• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rocker?

Dixie Flatline

Booting up
Skier
The skis on the bottom are the ones we picked up for my daughter this year. The ones on the top are the ones she had last year. I just noticed the difference. I think this is called rocker.

Why are the new ones so different, and is it a problem? She's a beginner.
PXL_20231119_204952402~2.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not only does the second one have "rocker" or early rise in the top and tail, it does not have camber underfoot like the top one does. Camber creates a connection to the snow for more edge control, the second one with the zero camber will not have that connection, imagine driving in the rail with tires with no tread and what control you have. Also, the second one, although it is longer, it will actually ski shorter than the one abovebecause of that lack of camber and the rise in the tip and tail.

TS
D

Dixie Flatline

Booting up
Skier
So I bought the wrong skis basically? I have another set more like the top ones but a little longer, but don't have bindings

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I bought the wrong skis basically? I have another set more like the top ones but a little longer, but don't have bindings
Unless she is in a freestyle program, you probably did.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My girls learned on traditional but I'll note since they're recreationist skiers, they tend to adapt quickly to their skis and never really found any they didn't like.

However I agree that the rockers ski much shorter but for certain stuff, my kids liked this just fine. Since bought, it may be she likes em just fine and maybe for ends up liking em fine.

The ones without bindings, if mounted, they'll ski much longer than the rockers.

Fun side comment, rocker on snowboard worked out better for my youngest, technically she had the Roxy "banana" as her second board but it's shape was more forgiving than that of a standard cambered board. I think this may be true of skis, simply not as pronounced.

@Philpug would know far more than I ... it's his job ;)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is traditional?
Sorry, I was referring to one with slight rise in tip/tail, cambered in middle - like your top photo.

more what was "common" in the 80/90s, prior to newer such as rockers that have a much more pronounced rise in tip, maybe none in mid, etc. I suspect rocker maybe from Rocking Chair profile.

This shows some examples, I will say I like Evo.com as when you look at a ski, they show the general profile. Reading reviews here is great to get a better feel for skis in general.

Sponsor