• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Purchasing just boots

QuickSleet

Booting up
Skier
Hi I’m pretty new to skiing. I don’t think I’m ready to buy my own skis yet but do any of you have your own boots and just rent the skis? I feel this would give a much more comfortable experience.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Any rental shop should be willing to adjust their bindings to your boots. Having boots and renting skis is a legitimate way to approach things. Boots that are specific to your feet are vastly more important than the "correct" skis.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi I’m pretty new to skiing. I don’t think I’m ready to buy my own skis yet but do any of you have your own boots and just rent the skis? I feel this would give a much more comfortable experience.

You are on the right track - What @KevinF said! Would you rather have loose steering and the best Michelin tires on your car? Or perfect power steering with generic tires? It's exactly like that.

Which takes me to the next point: don't just "buy comfortable boots". Please go to a good ski shop. Avoid big box generic retailers. The shop should have properly trained boot-fitters that will ask you what you need, and get you boots that are, sure, no uncomfortable, but tight enough that you can control your skis precisely. Tell them that you are new to skiing, so the boots will be softer, and less expensive. They might need to modify them a bit so that you are perfectly square. They normally charge you retail price for the boots and include the boot-fitting in the price of the boot.

Feel free to ask for recommendations here for ski-shops in your area. Overall, the best shops tend to be close to ski areas, but we can be more specific. I can't emphasize how important the boot-fitter is in the process.

TS
Q

QuickSleet

Booting up
Skier
Any rental shop should be willing to adjust their bindings to your boots. Having boots and renting skis is a legitimate way to approach things. Boots that are specific to your feet are vastly more important than the "correct" skis.
Thank you

TS
Q

QuickSleet

Booting up
Skier
You are on the right track - What @KevinF said! Would you rather have loose steering and the best Michelin tires on your car? Or perfect power steering with generic tires? It's exactly like that.

Which takes me to the next point: don't just "buy comfortable boots". Please go to a good ski shop. Avoid big box generic retailers. The shop should have properly trained boot-fitters that will ask you what you need, and get you boots that are, sure, no uncomfortable, but tight enough that you can control your skis precisely. Tell them that you are new to skiing, so the boots will be softer, and less expensive. They might need to modify them a bit so that you are perfectly square. They normally charge you retail price for the boots and include the boot-fitting in the price of the boot.

Feel free to ask for recommendations here for ski-shops in your area. Overall, the best shops tend to be close to ski areas, but we can be more specific. I can't emphasize how important the boot-fitter is in the process.
Thank you. Makes sense. I will look into shops in my area (central NJ)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

That’s a very wise way to start the ball rolling. Make sure your boots fit well then keep renting different skis until you know what you like best.

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
Just took this route with my daughter and it has changed her whole ski experience. Now she can demo rather than rent and enjoy new ski technology as well until she gets out of school later this spring and we can get her skis that she has actually tried and succeeded in. Properly fitting boots change everything. Good move imo!

TS
Q

QuickSleet

Booting up
Skier
It's North Jersey - I'd urge Ski Barn in Wayne. If you can, make an appointment with Greg Pier for a fitting. Other staff there are reasonably knowledgeable too if he is not available and your feet are average proportions.
Great I will look him up. Not too far.

Sponsor

Staff online