• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recovering from a pulled glute, what say you?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
My hip injury creates instability for my leg and unfortunately about 2 weeks ago I had a minor slip on snow while getting my skis from the rack and I pulled my right upper glute. I felt a sharp pain at the time and it radiated up my back. That night I stiffened up to a level I've never experienced before and I've been dealing with a higher level of pain that surprises me. My entire hip complex is really messed up (torn labrum, strained flexors) and I have also developed pain in the distal end of my right quad.

There is a lot of conflicting info regarding the best protocol for recovery from the glute pull. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has been through this and found what works best. I would have loved to get a consultation with my ortho, but I cannot get an appointment with him for over a month. The pain in my hip/glute has been so bad over the past week that I've come close to just heading to the emergency room. I may end up doing that just to get some professional care.

So what should I be doing? This is the stuff I need better direction on:
  • Rest
  • Ice
  • Heat
  • Massage
  • Stretching
I need help fast because I'm leaving on a ski trip in a few days and am supposed to be skiing again on Thursday. TIA :)

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't had that kind of injury, but I can't see where any of those things you listed would be bad. My ortho often says that if something doesn't hurt while you are doing it then it is probably OK (not a direct quote, of course). If this was me I would try to message my ortho and see if he/she or an assistant could give me some guidance. If the pain is as bad as you are describing, then I personally would head to the ER.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you need faster recovery. You should also take nsaids for the inflammation phase.

I prefer naproxen (aleeve) for sports injury at max dose (which is like 3 a day 660mg) for a few days even if feeling a bit better.

When I had a chronic hip injury the orthopedic doctor gave me prescription for naproxen 500mg 3x a day (so 1500mg a day) almost a triple dose vs otc, to take for 7 days to knock it out as first phase of treatment....so I'm ok on the safety margin of exceeding otc dosing instructions especially if you are otherwise healthy. Only after the inflammation was knocked down then I started PT, but still on a maintenance dose of nsaids until a couple weeks into PT.

I think you do not do the heat, massage, and stretching until inflammation phase is over. If pain is that bad that is a sign that maybe you are still in that phase. That would worsen inflammation rather than speed recovery.

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Many years ago, I pulled a glute. Pharmacist said to apply moist heat, that the glute is a deep muscle and dry heat won't reach it.

If you can't get to a doctor or don't think you need to at this point, you might talk to a pharmacist. Personally, I'd look for a gray-haired one, same as I do with bootfitters.

COSkier87

Getting on the lift
Skier
Whenever I had a similar situation, I would first take a warm bath, loosen up the muscles, then I would either deeply massage the muscle area while in the bath or take a lacrosse ball or runner's bar (both painful but effective) to the muscle area after and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, then a therapeutic massage, then a physical therapist. Might be worth seeing a primary care provider if it's bothering you enough to want to go to the emergency room.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any sport rehap therapeutic massage professionals in your area? When I tore my calf muscle ski racing, ( I know, the glute is different ) I went to one that was highly recommended by ski racers in my area for similar injuries and it cut my recovery time by less than half the normal time for a similar injury. It's worth a shot. They get blood flowing deep in the injured muscle.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you need faster recovery. You should also take nsaids for the inflammation phase.

I prefer naproxen (aleeve) for sports injury at max dose (which is like 3 a day 660mg) for a few days even if feeling a bit better.

When I had a chronic hip injury the orthopedic doctor gave me prescription for naproxen 500mg 3x a day (so 1500mg a day) almost a triple dose vs otc, to take for 7 days to knock it out as first phase of treatment....so I'm ok on the safety margin of exceeding otc dosing instructions especially if you are otherwise healthy. Only after the inflammation was knocked down then I started PT, but still on a maintenance dose of nsaids until a couple weeks into PT.

I think you do not do the heat, massage, and stretching until inflammation phase is over. If pain is that bad that is a sign that maybe you are still in that phase. That would worsen inflammation rather than speed recovery.

Be careful with Aleve at high dosages, very important that you always have food in your stomach. I did a high dose regimen once and forgot to eat for one of the dosages. The stomach pain was so bad I had to get a prescription to cure it and now consider myself sensitive to naproxen and won't take it.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For a topical analgesic, I haven’t found one better than this. Including cbd, thc, voltaren, etc. Obviously everyone reacts differently but most people I know who have used it have gone out and bought their own.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For a topical analgesic, I haven’t found one better than this. Including cbd, thc, voltaren, etc. Obviously everyone reacts differently but most people I know who have used it have gone out and bought their own.
I have not heard of this. Will look into it.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any lower back pain? Hamstring? As someone who has two hip replacements, I’m all too familiar with the architecture of this area . Step one as mentioned above, get the inflammation down - until this is done, you really don’t know what’s going on (although an MRI can show you immediately ) . Given the schedule you’re working against, I think the sooner you see a medical professional, the better off you’ll be. Good luck.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would have loved to get a consultation with my ortho, but I cannot get an appointment with him for over a month.

I've been in this exact situation twice. I found out his office hours, and just showed up at the beginning of them, and said that I was suffering, and would be glad to wait for an opening. I was cheerfully seen both times.

Not sure whether your schedule allows for this approach, so TIFWIW.

So sorry, and right before a ski trip. Damn.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Taking a nsaid of the worst advice you can give in this case. All research shows that it delays healing. Inflammation is your body's way of healing.

Anyway, ice only for the first couple of days, then 13 minutes heat, followed by 20 minutes ice, repeat a few times a day.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
After my ACL surgery I was told no ibuprofen or aleve, only acetaminophen , the first two delay healing.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Um if he's still in massive pain 2weeks after the incident, that is evidence regular healing path is not working and he's stuck in an inflammation cycle, which needs to be broken.
That was what happened to me, except it was months of hip pain due to inflammation, not just weeks and what worked for me under doctors orders..

If you have some new-age method to break the cycle, go for it.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyway, ice only for the first couple of days, then 13 minutes heat, followed by 20 minutes ice, repeat a few times a day.

Let's all remember that the man who coined, and made famous, the RICE approach has walked it back loudly and publicly.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Um if he's still in massive pain 2weeks after the incident, that is evidence regular healing path is not working and he's stuck in an inflammation cycle, which needs to be broken.
That was what happened to me, except it was months of hip pain due to inflammation, not just weeks and what worked for me under doctors orders..

If you have some new-age method to break the cycle, go for it.

Too bad it's winter and he can't go out and swim in poison ivy - get a Prednisone scrip.

#2birdsonestone

Sponsor

Staff online