• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, @Bob Barnes is a member here. I'm sure he has the original of his encyclopedia. Your copy of "A" above is full of links to photos on epicski, so it's not doing what you hope.

I also suspect @Bob Peters has local backups of his fantastic stuff too.

I'd concentrate more on content without a single author. I'm trying to decide if I am feeling ambitious enough to rescue some of the Gathering trip reports from past years. Someone is already attacking the retro memories thread. What else is a high priority?

Speaking as a guy with an attic full of stuff, losing 18 years of history may not be all bad.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
A sudden realization: We have Josh. That's why Epic is shutting down. Epic used to have Josh, but after he was booted, it was just a matter of time.

This is definitely the reason why. What's a skiing forum without Josh? Nothing. It's nothing without Josh.

All of us here at SkiEssentials.com want to extend a big welcome to any new members coming over from EpicSki! We can generally offer PugSki members an additional 10% off your order. Just PM us here or give our customer service team a call!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Epic Ski was the pathway for so many adventures and new friends. I've stated previously that @Philpug changed my life for the better when I met him during the Pa. skiing days. I will always remember going to my first Gathering at Summit County, where met a ton of friends that I previously had not known. The relationships developed with good skiers and good people is what it is all about. Very thankful that Phil and Trish, and friends, had the vision and energy to start Pugski, where would we be if this forum had not started?

Phil and Trish think of themselves as stewards of Pugski and the community owns the content. I think we all know better and recognized the difference between this forum and Epic lies mostly in the ownership of the leaders. They have worked an amazing number of hours in the past year+.

RIP Epic Ski, an orphaned child with nowhere to go..

On a tangent, I would love to see a "Best of Bob Barnes" sub-forum where his extensive writings could be collected in an organized manner for all to read. Not necessarily an open forum where discussions occur, but, as a great reference. There are far too few written source materials in the world of skiing.

Last edited:

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On a tangent, I would love to see a "Best of Bob Barnes" sub-forum where his extensive writings could be collected in an organized manner for all to read. Not necessarily an open forum where discussions occur, but, as a great reference. There are far too few written source materials in the world of skiing.
I think this is a great idea! :wag:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What can I say. I was a moderator over there for over 10 years with Trish and Phil. I met some amazing people, learned grunches, and had fun. Hate to be A.C., Dave, or Joan right now. They put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into developing, nurturing, and growing EpicSki into what it became. For Mt. News and Vail to allow it to just go away is downright stupid.

McEl

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, @Bob Barnes is a member here. I'm sure he has the original of his encyclopedia. Your copy of "A" above is full of links to photos on epicski, so it's not doing what you hope.

I also suspect @Bob Peters has local backups of his fantastic stuff too.

I'd concentrate more on content without a single author. I'm trying to decide if I am feeling ambitious enough to rescue some of the Gathering trip reports from past years. Someone is already attacking the retro memories thread. What else is a high priority?

Speaking as a guy with an attic full of stuff, losing 18 years of history may not be all bad.
If that is the case, a worthwhile effort would be for those on PUG with the expertise to do so to download the glossary in a manner that can be saved elsewhere. The whole Glossary is now on the Ski School forum here.
McEl

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
As others have said I am not surprised. I believe it was suggested at the time that Epicski change it's name (BarkingBear Forums?) in order to survive as an independent?Not gonna re read that whole sad thread but that is my recollection. Whatever - too late now.

What once was will only now reside in my memory after 4/28

There will be a lot of fond memories....the few fights I participated in will vaporize and the memories will be happy ones.The friends I made in the ski reality world because of EpicSki remain friends and many of the virtual friends have stayed friends across forums too!

All the newbies asking for help now will come here and happily receive the same assistance as in 2005 worded differently at times but updated, valid and welcome just the same. Those happy few of us who need to remember a few things we will. The older we get the better we used to be so some of us have that going for us too! The terrible loss of 18 years content will be replaced by new content.....and the happy memories of lost threads and great content/entertainment will linger. Many of us asked and answered the same questions over and over and over anyway so that will continue here as it should.

I won't be skiing at Stowe tho.....it's still the Bush in Vermont for me!

PugSki is much more than a bailout a lot of the good folks have been here from day 1....some not super active but always checking in.

Fear not! It's all good.

Remember I've said before If you ski you're my friend.

Still true.

So Shaddap and ski.....

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
EpicSki is how I met Phil and Tricia, and got some great instruction from Bob Barnes. It set me on the path to being a better skier. What a massively stupid decision to shut down that forum and lose all that valuable content.

Kudos to Phil and Tricia for starting Pugski and providing a home for all of us. My job curtails my time that I can read/post online, but nevertheless, it's been a valuable place for me.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Really enjoyed my time on Epic - some really good folks on there. suprised its shutting down,but sounds like its not too shocking to others...Im happy to see some familiar names on Pugski! just when i win my featured photographer badge they shut it down. ogwink I've been lurking on Pugski 4 a bit and looks like a great forum so here i am. Ill be sending reports/updates from Snowbird and Alta and contribute what i can.

:daffy:

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I think, although it would be hard to prove after too many years, that I sort of predicted something like this when Vail bought Epic. I love their lame excuse. Someone really must have had to hold their nose to write that drivel.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Epic Ski was the pathway for so many adventures and new friends. I've stated previously that @Philpug changed my life for the better when I met him during the Pa. skiing days. I will always remember going to my first Gathering at Summit County, where met a ton of friends that I previously had not known. The relationships developed with good skiers and good people is what it is all about. Very thankful that Phil and Trish, and friends, had the vision and energy to start Pugski, where would we be if this forum had not started?

Phil and Trish think of themselves as stewards of Pugski and the community owns the content. I think we all know better and recognized the difference between this forum and Epic lies mostly in the ownership of the leaders. They have worked an amazing number of hours in the past year+.

RIP Epic Ski, an orphaned child with nowhere to go..

I agree @Living Proof , I just found pugski and have only referenced epicski in specific searches. I started trolling epic for @Bob Barnes material and was reading this thread (http://www.epicski.com/t/120459/staying-forward-racers) with complete interest and fascination. The passion, knowledge and contentiousness is riveting reading. I hope this type of material is not lost. Some of it seems too valuable to disappear. Cheers

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
It was good while it lasted. I'm glad Pugski was able to get up and running strong before the bottom fell out at Epic. Sad to lose all the Retro Memories content. I hope someone can rescue it.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@Tricia and @Philpug - You're gonna need to start showing member join numbers somewhere - so those of us who joined Pugski before EpicSki shut down have a badge of pride!

Seriously though, I do hope someone does download or reposts the educational material that was on EpicSki. I was much more of a lurker there, just reading what came up in specific Google searches or digging through specific threads (was just looking at one about leaky boots), and only joined and started posting there recently. It really is sad that all the content will be lost.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia and @Philpug - You're gonna need to start showing member join numbers somewhere - so those of us who joined Pugski before EpicSki shut down have a badge of pride!

Seriously though, I do hope someone does download or reposts the educational material that was on EpicSki. I was much more of a lurker there, just reading what came up in specific Google searches or digging through specific threads (was just looking at one about leaky boots), and only joined and started posting there recently. It really is sad that all the content will be lost.
I think about 60 NEW so far...many already had dual citizenship and were already here.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If not, he is well appreciated over at Newschoolers. Kind of a cult hero at that.
I've had an email exchange with Jacques. He's good to go!
Also, this platform is friendly for posting instagram videos as well as Facebook, not limited to vimeo and youtube like Huddler

Sponsor

Staff online