• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Replacement goggle strap?

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just bought a new pair of goggles as the strap on my old ones (Briko Lavas) has lost it's mojo. Frame, lens, and foam are still OK, but the strap is toast. I'd like to keep them around as a backup. Has anyone replaced or know of a source for a universal replacement? So far the ones I've seen online are pretty manufacturer specific. Thanks!

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The great goggle scam. The $3 strap gets fatigued, so you must buy new goggles. They don't sell straps. The best I've found was finding a cheap Smith goggle with the same strap as my expensive Smiths...fill in your brand. I harvested the strap, tossed the goggles, and it worked for me. The straps don't look like they're easy to change, but some worker put the strap on, so we can find a way to get one off and the new one on.

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
I purchased a new pair of Smith I/O Mag XL goggles at the start of Jan 2024. Within less than 2 months (30 days of use), I noticed the straps sort of getting stretched/bucklling(??) near where it connects to the goggles (on both sides). The same thing happened to my previous pair of Smith I/O XL goggles. I never saw this on my Oakley goggle (nor on my other family member's goggle, Smith or Anon brand). My helmet is a Smith helmet, size L/XL. Strap is set at almost the longest length.

Anybody else have this problem with their ski goggle straps?

Note: the store is working on getting me a replacement goggle under warranty.

1000021062.jpg
1000021063.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve had Oakleys lose their stretch but after years, not months. (Canopy) Still, it’s not like it was 10 yrs.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My helmet is a Smith helmet, size L/XL. Strap is set at almost the longest length.

You are over stretching the strap.
Extend the strap buckle with a goggle helmet helper will probably extend the life of the strap.
I use Smith goggles. My straps do not look like that until after 300 ski days.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I purchased a new pair of Smith I/O Mag XL goggles at the start of Jan 2024. Within less than 2 months (30 days of use), I noticed the straps sort of getting stretched/bucklling(??) near where it connects to the goggles (on both sides). The same thing happened to my previous pair of Smith I/O XL goggles. I never saw this on my Oakley goggle (nor on my other family member's goggle, Smith or Anon brand). My helmet is a Smith helmet, size L/XL. Strap is set at almost the longest length.

I too had Smith I/O Mag XL and the strap did the same thing, but mine started to separate from the frame. I tried to investigate but then I fully detached the strap. The strap is held to the frame by a plastic strip with plastic pins that look to be sonic welded to the frame.

I took Phil's and advise and bought a new strap at 50% off and fortunately it came with a new frame and 2 lenses :ogbiggrin:. So I now use the new frame with my old lenses and have a new set of backup lenses as.

Hopefully this strap doesn't separate.
Otherwise I'll employ the Beverly Hillbillies solution for a belt.

Beverly 8.JPG

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
You are over stretching the strap.
Extend the strap buckle with a goggle helmet helper will probably extend the life of the strap.
I use Smith goggles. My straps do not look like that until after 300 ski days.
Thanks for pointing out the Smith google helmet helper, but I can set the straps a little looser on my goggles. When I extend the straps to the max length, then the goggles feel like they won't stay in place. It feels like the foam is bouncing off my face and letting some air in.

So, how tight should the goggles be on mour face? I know this would be highly subjective as we aren't measuring the tension in the straps.

Or is the current goggle strap extension set too short for putting the goggles onto my helmet. I tend to do that when i am not moving (such as in lift lines). If that is the case, my face is too small for my helmet!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, how tight should the goggles be on mour face? I know this would be highly subjective as we aren't measuring the tension in the straps.

Depends on how smooth is your skiing. It shouldn't move on your face when you are skiing. Regardless of terrain.

Or is the current goggle strap extension set too short for putting the goggles onto my helmet. I tend to do that when i am not moving (such as in lift lines). If that is the case, my face is too small for my helmet!

Can't say without actually seeing the goggle/helmet/head combo.
I have found I had to extend my Smith goggle strap to the max when I am wearing a helmet (M/L). Hence we have the older Smith goggle helmet helper (no buckle) on all our goggles.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have found I had to extend my Smith goggle strap to the max when I am wearing a helmet (M/L). Hence we have the older Smith goggle helmet helper (no buckle) on all our goggles.

Can't find it on the current Smith web page; other locations/sources?

Sponsor

Staff online