation on the site. There might be some overnight parking allowed in a parking lot across from the Intercept Lot or I might try driving to where the plowing ends on highway 82 past Aspen where Highway 82 closes for the winter.

Meadows Campground near Sun Valley is open in winter and was $35/night, electric only, no water, no washrooms.

Whistler RV Campground about 10 miles south of town, is open in winter and $40CDN/night for electricity with washrooms/showers. Steep switchback access from the highway.

The Government Campground near the Village of Lake Louise has some sites that are plowed in winter and 24 hour washrooms/showers for $35/night and less than 5 minute drive to the skiing. Go to the Alberta Rockies in March or April when the sometimes brutally cold mid winter is over. There is good Springtime snow preservation in the Rockies.

Most B.C. resort allows overnight RV parking, Red and Whitewater have $10/night electric plug-ins.

There is a campground open in winter near Jackson Hole but the recently remodeled Motel 6 in Jackson is $50/night in winter and is about the same price as the campground and there are other cheap lodgings in Jackson.

Sandy Utah also has cheap Motel6 and other cheap accommodation. I have also stayed in my RV at the Park and Ride and took the bus to Alta/Snowbird for around $5, similar cost to gain access to the swimming pool/sauna/spa at the Alta Canyon Rec Center across the street from the bus stop.

SnowBasin, Utah does not allow overnight parking but there are some snowmobile staging areas nearby.

I have stayed in the parking lot at Winter Park on the shuttle bus line with no one bothering me.

At Copper the security guys were on me as soon as I pulled onto their lot. "No staying overnight in the parking lot but the Walmart in Frisco about 6 miles away allows RV parking", they said. The sign in the Walmart parking lot says "No Overnight Parking" but I staying around the side of the building with no problems and there were never less than 6 RVs in the lot while I was there for 4 or 5 nights.

The official policy at the Home Depot in Avon, near Vail, is "No Overnight Parking", but no one says anything or checks and there were several RVs there when I was there a few years ago.

When Moonlight Basin was separate from Big Sky it was OK to stay in one of their rarely used parking lots. Now they are part of Big Sky, the security guys came by after my second night and said "No Overnight Camping Allowed, but you can stay one more night before you have to leave.":golfclap:

Also about a mile or so past the turn off for Big Sky is a snowmobile staging area but without 4X4 it could be tricky getting in and out.

Bridger Bowl: Check with Guest Services and they will tell you where to park.

My fallback last resort position is to find an auto repair shop or RV store to park at for the night or pull into a private business parking lot after they close and leave before they open in the morning.

Generally speaking I find it is better to apologize after the fact than to ask for parking permission in advance and then get turned down.

Last edited:

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Winter living in an RV:

I have often fantasized about RVing around the country to one resort after another in winter.
You just talked me out of it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt Bachelor

Bachelor has "Preferred Parking" near the lifts and washrooms. $15/night (I think) for no services and coin operated showers. I usually just stay in a grocery store parking lot in Bend.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's funny, this has me thinking about a trip now.

OK, here are some more things to consider:

GENERATOR:

The bigger RVs usually have an on board Gen set that is plumbed to the propane or gas tank and are high output fuel guzzlers designed to operate micro waves and air conditioners.

The portable generators are smaller, lighter, and often quieter. Yamaha and Honda are by far the most popular and are very quiet. My Honda 2000watt is less than 50lbs and less than 50 decibels. Made in China gens can be purchased for hundreds less than Yamaha and Honda but will not deliver the reliability or longevity.

When it is getting dark and the temp is 0F and dropping and the china generator won't start = worthless.
Honda or Yamaha starts on the 3rd or 4th pull = priceless.

Generators come from the factory with carburetor jets designed for use at about 5000' ASL and lower. At higher elevations like Colorado, the gen will be less efficient and burn rich. This means it burns slightly more fuel, delivers slightly less power and is not as easy to start. However burning rich will not damage the engine. A different leaner burning carb jet can be installed to make the engine run better. However those lean burning jets when run at low elevation can cause the engine to burn too lean (too much oxygen, not enough fuel) and this can severely damage an engine. So, it is best to not change out the carb jets, just put up with a little less efficiency at elevation.

Originally I was going to buy a 1000watt or less gen set just to charge batteries but I am glad I got the 2000watt (1600watt continuous) Honda instead. I soon learned that when the camper battery is low and the propane furnace comes on (and stays on when it is really cold) it will drawn down the battery almost as fast as my charger will charge the battery. The solution is to turn off the propane furnace and plug in a 1000watt electric space heater, 180watt battery charger, electric ski boot dryer, phone and laptop charger.

I will have some "Buying an RV" tips in a later post.

Last edited:

janeskis

Putting on skis
Skier
Ski areas we have camped at:

Wolf Creek
Monarch
Crested Butte- had to pay 10$ per day.
Sipapu
Pajarito
Ski Santa Fe

We also stayed in a park and ride lot in Eden, and rode the bus to Powder Mountain.

Sponsor

Staff online